Lose 14ibs in a week?

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this diet (see below), apparently it is a recommended by the British Heart Foundation and given by doctors to patients who need to lose weight before an op.

The diet:

Day 1 Breakfast 1 slice dry toast and grilled tomatoes

Lunch Fresh fruit (any amount)

Dinner 2 hard boiled eggs, salad, grapefruit

Day 2 Breakfast Grapefruit, 1 boiled egg

Lunch Roast chicken (any amount) & tomatoes

Dinner Grilled steak and salad

Day 3 Breakfast Grapefruit, 1 boiled egg

Lunch 2 boiled eggs and tomatoes

Dinner 2 Grilled lamb chops, celery & cucumber

Day 4 Breakfast 2 slices dry toast, 2 poached eggs

Lunch fresh fruit (any amount)

Dinner 2 hard boiled eggs, salad, grapefruit

Day 5 Breakfast 1 slice dry toast, 2 poached eggs

Lunch 2 poached eggs & tomatoes

Dinner Fresh or tinned fish and salad

Day 6 Breakfast 1 boiled egg, 1 glass grapefruit juice

Lunch Fresh fruit (any amount)

Dinner Roast chicken, cabbage, carrots

Day 7 Breakfast 2 scrambled eggs, grilled tomatoes

Lunch 2 Poached eggs& spinach

Dinner Grilled steak & salad

NOTE

Abstain from anything not mentioned.

Eat only what is shown or do without.

No substitutions allowed.

No eating between meals

No alcohol

No butter milk or fat

Drinks = black tea, black coffee, lemon tea, grapefruit juice, tonic, soda or water only

Salad = lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes and celery only

I've not tried it yet but just thought I'd share it and see if anyone else had tried it?

Here is the website where I found it. http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/woman-504/sport-diet-fitness-613/184688-lose-14lbs-week.html Once I've started it, I'll let you know how I get on

image Tasha

• BigBird78ukBigBird78uk Posts: 547
    My personal view is that any diet that promises to cut your weight by a stone in a week is either bull$h1t or incredibly unhealthy. Not to mention extremely temporary.

However, as I have never been on a diet a single day in my life, what do I know?

Lots of luck and let us know how you get on image
  • Hi ya, here is what I know about it.

It isnt recomemended by the british heart foundation, it was just said to have been but this is untrue and misleading for people as it sounds like its a nhs approved diet. However it does make you drop a lot of weight quickly, but this is mostly just water stored in your cells and liver in the form of glycogen and that can be as much as 10lbs + in the body, once the week is up and you start eating again your cells will refill with glycogen and water resulting in the weight going back on. Next to no fat loss I am afraid. Hope this helps.xx
  • TashaTasha Posts: 30
    Hi Bigbird 78UK

That's what I thought hence me sharing it first and getting other opinions.

I know what works for me but just can't seem to get the motivation at the moment image
    If you look at the BHF website healthy eating page, it recommends (amongst other things) plenty of carbs which the above is not. It also warns against following a falsely advertised 'British Heart Foundatin diet'

I didnt look at the website to stick the knife in. I did it as I may need I drop a few pounds to fit in my dress (about 6)

The above is just a version of the Atkins diet and IMO you're likely to put the weight straight back on in days 8-15.

A sure fire way to lose weight?

Eat less food and run around more.
    Quoted:
    Hi Bigbird 78UK

That's what I thought hence me sharing it first and getting other opinions.

I know what works for me but just can't seem to get the motivation at the moment

What's your downfall? Carbs? Can't be arsed to exercise?

Edited to say... When I say 'can't be arsed to exercise' I don't mean I think you're lazy. I mean, I know that not everyone enjoys exercise!! image

I'm lacking confidence in myself at the moment and also the will power. I was fine a year ago and lost the stone I needed to but have since put on a stone and a half.

I have a major sweet tooth but I think I'll just stick to what I enjoy doing (gym and running) and eating what I know works for me.

Think I'm just feeling down about myself but thanks for replying and bringing me to my senses about quick fad diets.
    My mum put on a lot of weight a while ago due to some drugs she was on. She was VERY self conscious about it and as soon as she came off the drugs she wanted to lose the weight. In the past she had controlled her weight very strictly by a number of ways, she just had a major blip which put her up to a size 16 (from a 10)

She lost 16lbs in 3 weeks ( albeit it some of this was excess weight from the drugs) and is continuing to lose a healthy 1-2 lbs a week.

She absolutely swears by this ( and she has done slimming world/weight watchers etc)

http://www.rosemaryconley.com/shop/books/gi-hip-and-thigh-diet.htm

You have a big bonus if you don't mind exercising.

You can do anything you set your mind to, just remember the 'too good to be true' diets are just that image

Good luck!! x
  • tripqueentripqueen Posts: 222
    Sounds pretty unhealthy to me to loose that much weight so quickly, I'd be worried about the long term effects.....Would be very surprised if the BHF recommended that diet!
  • Someone I used to work with did that diet and she did shed loads of weight but she was always moaning about what she had to eat. If you need a quick fix it might be ok but you are probably better with a more traditional diet if you have a while to lose it. Good luck. x
  • NicH2B12NicH2B12 Posts: 164
    My dad done this diet a couple of weeks ago and lost 12lbs in one week. He found it really hard and done it for two weeks but only lost 2lb the second week.

I dont think i could do this diet...i like my food too much!!

I'm just following around 1400-1500 calories a day on MFP and working out 6 days a week.

12 weeks to go til the wedding so hope this keeps working.

Nic x
  • pr1nc3ss2pr1nc3ss2 Posts: 38
    I have done this diet several times. I does work as a quick fix, never lost the full stone usually 11-12lbs

Give it a go!
  • pr1nc3ss2pr1nc3ss2 Posts: 38
    Quoted:
    My personal view is that any diet that promises to cut your weight by a stone in a week is either bull$h1t or incredibly unhealthy. Not to mention extremely temporary.

However, as I have never been on a diet a single day in my life, what do I know?

Lots of luck and let us know how you get on

Why are you on the weight loss forum then??? imageimage xx
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Lots of luck and let us know how you get on

Why are you on the weight loss forum then??? xx

Because, exactly just like now, I happened to be browsing on the site, saw the post pop up in the 'latest posts' box on the right hand side and decided to answer a question asking for opinions; I am of the belief that you don't necessarily have to have been there/done that in order to comment on something.
    Thanks everyone for your responses - I'll give just a healthy eating plan a go.
  • andiebentandiebent Posts: 62
    Crash dieting like this may let you lose 14 lbs in a week, yes, but you may well pass out from lack of nutrition. You will also feel irritable, sick and depressed after a few days of restriction. Also, as soon as you eat normally again, you will pile the weight back on in about 2 days, and will probably gain about 7 lbs more than you weighed originally. Perhaps on your honeymoon, or alternatively just in time for your wedding. Also, it will slow down your metabolism so you continue to gain weight on what you normally eat.

The only way to lose weight is to eat about 1200 kcals a day and to permanently change your lifestyle so that when you stop dieting you just eat about 1500 kcals to maintain your weight at a level you're happy with. Please believe me, I speak from experience...it really isn't worth it.

There aren't any tricks or shortcuts to losing weight.
  • kathryncr27kathryncr27 Posts: 297
    I did this diet...for 2 days. It was miserable! I did it with both my parents - we all felt "not quite right" and kept having to go for a wee every couple of hours! I think it's just fluid you lose, and that can't be good. It's not endorsed by the BHF at all. My cousin does it every few months as you do lose weight (I lost 2lb in those 2 days) but it's not healthy and I wouldn't recommend it.

I agree with the Rosemary Conley comment - my Mum joined one of her classes and followed the diet - March last year she was a size 18-20 and now she walks round in her size 8 jeans image
  • Roast0938Roast0938 Posts: 104
    I think people go on that diet a couple of weeks before heart surgery if they are bigger to get dramatic loss before the surgery, hence where it gets it's name to do with the heart foundation. I have seen it done by on old friend of mine and he lost a lot, but it's very tough and like has been said, it all goes back on with more!!! Maybe if u were desperate 2 weeks before might wanna do it but I'm sure u will be fine!!!

Good luck

Xx
  • Avo81Avo81 Posts: 55
    I agree with those who say 'too good to be true' - you may well lose the weight promised, but you definately would put it all back on a few weeks after stopping. Not to mention the damage it may do to the condition of your hair, skin and nails, as a totally fat- free and restricted nutrient diet would impact on these areas, which isn't really what a gal wants coming up to her wedding! Xx