My cabbage soup diary

Well I have decided to give it a go. I have got myself in a bit of a mess with my eating and so I have decided enough is enough. I have a wedding to go to next weekend so I will be doing the cabbage soup diet to try and lose some weight before then. This will only be for 7 days but I am hoping it will give me the motivation I need to start eating more healthily so I can loose long term weight for my own wedding. I thought I would keep a diary for others to see the benefits (and the not so nice things) of the diet. It will hopefully help me stay motivated.

Day 1

Well the soup was easy enough to make. I just chopped up lots of veg, chucked it in a pan and let it boil for a while. Whilst waiting for it to cook I ate some fruit and drank some water. I am allowed as much fruit and soup as I like today (no bananas though).

Well the soup didn't taste half as bad as I was expecting. In fact it was very nice - just needed a fair bit of salt which should be avoided on this diet. At the moment I feel this will be perfectly doable, the only problem will be the monotany of the soup every day.

Just been for an hour's walk, which I don't normally have the time to do.

Has anyone else had any experiences with this diet? x

• Mr Lee's GalMr Lee's Gal Posts: 283
    I've not had any experiences of a "soup" diet as such, but I have started making no fat soup for lunch. The only thing I've done wherever possible is to oven roast the veg I can. For example I made one the other day and roasted tomatoes, peppers, onion, garlic, chilli....anything to add some flavour without any fat.

Good luck!!
  • welshgracewelshgrace Posts: 1,224
    Ooooh that sounds lovely MrsLeetobe and a much more practical approach!!

So far though I have been very good. I have got a bit of a headache but I am prone to those anyway. It is probably too soon for it to be the effects of what I have been eating. Not looking forward to tomorrow so much though - all veg all day! Although I do really like beetroot and cherry tomatoes so I hope it will be ok x
  • Mr Lee's GalMr Lee's Gal Posts: 283
    I'm finding a liking for cherry tomatoes too, but love beetroot! Also I make sure I drink tons of water during the day. I used to be prone to headaches daily, but since drinking 1.5 litres of water everyday I don't have hardly any image
  • Don't go on a diet. Just start eating healthy. 6-7 meals a day, white meat (lot of proteins), smaller amount of fats and carbs. Avoid coloured beverages, eat lots of vegetables and you'll be fine. Look at this recipe for chicken soup, super easy to do, a lot of chicken and vegetables.

Avoid the so called "diets"... First you go on a diet, loose some weight, then you go back to your old eating habist and you gain your weight back, but times 2.

Anyways - good luck!
    Thanks jshgardiner, but as I said this is a 7 day thing to help me kickstart my better eating, so I will continue.
    Day 2

Today has been much better than I thought it would be. I have been quite busy though which has kept me from thinking fooooooood. The veg has been good but I am very much looking forward to my baked potato in a minute with a smidging of butter (and lots of soup!)

Not really had a headache (again that's just me though) and all is well in the bathroom department apart from constantly weeing lol
    Day 3

Today was really good. I felt great all day, no headaches and lots of energy (must have been the potato I ate last night). Starting to get a bit fed up of the soup now though but I did have 3 bowls today. Other than that I have had lots of fruit and other veg. Went to the cinema which was hard but good in a way because before i would have just pigged out on ice cream, wheras today I just took my water. Bring on tomorrow x
    Day 4

So far so good! Today I have to eat bananas, skimmed milk and soup. I still feel really good, but am just working from home this week so I don't know how my energy will be when I get back to school! I weighed myself last night on the wii fit and have so far lost 5lbs!!! I'm very pleased, but will wait till the end to redo all my measurements to see if I've actually got any smaller.

I do see a problem though in that my mum has invited us over tonight. So I will either have to eat before I go out (in which case she will be offended) OR I will have to come clean (I really don't want to, my mum and my sis are really skinny and won't understand) OR I cheat (which I don't want to either as I have done so well to stick to it, I really didn't think I would). Hmmmmm image
  • flossycat100flossycat100 Posts: 6,527 New bride
    Are you eating enough calories? You should be eating a minimum 1200 a day or you will be damaging your metabolism. I'dd add it all up and make sure you are OK if I were you...
  • AnnaEJonesAnnaEJones Posts: 44
    I did day 1-5 of this diet and then had to go out on Saturday - i found it hard but not overly so - it is a calorie deficit diet so you are only eating around 750-1000 calories max per day and the weight loss is mainly water but it does work and it also has made me eat less and want more vegs - doing my own version this week as I missed the protein - I only have 9 days till I fly out to Italy so its a last ditch attempt!!
    Well I lost 7lbs in total, and that was with cheating on Saturday night. I completely understand the protein thing Anna - that was the harderst thing for me, I could never be a veggie.

But it has done exactly what I wanted it to do - it has given me a boost and kicked started me back in to healthy eating. I no longer have the desire to go and buy a massive bar of galaxy or a box of biscuits to demolish. Thanks for the concern flossycat, not sure how many calories I was having but I have signed up to my fitness pal now so I can check what I am eating and burning off through exercise - a much better way to do it long term image
  • JoeyClareJoeyClare Posts: 2,737
    Well done on losing the weight. I love my Fitness Pal. It's what I'm using at the moment.

I think you have been sensible by using the Soup diet as a 'starter diet'. I don't think it would easily be maintained for long periods of time, but it has given the results to motivate you. There is nothing worse than trying hard on your diet and seeing little or no results.

Good luck with the rest of your weight loss. xx