VAT as Canadians for a wedding in Italy

Hello everyone,

We are from Canada and will celebrate our wedding in Italy. Will we have to pay VAT? Are there general or certain VAT exemptions?

Thanks so much

• Dear Dan,

usually every supplier gives you the quotation including VAT. I don't think you will have exemptions for this kind of things, however I suggest you to ask directly to your accountant, if you have one.

It's a national issue. 

I hope it can helps :)

Sara

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,136 New bride

I’m pretty sure it’s irrelevant -  haven’t seen or heard it mentioned anywhere in all of our research (we get married in Tuscany next May). Most prices we have been given explicitly state X plus tax. For some things this is 10% (our catering for example) but most other services I’m sure are 22%. 

• Hello Dan,

if you have a company registered in Canada,and you ask the suppliers to invoice your company for their services, then you do not pay VAT.

If you are a private person you have to pay VAT

Best Regards

The Singer

• Hi Dan,

You won't be 'exempt; from VAT, unless as The Singer suggests, you can pass the invoices through your company- which might be hard to justify.

VAT in Italy is usually 22%, but is 10% on F & B, transport and some other services. Whoever you are working with (suppliers or planner) should always specify this.

Very often suppliers will quote a NET amount, ie. if paying by bank transfer you will be paying VAT on top. So best to check if it hasn't been explicitly noted.

Best wishes,

Catherine