Forum home Weddings abroad

Planning My Tuscany Wedding 2020

Hi All,

I’m new here so I apologise if this has already been asked or there is a thread about this that already exists. It’s going to be a long one!

Believe it or not, I’m a UK based wedding photographer myself and I’m now planning my very own wedding. I can help my own couples with their UK based weddings but I’ve not a clue where to start with planning my own wedding abroad! I fell in love with Italy from a young age and it’s an absolute dream to photograph a wedding there (or anywhere in Europe 😍) and have my own wedding there too!! not Photographed there yet but I’m determined to get hitched there! Cannoli? yes please!!

I have so many questions in this very early stage and I just happened to google search planning a wedding abroad where I found this forum so here we go!

1) Venues...? I’d love a little insight into the best venues

2) Cost for a wedding in Tuscany. One thing I’ve struggled with is finding answerd about budgets and overall costs

3) As a wedding photographer I have a handful of trusted suppliers I’d love to have with me abroad. This includes a fellow photographer, a videographer, a make-up + hair artist and possibly an acoustic duo to sing at the wedding. However, I’m unsure of whether wedding planners/venues allow outside suppliers? I’m sure they do as I’ve had friends photograph weddings in Europe before (which is such a dream!!) 

4) Do I pay for my guests to fly out and their accommodation? or do they pay? 

5) on the day, is it just the civil wedding and then drinks/meal or can/will the day involve a little party/first dance etc 

6) how much in advance would I need to arrive at the wedding venue before the wedding day? 

apologies for the lengthy post I’m just eager to start budgeting and getting the show on the road. All the info shared would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Pri 

• Matt20Matt20 Posts: 31 New bride

I occasionally shoot destination weddings and must say Tuscany is a stunning setting. We just dont know whats going to happen with the Brexit so you will have to keep an eye on that

Matt 

• Jeff13Jeff13 Posts: 3

Hiya.  As far as I'm aware venues will let you use the photographer you want too. That's how the Chateau's, I work with, do things although you may find wedding planners to be a little more restrictive. As for a Brexit, it shouldn't impact any local or even Europe based photographers but it may make things more difficult if you are wanting a GB operator. I don't know anyone in Italy but as a photographer here in France I know people, including me, who will travel and are used to shooting at nice locations. You can contact me through the website www.jeffanddebzphotography.com and if you don't like what you see, I'll point you at a couple others. I don't think I can point you at hair and makeup that will travel but I'll give you couple of names to try. Good Luck

• Hi Pri,

Congratulations on your engagement.

If we can assist in any way, we are an online Italian wedding directory. It is free to use and we feature a number of venues and suppliers all across Italy, including Tuscany.

https://stylemyweddingitaly.com/

Kind Regards,

Alice (Style My Wedding Italy)

• Hi Pri, 

Congrats on your engagement. 

I am also in the middle of planning my wedding in Tuscany for 2020. After hours on research speaking to UK based wedding planners I decided to do it all myself - Crazy!! 

There is hundreds of venues in Tuscany which allow weddings, we spent many nights searching Villa's / Farmhouses etc which have accommodations or our wedding party & which will allow weddings. Looking at Homesaway.com etc

We arranged a number of viewings & flew out did it all ourselves - This saved us around $500-$1000 not having a planner do this and come with the viewings with us. It was great, we found out perfect venue & a wedding for around 40 people has now turned in to 70!

Soon as the venue was booked I found this website

www.matrimonio.com

This is like the Italian version of hitch.co.uk with hundred of suppliers, catering, flowers, photographers & I contact then direct. Without 6 months we pretty much have all our wedding booked & planned & will be flying in in March 2019 to do our tasting 

I have also arranged a lady in Tuscany to sort all my legal paperwork out so we are able to have a civil wedding at the Villa in front of the most amazing brides. 

My best advice so far, don't just accept the first quote! Specially if you are doing it all yourself! 

• Hi Pri,

Having a wedding planner could really help you- if you find the right one, who really does a good job, then they will be incredibly valuable.

Somewhere along the way wedding planners have picked up a not-so-great reputation, which is a shame as some of us work really hard to do our very best and work outside the mould. 

For example, we are open to working with any photographers as long as they have a professional work ethic and fit our clients' preferred style. You are not forced to go with our recommended suppliers- but our suppliers are recommended based on merit and because we know they will deliver a great service, tried and tested.

Maybe write to a few planners, get a feel for them and see if you think they could be a worthy investment for you. Make sure they are fully bi-lingual (eg. I am English but speak Italian fluently).

Best wishes,

Catherine 

• xPWxxPWx Posts: 20 New bride
    @Peepott you are BRAVE lady. I would love to hear more about your wedding plans. Wishing you all the luck organising it.  honestly, we are struggling at the moment as I’ve just gone down to part time work (not something I wanted to do but job cuts and new home!!) 

I will look into the website you recommended for sure :) thank you for the tips and the heads up. Now that my logging in mess is sorted on this forum hopefully I can share more about how far I get with everything. 
    @TheWeddingBoutiqueItaly

hi there, we are currently on hold because of Brexit so just awaiting to hear the outcome and we will resume with the planning. Do you know of any affects Brexit may have? Also, our budget is very small for 20-25 people we have a budget of about £15,000 maximum yet due to my job hours changing all of a sudden. 

i’d love to hear more about the venues available for my criteria. 

Pri x
  • I know this is an old thread but initially I was feeling exactly the same about my Tuscan 2020 wedding! We’re off to visit our venue in 2 weeks and we’re both so excited! I spent hours searching the internet but we’ve found a beautiful Agriturismo just outside of Sienna. I emailed about 40-50 different venues before I found ‘the one’! You’ve just got to gather all information you can! Our venue and all it’s amenities are costing us £15,000, excluding a photographer, band and celebrant. We are also paying for a pizza party for the guests the day after the wedding too. I don’t think Brexit will impact your wedding unless you let it. 

Thanks, Rhi x 
    I know this is an old thread but initially I was feeling exactly the same about my Tuscan 2020 wedding! We’re off to visit our venue in 2 weeks and we’re both so excited! I spent hours searching the internet but we’ve found a beautiful Agriturismo just outside of Sienna. I emailed about 40-50 different venues before I found ‘the one’! You’ve just got to gather all information you can! Our venue and all it’s amenities are costing us £15,000, excluding a photographer, band and celebrant. We are also paying for a pizza party for the guests the day after the wedding too. I don’t think Brexit will impact your wedding unless you let it. 

Thanks, Rhi x 
    This sounds like an absolute dream! I am so excited for you. Please do keep me up to date on your journey! It really helps hearing how others have managed their budget and organising their weddings in Italy

pri xx