Getting married in the Dominican Republic

Hi

I'm flying out to the Iberostar Costa Dorada in just under eight weeks and am currently having a nightmare with First Choice and documentation!

Can I just warn anyone who is about to do the same - please don't use the template for a stautory declaration from the Dominican Embassy's website like we did. We assumed that because it was from the Dominican Embassy that it would be correct - wrong!

It doesn't have details on it about your religion, so although we had taken a 12 hour round trip to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London to get it legalised, we were told by First Choice that it couldn't be accepted!

We have had to pay our solicitors to stamp another decalration and have had another 12 hour round trip to London today to get them legalised again. In the end we have contacted the wedding co-ordinator at the hotel personally by email. He has told us more information in two emails than First Choice have in 18 months since the holiday was first booked.

If anyone needs any advice on anything please contact me, both myself and the H2B are almost experts on the subject!

Love Kim x

• Thanks Lyndsey, we will certainly investigate them - the mudslides sound heavenly!

Kim x
  • We're getting married in Dominican in April 07, have not given any thought to the documentation!

How much did it cost you to get it sorted? I have heard that you can create your own as long as it has the right info on it? I have no idea where to start!
  • Hi Clementine

Firstly we had to get our full birth certificated re-issued ( as we didn't have them) from our local Birth, Deaths and Marriages Office but it only cost us £7.50 each. We then typed up the statutory declaration from the Dominican Embassy website, not realising it wasn't correct so unfortunately we had to pay a solicitor twice to get it stamped!

If you send me an email address, I will send you a copy of what we used. Our solicitor accepted our typed up version rather than them having to prepare it. This meant that instead of costing us £145, they only charged us £5 each! Well worth asking your solicitor if you could do the same.

These two documents then need to be legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. We decided to take a day off work and use the public counter rather than relying on the postal service! They are open from 9.30am - 3.30pm. It costs £19 per document.

Now that we have that done, we must get them translated and legalised by the Dominican Embassy. I have had an email from First Choice to say they don't need legalising again, however the Embassy have also emailed me to say it is absolutely necessary to have them translated AND legalised. It costs £145.00 per document for legalisation and translation by the Dominican Embassy. You can get your own translator but we figured that as it's the Dominican Embassy doing it, it must be right!

If I can help you with anything else, please let me know.

Good luck!!

Kim x

• Thanks Kim, if you could email them that would be great, I am just trying to figure out how to get a link to appear via my personal profile...

Ah ha! You just click 'email' underneath this message!

[Modified by: Clementine on November 16, 2006 08:24 AM]
  • Hi there!

I know this is a while after you originally posted, but me and my partner are trying to get married in the dominican republic and need to get the single status documents signed by a solicitor, I have too typed up the one from the domincan embassy and don't want to get told it's not valid!

If you could tell me where you could your one from it would be so appreciated!!!xxx
  • Hi, please don't not worry...we fly out next week. I work at a Solicitors and one of them typed up the affidavit, did not use a template. We had the docs translated for a total of £82 and the Legalisation came to about £120 and the legalisation at the Dom Rep embassy came to £480. That's what we have done..i end up reading stuff on here and panciking but i trust who i work 4!x
  • hi, the more i read about the documentation, the more i get confused about it all and where to start with it all. me and my partner are both divorced and can see we need the decree absolute included in the documentation as well so more expense i expect. cant really believe the cost of the documents needed and eeryone has done it another way from each other. we need to do it the cheapest way possible, the same as anyone else i suppose and also need an idiots
  • hi, the more i read about the documentation, the more i get confused about it all and where to start with it all. me and my partner are both divorced and can see we need the decree absolute included in the documentation as well so more expense i expect. cant really believe the cost of the documents needed and eeryone has done it another way from each other. we need to do it the cheapest way possible, the same as anyone else i suppose and also need an idiots
  • hi, the more i read about the documentation, the more i get confused about it all and where to start with it all too. Me and my partner are both divorced and can see we need the decree absolute included in the documentation as well so more expense i expect. cant really believe the cost of the documents needed and everyone has done it another way from each other. we need to do it the cheapest way possible, the same as anyone else i suppose and also need an idiots guide in doing it...helpppppppp is really needed here on this. we intend marrying next september or early october.:\?:\?:\?

[Modified by: linniegirl on October 07, 2008 10:46 PM]

• kelly162bkelly162b Posts: 1,793
    linnie-got tothe dr embassy website,and look under marraiges-it shows u how to do it urself,u are right its expensive,and a headache,but it shows howmuch it all is.good luck.
  • Hi all, I'm getting married at the same hotel as Kim77 (not sure if she is still on here as original post is from 2006). We get married on 19th Feb 2009, all the paperwork needs to be stamped within 3 months of your wedding so we haven't got started on this yet - loads of people have told me its a nitemare tho so i'm not looking forwrd to it at all!
  • rachie85rachie85 Posts: 148
    oh god, this isnt some thing im lookin forward to doing, but wud prefer to get under way with it asap i think.

does anyone have a template of the affedavid or wot every its called?

x R x
  • Hello Ladies,

For document translations and legalisations I have heard of a company in Canada called WEDO (search google). Lots of couples in UK have used them and I am going to when time is right. I have 5 documents that need organising and it will only cost £425 for trans and legal not the fco legal. Thats more than half price cheaper than this country.

I found all this information out on Facebook as my hotel has its own group.

If anyone finds anymore information out, please share. Thanks
    have heard of them,but im sure you have to use a company in the uk.
  • Hi Kelly,

I e-mailed WEDO direct and asked them. They assured me that it's perfectly legal and that they have many customers from UK. I checked my e-mail again earlier and the price is cheaper than I thought. For the birth cert and afridavaits it cost $185 per person and $105 for my decree absolute. That works out a very cheap £250 approx. The best bit is you dont send orginal documents, but you do have to take them to the Dominican. Hope this helps!! Send them an e-mail.:\)

• If you send me an email address, I will send you a copy of what we used. Our solicitor accepted our typed up version rather than them having to prepare it.

hi my email address is [email protected]
    i already married there,was told we had to do the docs in england as we had booked the wedding through a tour operator in england,and they definately wanted originals,it might of changed now though,this was in june.
  • how was it kelly? i fly out to the iberostar costa dorada in 5 weeks!!!! i've just received all the docs back today so i hope to god they are all ok!!!!!!! x
    mine were corrected when i was there.it was there,but mine were wrong because of the tour operator's advice.which was wrong..this is why i say please look at the countries embassies website for the details!

mine were corrected becuse it was the tour operators fault,so please check!!!
  • hi there 

wondering if some one could help please . my partner and i intend to marry next sept in the dominican republic. the paperwork and stuff is slightly confusing me 

i know that first we need to get our passports and birth certificates arranged

ive also read about the statatory declariation but then im stuck i know it had to be leagalised then translated but thats about it 

please can anyone talk me through a step by step guide 

• Weaver81Weaver81 Posts: 63

Hi 

We are getting married in the dom rep in feb and have just started sorting our paperwork out. I'm in the process of sending our birth certificates to be legalised, then they have to be sent to be translated and for certification.  Then 3 months before your return date you have to get a statutory declaration for each of you and send them for legalisation, translation and for certification.  You travel agent you booked with should help you or look on the dominican embassy web page its all on there.

hope that helps

xx

• Hi there,

We will soon be getting married in the Dominican Republic (Punta Cana).

We have everything booked already and we are starting with all the paperwork.

We found it so confusing that we decided to call TLC UK. They are dealing with the translation and legalisation part (which otherwise would be a real pain for us).

Hope it helpsimage

• Nicola136Nicola136 Posts: 1

Hi i know this post is old but i'm getting married in october in the dominican and just starting to sort our paperwork out. Good thing is we have a family friend who is a solicitor so the starutory decs won't cost us anything to do. I need to know if the fee for translation on the embassy website includes ther certification. i've worked out for 2 statutory decs and 2 birth certificates legalised is £120 for the 4 plus £640 for then translated and certified. 

• jofixterjofixter Posts: 2 New bride
    Hi, 

If anyone could help. On what i need to do, point me in the right direction that would be great. 

Were planning on getting married in the Dominican Feb 2020.

Thank you in advance

Jo