Forum home Weight loss for your wedding

Quark.....

It's disgusting!

For anyone doing slimming world, as you know quark is free, what can you do with it to make it taste better?

I tried making a coleslaw with it instead of using mayo as I have an egg intollerance but it was awful.

Any suggestions? :\?

• ellybeeellybee Posts: 1,381
    I so agree with you - it's revolting! It reminds me of the aftertaste you get if you have to take Milk of Magnesia for dodgy tummy!

My sil2b does slimming world and is a huge fan of the stuff. She's done various dips etc some of which are slightly less grim than others. Nothing that is nice enough to actually recommend though I'm afraid!

Could you try "cutting" the Quark half and half with low fat mayo? Might make it a bit more bearable and the overall effect would be to reduce the fat/calory contents.

Good luck!
  • ellybeeellybee Posts: 1,381
    Oh I just remembered one thing - she sometimes mixes the contents of an Options hot choc drink with a bit of Quark to make something that resembles chocolate mousse. Maybe worth a shot?
  • DeborahtDeboraht Posts: 2,882
    I use it more for savory than sweet. I think some of the pasta dishes are best when you can use things like garlic and herbs etc for taste. The SW cannelloni is made with Quark and is very nice. on its own its not the tastiest thing in the world though!
  • PippakiPippaki Posts: 113
    I love Quark. I am from Germany and we put in Onion, a little bit of milk and salt. And we eat it with Pellkartoffeln, which are boiled potatoes (in their skin) and the skin is peeled of before eating. Lovely, I am getting hungry now image
  • perhaps I will ask my consultant for some ideas!

thanks for all of yours x
  • blossom25blossom25 Posts: 3,070
    what on earth is Quark? I was looking up recipes in my Ma's ww book and it came up. Presumeably it's a form of quorn?
  • LilycatukLilycatuk Posts: 467
    no, it's a bit like creme fraiche.

That sort of thing, can be eaten either with sweet stuff or savoury but really low in fat and therefore mentioned in lots of slimming recipes from slimming world or weight watchers.
  • blossom25blossom25 Posts: 3,070
    It does sound slightly minging! lol! But then I don't like creme fraiche either. x
  • PippakiPippaki Posts: 113
    Hi *Jules*

Quark is some sort of Curd cheese. Most people don't like it, but I love it. Always had it as a kid.;\)
  • You can make chicken kiev with it (its edible) and you can also make a cheese cake - both slimming world receipes, Anyone want these receipes email me and ill send you them - [email protected]

• mildred81mildred81 Posts: 784
    It's lovely if you mash potatoes with it instead of butter and milk it makes mash really creamy.
  • I will try it in mash as I love the stuff!

• The only thing I use it for is slimming world spaghetti carbonara and that is sooooo yummy! And very low in fat. Mix together quark, egg yolk, black pepper and some low fat grated cheddar and stir into drained pasta -cook for about 5 mins. Then fry mushrooms, bacon and garlic and add to pasta - totally scrummy and perfect if you are followng the slimming world diet!image
  • Toffee Apple Cheescake!!! Yes its made with Quark!!! Ive made it without the toffee apple and it was ok but this version is fab!! The reciepe serves 12 people and each serving is on 5 syns on green or original!!