Am I going to lose weight?

Hi everyone. Think I need some reassurance that I am actually going to lose weight! In an ideal world, I would like to lose 4 stone by August.

I'm currently swimming for half an hour before work twice a week and i'm going to start going to the gym 2/3 nights a week after work.

My main concern is i'm not following any set diet, I am eating healthily - porridge for breakfast, soup for lunch and a 'healthy' dinner. Do you think i should try a specific diet? I just really love food!!!

Any advice would be really appreciated x

• PenukPenuk Posts: 1,121
    I think it all depends on how determind you are. Your exercise regime sounds great but if you are like me in the last couple of months you will probably try and up this.

If you are not going to cheat and can stick at it then I would say continue as you are. If you are not 100% sure of your will power I would try and follow a set diet plan or join some sort of group. Whatever you do try and make sure you have enough healthy food in the house for those times when you are really hungry and want something to eat fast. Goodluck and you are welcome to join our group on this site. The girls are very motivating.
  • MrsKP_MrsKP_ Posts: 2,035
    I think that the way you're doing it is better than following a set diet! It sounds like you've definitely got the right idea!

It's all about educating yourself about what you can and can't eat, in my opinion there's no point in doing these faddy diets for x amount of weeks, because you're not restructuring your eating habits at all, and generally speaking most people just go back to the eating habits which caused them to gain weight in the first place.

Best of luck with your weight loss. And just for the record, I lost four stone doing the same thing as you!

• Thanks Penel!

Oh, i'm determined.. refusing to try on any dress until i've lost at least 2 sizes... that may be interesting come the end of July if I haven't managed it.

• Yay Katteh!!

It can be done... that's all I needed to hear! I'm really hoping that i'm going to notice a difference by Christmas - if i do, hopefully that will give me the motivation i need over the "festive" (read 'over indulgence') period x
  • tt25777tt25777 Posts: 2,239
    If you are determined it can be done. I have managed to lose 3 stone for my wedding next month. Eating healthily is the key, but do allow yourself the odd treat. If you fall off the wagon (Ihave on many occasions), you just need to forget about that day and start again.

Good luck x
  • Thanks tt25777. I think it's the odd treat that's going to keep me going!!

Congratulations on losing 3 stone - that's fantastic!
  • nikkikbuknikkikbuk Posts: 438
    I have lost 4 stone in the amount of time you have so it can definitely be done. However I would follow a set plan as it is too easy to give yourself bigger portions than you should or not realise how many calories are in drinks and sauces etc. I did weight watchers for part of the weight loss then a calorie counting diet on the internet but ww would have worked for the whole thing I just struggled to get to meetings. I really think if you aren't writing down what you eat and making sure you are getting the right amount of cals it is going to be much harder. You can still eat really well it is not like living on lettuce leaves!

Nikki