Mykonos wedding - tacky??

Hello! 

Just wanted thoughts on Mykonos as a destination. I think it look beautiful but my partner thinks it's tacky! 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,954 New bride

Why would it be tacky? Magaluf is tacky, Mykonos certainly is not.

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,136 New bride

The word tacky is a weird one as it’s so subjective. Nowadays if I had to picture my own tacky wedding it would be the wedding I always pictured as a teenage girl! And for me some elements I consider tacky are things other people love. I really try to avoid the word if I can! 

I would never think a Mykonos wedding was “tacky” - all of the photos I’ve seen actually look incredible with the backdrop, but I suspect there is a particular element of it that he doesn’t like - get him to try and articulate it better! 

• Kay57Kay57 Posts: 5 New bride

I know, i thought the word tacky was extreme too. So the best way he can articulate is that he thinks it will just have a tourist/party vibe and little authenticity. His preference is for a more classic place in Italy. Greece is a soft spot for me so im hoping to show him its great. 

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,136 New bride

What about Santorini? Similar views but less of a party reputation. There are dozens of other smaller non party islands. I know someone who got married on Agistri and it looked just wonderful and was very chilled/non touristy. The bigger islands are probably easier in terms of finding vendors though, I’d have thought. 

We are getting married in Tuscany - there are some beautiful places! I would have considered Greece but we found flights were longer and on the whole more expensive so ruled it out when thinking of guests. I’ve seen some beautiful wedding photos in Mykonos & Santorini though! I think if you choose your venue carefully it won’t feel touristy or tacky at all. Same as Ibiza - I have seen some stunning weddings there! Far removed from the party scene. Usually the main tourist party resorts are a relatively small part of an island. 

• I'm sure Mykonos is very beautiful! Why don't you look for other islands that meet each others expectations? For example, Madeira Island - Portugal.

It has won many World Travel Awards for best Island destination.

If you need any help to plan your wedding its better to search for Madeira Celebrant, as the regular wedding planners tend to charge so much.

Hope this helps.

• It’s pretty high end there, not tacky at all and I have been.  

• Mykonos is lovely, certainly not tacky and the clubs are amazing but it is Uber expensive. I thought Santorini was until we went here last year. It’s the most expensive of all the Greek islands. We always have a healthy daily budget of €150 but had to double it in Mykonos. Sunbeds in September were €20 EACH and these were the ones away from the sea the sea front ones were €40 in summer it doubles

Mykonos

• ConnyConny Posts: 3

Hi Kay! Mykonos is absolutely not tacky but why getting married on a island that is turned into a bride's island no.1?? There are hundreds of beautiful non-commercial Greek islands where you can have the wedding you dream of!! Need any advice?? Conny.