Calling all spinners

I read a few topics on here about spinning and decided to give it go, as I really want to lose weight and get fit. That was 5 weeks ago and I've been going with my H2B 3-5 times a week. The class is about 50 mins long and I feel like Im dying each time. But I have seen an improvement in my fitness. The trouble is I've lost about 2lbs and that's it. I eat very healthily and haven't had a drink in weeks. I read that you don't lose weight when you exercise but you gain muscle. The trouble is my clothes don't feel any better on me either. So I feel like I'm working my bum off for nothing. Is anyone in the same boat? Or have you got any advice? Thanksimage

• MrsM_09MrsM_09 Posts: 761
    oh dear, that's not good. Maybe you should stick at it a bit longer - 50mins of cardio 3-5 times a week is going to make a fantastic difference to your cardio health if nothing else. I do spinning, but only do once or twice a week and mix it with other gym activities and resistance work - i often go and do my weights exercises after a spinning class.

im no expert but i hear weights are good for your metabolism and I believe that mixing up your exercise routines is a good thing too - so maybe try other classes too? what about body pump as that's got weights?
  • sdasilvauksdasilvauk Posts: 3,050
    Hello! I remember you from those threads! So glad you're enjoying it! I think the problem is you're not mixing your exercising up.

Can I ask if your gym does Body pump at all? Introducing this class once a week will tone you up wonderfully, and the more muscle you have the more calories you burn during your day, so you eat the same but burn more calories. Teaming this sort of resistance class with your cardio classes should help.

I think youalso need a class where you move your upper body about a bit- like boxercise or a normal aerobics class. Get the whole body shaking around!!!

x

• cp781cp781 Posts: 166
    Hi thanks for your replies. My gym isn't great for classes, I think they're catered more for men. There is a body pump style class were you have to use a dumb bar. I will give that a go! Unfortunately there's no aerobic classes which is a shame!

I defo need to work out my arms and upper body- whats the point of having just toned legs when they're under a wedding dress LOL! Thanks again x
    def do the weight one, you'll enjoy it and it needn't be crazy heavy.

good luck!

Hi I did the weight class yesterday and god do I hurt today!! I really enjoyed it and I'm planning my next class. I'm going to try doing spinning and the weight class.

Trouble is since doing spinning I lost 4 lbs and then I weighed myself today and I've put on 2lbs!! I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Hopefully it's muscle!
    no please stop weighing...it will def be muscle weight!! why not measure your inches instead, thats a far better measure when you take up gym going!

x

ps- glad you ejoyed the weights!
    I measured myself and not lost anything!! I'm really gutted. I eat healthily, work my arse off at the gym about 4 times a week and nothing happens!!
    ok...i reccommend the plank. You can do it at home, a few minutes each night and i BET in 2 weeks you will have a flatter stomach and tighter upper arms. Let me know if you want me to talk you throgh it and some variations to make it harder!

boodles - i do the plank - I'd like to hear how to vary it please!
    ooh hello!

sure thing.

right in plank position take one foot off the floor- start with right, count 4 counts and put it down, lift your left leg, 4 counts (repeat this 4 times on each leg. Stretch it out

then... get back into plank and ready for the killer. back in plank you lift your right leg off the ground and draw it into you so you almost look like a runner about to take off (does that make sense) then stretch it back (dont place on floor!) then stretch it out to the side (not too far). repeat with your left leg. Do 4 times each side if you can!!!

with time it gets easier (i still hate it though).

Then move to side plank

which is sooo hard to describe in writing but this lady shows it well on you tube (only put your spare arm up if you can!!)

good luck, it hurts like hell (as you know) but it is nice to add some more difficulty to a normal plank.

• bluebilbybluebilby Posts: 198
    I have only just started spinning but I hve been running for a couple of years now. The thing I have found so far with spinning is that it's bloody hard, but in the sense of really working all your muscles, so it must be fab for toning. However for cardiovascular I feel that running wins hands down. And running at conversational pace puts you in the perfect zone for weightloss (faster pace than that would be better for stamina and toning). So running might be worth a try if you haven't already? I remember someone on here once saying look at the olympics athletes - who are the leanest? The long distance runners!

But I'm also sure others are right that you must be building muscle and toning up if you're not losing weight!

Good luck x
    I HATE running. I'd rather spin for hours than run! I'm going to do the plank though! I did the weights class and my right arm killed for 3 days!!it must be good. Im going tomorrow again.
    cheers for the plank lesson boodles, I'll give it a go this weekend!
    how is it going ladies?? P.H2B, you still spinning and pumping that iron??image
  • Hi girls - I'm also a fellow spinner!! I go spinning 4 times a week for 45 minutes and then once a week i do 30 mins of cardio and 30 minutes of weights. I have lost 2 stone so far (nearly a size 8 now!!!) in 4 months and I found that this was definitely down to spinning but also down to my diet. I've totally cut out carbs in the evening but still have them at brekkie and lunch and the weight has fallen off. My friend at work did it for her wedding so that's who inspired me.

Keep up the spinning hun - it definitely does work!!! xx
  • SophieHukSophieHuk Posts: 954
    Hi All,

I'm doing WW points plans and a couple of classes at the Gym on a tuesday and Thursday, but also considering Spinning, I've done it once and thought I was going to die, I think I'm going to give it a go, especially after reading iloveshoes is almost a size 8, WOW!

Oh to be a size 8 again.......

Ok I'm sold on the idea, I'll see how it goes!

xxx
  • Trust me - I can't believe it either!!! I've just got to try and keep it off now...!!! xx
  • SophieHukSophieHuk Posts: 954
    Well done you it's ace, and I'm sold definitely!!!

I got upto a size 14 ok not massive but I was always an 8-10 so it was a shock, as soon as I had to buy 14 trousers I joined WW!!

I'm back to a 12, my aim is a 10 by Christmas and by the sound of it with spinning I could get that done easily!!

• beans1987beans1987 Posts: 322
    I sympathise. I used to do a lot of spin and not really lose my any weight. Now I did spin occaisionaly and get most of my exercise by running. My H2B is an ex-personal trainer and since he told me other than cross country skiing, nothing burns more calories than running, I've been hooked.

I started slowly, doing about 3k three times a week, then working up to 5k - 7k once a week with a couple of shorter runs, and about once a month a 10K race. It's great exercise and as well as burning lots of fat, you can definitely feel your muscles getting toned, legs obviously, but also your stomach too. To work on my arms and chest I've started doing some resistance band exercises, which tone but tend not to leave you as sore as when you train with weights.

Oh the endorphin high from running is one of the best!

Good luck!
    Hi I've cut my spinning down to twice a week and been doing pump twice a week, planning on starting a boxing type class. I've got an ear infection at the mo so havent been the gym since Monday. I feel bad for not going tho. I've now put all the weight back on (muscle I hope) but i've lost inches on my waist and hips (not thighs) so Im just going to keep going.

Iloveshoes- what's your diet like? You've done really well. Wish it works for me like that!
  • Have just been to my first spinning class in about 5 years - it was great although it was just spin for beginners so it was only 30 mins long. Gonna do it again for the next couple of weeks before I attempt the 45 min class and will also try to get a bit of running in - hopefully I'll see some sort of results with time!