Own reading for a Civil ceremony???

Hello Everyone,

I've had couple of weeks of from wedding planning as I'm busy with revsion for some Accountancy exams in few weeks (boohoo).

I've been dying to get back into my planning and speak to you all again, so I've given in today and I want to know if any of you are saying a few words of your own at a civil ceremony? (by the way if some of you don't already know we are getting married at the Capo Bay in Protaras next September).

I know you can't say anything sprittual or religious in a civil ceremony but wandered if we could personlise it a bit with a few vow type words?

Does anyone know if this is allowed, are are you planning to or have done this?

I've been having a look at some typical readings on the internet and some of them are really lovely.

Kelly:\?

• Hi Kelly,

I wasn't aware you weren't able to say anything religious or spiritual at a civil ceremony??

I am getting married in Cyprus ( hopefully Nissi Bay) in August 2009 and it will be in the hotel we choose so most probably a civil ceremony. I am Catholic but H2B is Protestant so we compromised on a catholic blessing when we come home.

I don't think I will say anything but I would like for a family member or close friend to maybe read a lovely poem or something. There is a lovely reading called Maybe that I am thinking of having.

I'll try to find it and post it.

Are you saying your own vows or the standard ones?

Leanne
  • Kelly - these are the readings. I read the first one at my aunities registry office wedding and the 2nd I saw on someone's post and thought it was lovely!

Maybe we are supposed to meet the wrong people before we meet the right one, so when they finally arrive we are truly grateful for the gift we have been given.

Maybe its true that we don't know what we have lost until we lose it, but it is also true that we don't know what we're missing until it arrives.

Maybe the happiest of people don't have the best of everything, but make the best of everything that comes their way.

Maybe the best kind of love is the kind where you sit on the sofa together, not saying a word, and walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you ever had.

Maybe once in a lifetime you find someone who not only touches your heart but also your soul, someone who loves you for who you are and not what you could be.

Maybe the art of true love is not about finding the perfect person, but about seeing an imperfect person perfectly.

And here is Love's Grammar Book

I love you.

That's it, really.

all there is to say.

sums it up.

in a nutshell.

the long and the short of it.

the be-all and the end-all.

I know what I mean;

you know what I mean.

more or less.

we know what I mean.

most of the time.

But though love's sometimes

best defined by silence

it may be good

to say a few good words

since you, and love, have taught me

love's grammar-book:

I love 'love'.

though love as noun is difficult to define.

I love love as an adjective:

love's.. just lovely, isn't it?

But most of all

I love love as verb.

and this I know:

this my love's active voice:

I love. (you) .

I loved you. How well I remember.

I have loved you. I'm so grateful for that.

I shall love you. That I promise.

and when all is done, I'll be proud to remember that

I shall have loved you;

and that

we shall have loved.

And in love's passive voice,

I'm so blessed that

I am loved;

rejoice in the hope that

I shall be loved

and promise that

you shall be loved.

I'll always be blessed that

I have been loved.

and that I can say

you shall have been loved (forever) .

All of which, I hope, leaves you

in that state curiously undefined

by grammar -

'fit to love' - to love

love's grammar-book

in full

for love conquers all, it's said,

even a hatred of grammar.

• Hello MrsLThomas2B,

Thanks for the readings they are lovely, I'm going to put them on my Definately Maybe pile!

I'll let you know when I have chosen one.

Thanks again,

Kelly

:\)