Italy Coronavirus & Wedding plans

Hi All,
I am new to this forum and meant to be getting Married near Florence in May and wondering if anyone else is due to get married in Italy soon and if they wanted share knowledge of recent events?

Brad 

• hj.brown26hj.brown26 Posts: 4 New bride
    Hi Brad. We're supposed to be getting married in Malcesine in August but now so unsure about whether that will happen or not. Are you using a wedding planner over there and, if so, what have they said about it all?
  • I am getting married July in Sorrento and just contacted my wedding planner and she got back to me within 10 minutes with this: I am writing to give you an update, 
    due to the escalation of the government restrictions enforced in Italy overnight.

The lockdown in Italy is until 3 April, after this time everything is hoping to go back to normal.   The aim of the Italian government is to eradicate the coronavirus and to stop the spread to areas such as Sorrento which are currently not affected.

The FCO ban on flights except for essential travel is temporary and can be lifted anytime and we are hoping your wedding will be unaffected.

I will provide an update on 3 April or

If you would like to discuss your wedding plans please do not hesitate to contact me.

We are here to help you through this difficult current situation.

The wedding planner we are using have been amazing x
    MrsMc2B
  • brad.perrybrad.perry Posts: 4 New bride
    Yes, we are using a wedding planner and they have said items similar to Chester.becky. It’s very much up in the air at the moment and we both just hope that it clears up before we get to May. At the moment our flight is still running but it’s slightly to early to tell. Do any of you have wedding insurance and taken any guidance from them?
    May I ask who you are both using as your wedding planners? We are using www.EuropeWedding.it They have been really good so far
  • hj.brown26hj.brown26 Posts: 4 New bride
    We are using Romantic Weddings on Lake Garda - as ours isn't until August, I haven't contacted the planner just yet but thinking now that I should probably should! I have taken out wedding insurance with Wedding Plan however they have now said this:

You are not covered for the cancellation of your wedding due to the potential outbreak or risk of Coronavirus. However, the cancellation section of the policy will cover the following (in line with the regular T&Cs)
    1) the booked venue for the wedding or wedding reception being unable to hold your wedding due to an outbreak of infectious or contagious disease, damage to the venue, murder or suicide at the premises or closure of the venue by the relevant authority
    2) the death, injury or sickness of you or your close relative which would make continuance of the wedding inappropriate.

So wedding insurance seems pretty useless at this point! :( x
  • We have got Wedding Insurance with Wedding Plan I asked if it would cover and this was their response: 

Our policy would only provide cover if your venue is unable to hold your wedding due to the outbreak of infectious or contagious disease, the venue is closed by the relevant authority, or the death, injury or sickness of you or your close relative that would make continuance of the wedding inappropriate, subject to the policy terms and conditions.

Please find below the relevant elements of cover from the Cancellation or Rearrangement Section on page 6 and the definition of Close Relative from page 4 of the attached policy wording along with some FAQ’s which will hopefully answer some of your queries.

In the event that the government and or local authority declared a lock down on a particular area and banned any public gatherings then this would be covered as long as the policy was purchased prior to this announcement.  

If the FCO has advised against travel, an area has been put on lock down or all public events cancelled prior to booking the wedding or purchase of a policy, cover would not be provided

Part 1 | Cancellation

What you are covered for:

We will pay up to the amount stated in the Summary of Cover on page 2, for any irrecoverable expenses incurred by you in respect of ceremonial attire, flowers, photographs, caterers, transport, accommodation and the services from any other wedding services supplier booked but not used as a direct result of the unavoidable cancellation or curtailment of the wedding or wedding reception as a result of:

1) the booked venue for the wedding or wedding reception being unable to hold your wedding due to an outbreak of infectious or contagious disease, damage to the venue, murder or suicide at the premises or closure of the venue by the relevant authority

2) the death, injury or sickness of you or your close relative which would make continuance of the wedding inappropriate

So as far as I can see as long as we dont cancel it ourselves then we are still covered? 

We are using Ionian Wedding Planners and like I said they have been amazing!! xx
    MrsMc2B
  • Hi, 

Due to be getting married in Umbria (Central Italy) in June. 

Have insurance with John Lewis who have sent me an email essentially saying they won’t cover due to a clause in their policy regarding government policy 

·         “Our policy wording states that we would cover for cancellation rearrangement of a wedding/reception if the booked venue is unable to hold the wedding due to an outbreak of infectious or contagious disease.  However, our policy wording also states that you will not be covered for any claim arising directly or indirectly from government regulation or act. If your venuemakes an independent decision not to go ahead with the wedding due to an outbreak of infectious disease then we will be able to cover you for the cancellation/rearrangement of the wedding. However, if the decision to close the venue is related in any way to government regulation and/or acts relating to coronavirus, then you will not be covered under your policy.” 

I find it shocking they cannot cover - what is wedding insurance for?!  I’ve actually sent this to Money Saving Expert website as they are trying to produce some advice regarding weddings. 

Do you guys have many people travelling to your weddings? We have 31 on a variety of flights but predominantly EasyJet. 

Crossing my fingers that all our weddings go ahead... 
  • jess632jess632 Posts: 10 New bride
    edited 12 March
    That is shocking about John Lewis - you'd assume they are reputable and trustworthy and you'd think they would cover something like this. Going to have to read over our policies again now! :neutral: Fingers crossed for everyone.

Update: Our insurance is through Wedinsure, it looks like we are covered if the venue close or if we/ our close relatives get ill. However we're apparently not covered if the government ban gatherings but venue remains open?! So weird. They are only issuing new policies if your wedding is over 5 months away from purchase date.
    We are the same. We are covered by Debenhams and when I spoke to them if the government stop us flying to Italy we would not be covered but would be covered if the venue or caterers or other providers cancel because of the virus. 
    So I’ve had a discrete word with our wedding planner to say if that happens we need a letter stating that the venues and operators have cancelled on us so that we can at least get some money back and the vendors keep their deposits 
  • That is a good idea. 

@jess632 Wedinsure have the same wording in their policy about the government. :( but hopefully they will be more reasonable. when is your wedding? 

I’ve asked a couple of legal friends and they are going to ask around and get back to me. I do think that MoneySavingExpert website will cover about the wedding insurance. It seems extremely unfair.... 

• Hi Brad,

I'm due to get married in Portugal in June, and this is apparently when the UK will hit the peak time of the virus.
    At the moment I feel deflated and everything seems to be up in the air as to whether it will go ahead.

Our wedding planner has assured us that we can move our wedding to a later date if we are affected.
  • jess632jess632 Posts: 10 New bride
    @misszeta007 Our wedding reception is 4th April so coming up really soon. We are having a tiny registry office wedding on 28th March, with literally just 4 family members. Then our friend is going to conduct a humanist ceremony and big party on 4th April with around 100-120 people.

Worried we will end up getting legally married but not be able to have our party!

Do keep us updated if you find out anything from your friends! Good luck xx
  • henissihenissi Posts: 2
    Hi All,
    I am new to this forum and meant to be getting Married near Florence in May and wondering if anyone else is due to get married in Italy soon and if they wanted share knowledge of recent events?

Brad 
    Hi, I was also due to get married in Tuscany (in between Florence and Pisa) in May - the 29th. My FH and I have decided to postpone as it looks like the lockdown in Italy is going to be extended. I got my certificate of no impediment from the UK last week so now we have a 6 month deadline for the wedding to take place so we have postponed to the end of August because that's as far as we can realistically push it out before the paperwork expires.

Have you thought any more about postponing? I was just wondering if you are in a similar boat regarding paperwork since your wedding date is/was near to mine.
  • Hi, we are due to get married in Sorrento, Italy on 30th July. We are flying out 27th July. Really don’t know what to do. Our wedding planner is still asking for us to keep planning as we don’t know what is going to happen and when lockdowns will go on until and flight bans will be lifted etc. 
    We have got our Certificate of Non-Impediment and can only postpone to Mid August.
    We had got our Statutory Declarations signed too but we were informed last week the solicitor had filled in her section wrong ( in the appointment I kept saying “ no it needs to be filled out like...” but her response was “ I know what do to I’ve done lots of these, it will be fine”) we were supposed to see the solicitor on Saturday but now unable to do that... our wedding planner needs our documents by 30th April and worrying these won’t get done now... head is just all over the place.

I am not naive and know it’s not the end of the world if we postpone until next year... just feels liked added stress that isn’t needed on top of work worry and family worries. 

What are people doing with their July weddings? X
    MrsMc2B
  • ED12ED12 Posts: 3 New bride
    I’m with you. Would love to know what other couples are doing. We’re booked to get married 25th July in southern Tuscany. Our wedding planner was relaxed about it until yesterday - she now says everyone is postponing and our venue is running out of dates for this year - there is one date left in September but we need to confirm now as they can’t hold them for us. Such a shit situation and not sure what to do! A few of our guests have already booked flights so I’m not sure if they’ll be amendable. Will it all be over by July? Eek.