Swimming anyone??

Hi girls

I'm getting married in December and have been loosing weight gradually since Jan. My start weight was 12st 12lb and I'm now 11st 11lb. YAY! :\)

I've mostly achieved this by eating more healthily, but I'm rubbish at exercising (i.e. I hate it!). The only type of exercise I don't mind doing is swimming, but after having lurked on this forum for a while I can't say that I ever hear swimming being mentioned much.

Just wanted to know if any of you swim for weight loss and if so is it working out for you?

Dolly x

• Dolly,

I did quite a lot of swimming, I did a sponsored swim for Marie Curie where I swam 5k! Even although I did a lot of training for that, I didn't find that it helped me to lose weight. Although I did find that it helped to tone me up all over. One of the main things is how you swim, you have to swim at a level where you are getting out of breath and the front crawl is best for this. Have you tried powerplates? I have found these excellent and you only have to go on them for 20 minutes at a time. If you could find a gym or pool which has these you could go on the plate first and then for a swim. Good luck, whatever you decide.
  • JayneSukJayneSuk Posts: 570
    Hi Dolly.

I swim for half an hour every weekday morning before school. It's something I like doing, although boredom does set in after a while! It gets me set up for the day and is definately helping me with my weightloss and body toning.

Like you, I started in May at 12st 12lbs. I weighed myself this morning and I weigh 9st 13 and 3 quarter pounds! I normally round a weight like that up but I like seeing the 9 at the beginning!

Good luck with the rest of your weight loss!

• Hi Dolly,

I love to swim and used to swim competitively when I was younger. It's fab for a whole body and cardio workout. Front crawl will really tone your arms and shoulders. I sometimes use a float at the pool and just alternate between different kinds of kicks (frontcrawl kick/breastroke kick) it really works your thighs and bum. I've recently been annoyed at my pool as it was so busy the water was really choppy and I felt like I was an extra in 'A perfect storm'!!!