Reception budget

I hope people don't mind me asking this but...

What sort of budget are people looking at for a reception upon returning?

Our wedding abroad is going to be quite expensive so I'm not sure how much we should spend on the reception.

Thanks, Nat

• jmjejmje Posts: 832
    Hi Nat!

I know how you fell lol

We are looking at hiring a dj and a place

and doing our own catering...with help from mums!

ive found that hiring a civic hall with a bar is reasonable priced and all you have to do then is buy balloons ect to brighten it up!

• Do you know, I really hadn't thought about that at all until coming on these message boards & quite a few people seem to be having parties when they get back. And alot of people here in NZ have been asking, so when's the party going to be once you get back?? Hmm, I think I'm going to have to rethink - and considering our actual wedding is costing in excess of 25k at the moment, I really don't want it to be that expensive!
  • Hi

We were the same, spending more than we expected out in Paphos but still wanted a celebration for everyone who couldnt make it there. We've got 150 people coming to an evening reception the week after we're back.

We have hired a large room in our local working mens club(for free cos my H2B is a member), then a friend of a friend is doing the catering for £250, the dj is also a friend of a friend and is £100 and we're having a band which is H2B best friend's brother so they are playing for free (free bar for the band members).

So as Im getting such a bargain with everything else, Im going to really go to town on the decorations and glam the room up. Theme is black & white. Lots of fairy lights and some tall ostrich feather table centre's, couple of topiary tress either side of the entrance wrapped in fairy lights and then lots of balloons around the buffet tables.

Zoe

• Hi...

We have arranged a wedding reception/party for when we return....probably be around the £2000 mark, as we have quite a few guests.

Hired a local hall..£250

Brother in law doing the Disco so free.

Catering is being done by family and order a bit from Waitrose too (there entertaining is excellent)....around £800

Mum is doing all the flowers for tables..free

Hiring helium, and have brought foil helium balloons..£110

Hired in a bar..£150

Have a wedding cake..£350

Order Sparkling wine to give everyone a glass on arrival..£160

Then just all the little extras sweets for the tables, cake knife, cards and decs to display photos and make postbox for cards.

Luv Debs x

• Quoted:
    Hi

We were the same, spending more than we expected out in Paphos but still wanted a celebration for everyone who couldnt make it there. We've got 150 people coming to an evening reception the week after we're back.

We have hired a large room in our local working mens club(for free cos my H2B is a member), then a friend of a friend is doing the catering for £250, the dj is also a friend of a friend and is £100 and we're having a band which is H2B best friend's brother so they are playing for free (free bar for the band members).

So as Im getting such a bargain with everything else, Im going to really go to town on the decorations and glam the room up. Theme is black & white. Lots of fairy lights and some tall ostrich feather table centre's, couple of topiary tress either side of the entrance wrapped in fairy lights and then lots of balloons around the buffet tables.

Zoe

x

Oh yeah, forgot about the cake £80

Decorations (inc everything) £200
  • Hi all.

I got married on 18th August in Tuscany, Italy.

It was fabulous I wish I was doing it all again tomorrow!!!

We are having an 'after wedding party' in a couple of weeks for all our friends and family who couldnt make Italy. We've sent out 200 invites so I would guess about 150-160 will attend.

Like most of you we spent much more than our original budget in Italy so we need to keep the cost down for the party so....

We've hired the function room in a local sports and social club (50 pounds) a DJ (100) and we have a family friend who has a catering company so the buffet's been done at cost price (235). This is all you need really so it can be done on a shoestring budget.

However, I got a bit carried away AGAIN.....and we have also got a live band (we know a couple of the band members so half price 400 pounds) and a photographer attending too to take some snaps of the evening (150) oh and we are putting a little bit of cash behind the bar so the first drinks are on us but that is it...nothing else.....unless i see any good ideas on this website that I hadn't thought of...he he!!

Im also going to put some balloons and banners up and scatter some photo's (copies) of our wedding day on tables and put some on the walls and stuff so its a bit more weddingy.

Hope your doo's are all great. I think we have to tell ourselves that at the end of the day we have already had the big expensive day and this is just a party to celebrate, an excuse to wear your dress again and get really drunk, so sod the decorations...mines a double!!

Enjoy

Nickyx
  • jmjejmje Posts: 832
    i like your style nicky! lol

Jo x