Forum home Weight loss for your wedding

Swimming anyone??

Hi girls

I'm getting married in December and have been loosing weight gradually since Jan. My start weight was 12st 12lb and I'm now 11st 11lb. YAY! :\)

I've mostly achieved this by eating more healthily, but I'm rubbish at exercising (i.e. I hate it!). The only type of exercise I don't mind doing is swimming, but after having lurked on this forum for a while I can't say that I ever hear swimming being mentioned much.

Just wanted to know if any of you swim for weight loss and if so is it working out for you?

Dolly x

• Dolly,

I did quite a lot of swimming, I did a sponsored swim for Marie Curie where I swam 5k! Even although I did a lot of training for that, I didn't find that it helped me to lose weight. Although I did find that it helped to tone me up all over. One of the main things is how you swim, you have to swim at a level where you are getting out of breath and the front crawl is best for this. Have you tried powerplates? I have found these excellent and you only have to go on them for 20 minutes at a time. If you could find a gym or pool which has these you could go on the plate first and then for a swim. Good luck, whatever you decide.
  • JayneSukJayneSuk Posts: 570
    Hi Dolly.

I swim for half an hour every weekday morning before school. It's something I like doing, although boredom does set in after a while! It gets me set up for the day and is definately helping me with my weightloss and body toning.

Like you, I started in May at 12st 12lbs. I weighed myself this morning and I weigh 9st 13 and 3 quarter pounds! I normally round a weight like that up but I like seeing the 9 at the beginning!

Good luck with the rest of your weight loss!

• Hi Dolly,

I love to swim and used to swim competitively when I was younger. It's fab for a whole body and cardio workout. Front crawl will really tone your arms and shoulders. I sometimes use a float at the pool and just alternate between different kinds of kicks (frontcrawl kick/breastroke kick) it really works your thighs and bum. I've recently been annoyed at my pool as it was so busy the water was really choppy and I felt like I was an extra in 'A perfect storm'!!!