French Alps

Hi, 

My fiance and I are hoping to plan a summer wedding in the French Alps. We have been looking at the Chamonix and Morzine areas but are open to anything (by Christmas I reckon we'll have sent inquiries to most countries in Europe!!) so we really are open to all suggestions. We will have guests coming from about 6 different countries so the idea of the alps and having big chalets where we can all stay in the same area with plenty of activities sounds perfect for us. 

Has anyone planned a wedding in the Alps before? Or even anywhere in France that would have a good band recommendation as having a great band is one of our top priorities! We just want a really relaxed day with a big party! I'm not keen on spending a load of money on things that will be thrown out at the end of the day (flowers etc.) so even happy to just pop into the local florists/supermarket and pick up a few nice flowers the morning of! 

Any advice at all would be much appreciated!

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,345 New bride

When I was little we used to have our summer holiday is a town called Sameons which is near Chamonix. It is a beautiful little town and they have a few large chalets with self catering units (we stayed at one called La Ceour and La Reniardier - no idea if both are still open) In the summer they used to have loads of things happen in the town in the evening which was lots of fun for us. There is a botanical garden there which is beautiful and often has concerts in the evening. 

Not sure about wedding venues there (though the gardens are beautiful) and I am sure you know all the difficulties of getting legally married there so you'll likely need to do the legal bits here first.  

• I went to a GORGEOUS wedding at the Restaurant La Pointe de Nyon above Morzine a year or two ago.

They had the ceremony on an upstairs balcony, with cow bells clanging in the background, drinks and games on the front terrace, a meal in the main restaurant, and dancing until late on the back terrace. They had amazing tarteflette as their evening food, which was great as it was a totally open bar and the favours were little bottles of genepi!

The couple had a minibus available for guests to use in the evening, going to any and all hotels in Morzine and Les Gets. We stayed in Les Gets in a lovely hotel but were too drunk to appreciate it... hadn't factored in the altitude with the drinking!!

I think they had almost exclusive use of the whole place, but had to put up with locals dropping in for a drink at the bar! The website appears to be down, but might be worth a phone call as it was glorious.