Excercise - Hot Yoga

Has anyone tried hot yoga and it is any good.  I have booked into a class tomorrow night and I am such a novice.

What do i need to bring and what do you wear?

xxx

• SadSack83SadSack83 Posts: 1,700

I have done it in London. 

I'd wear as little as possible - some of the men in my studio do it in their pants! I would suggest shorts and a vest top.

Drink lots of water throughout the day. Then only take sips when you're there - but still take a big bottle of water. Take a towel for the class and then a separate one for using in the shower as it will get really sweaty. Take a plastic bag to put all your sweaty clothes in. 

It might also be worth asking which area is the hottest in the studio and then moving away from there for your first session. Believe me you'll be warm enough.

Don't forget a padlock or 20p for locker depending on set up. 

Try and stay focused throughout the standing section. If you can make that part the lying section is easier. 

Take it easy, take it slowly and if you feel giddy sit down! No prizes for fainting!

Good luck and have fun. 

• Thank you xx I am excited but nervous as I am not very fit or flexible image

Don't be nervous. Make sure the instructor knows it's your first time and they will look out for you. The heat really does make it easier to be flexible but you will in awe of some people because they literally move in ways that seem unnatural! 

Most of all have fun! 

• Haha the things i will do for my wedding / honeymoon body!! xx

• MrsPar13MrsPar13 Posts: 821

How effective is it with weight lose in comparision to normal yoga? 

The calorie burn is more. And it's great for toning. The temperature forces you to work harder and you get out of breath in a way you don't in normal class. It is good for weight loss too combined with other exercises and healthy diet. 

Normal yoga actually doesn't burn very many calories in comparison to other exercise. You'd be better off doing high intensity interval training or traditional CV exercises like running combined with weights. 

However, the key to exercise is finding and doing something you enjoy and sticking to it there are benefits to all exercise types you just need to be clear of your goals and seek advice on how best to attain them. 

• mrslane2bmrslane2b Posts: 1,205
    Where did u do it in London sad sack?? I'd like to try it as my gym is shut for 6 weeks while the us Olympic team train there!!

Hello mrslane2b

I go to one just off old street

http://www.bikramyoga.co.uk/index.html

They have three studios (North, West and City) and a fabulous offer of 30 days for £35 and you can go as many times as you want in that period (although not to every single class as some are peak times). As each class is usually about £15 it's a brilliant deal.

There is also one near Canary Wharf http://www.bikramyogalondon.com/

One in Victoria and one in Soho http://www.sohotbikramyoga.co.uk/

Balham, London Bridge and Fulham http://hotbikramyoga.co.uk/

That's annoying about your gym. Hope they are reimbursing you! 

• Ok so gave it a shot and not too sure if it for me.  I am not very flexible and couldnt even touch my toes and for most the poses my legs / feet keep sliding due to the sweat.  I dont feel like I have excercised but I dont k ow if thats due to me not being very flexible or possibly not doing the poses correctly.

Dont get me wrong I can see why people love it if they cna do it right but maybe the treadmill is the life for me LOL xxx

That's the issue I have with yoga too!

I like exercise where you feel sick, struggle to breathe and have aching muscles! I like to feel like I've worked really hard!

You will get used to the poses (and the slipping!) though so maybe worth giving it a second go but exercise all about finding something you enjoy that pushes you and staying with it so having given it a fair go if it's not for you head to treadmill - or preferably outdoors as it burns far more calories and you get other benefits too! 

• I bought a block of 5 so I will give it a few more shots image x

• Well yoga has many health, benefits.Its make our body stretchable.Its such stress relief process and beneficial in weight-loss.Yoga is beneficial in quitting smoking and its also excellent for asthma patient. Yoga is excellent for enhancing energy and its boost, the immunity.I like to do yoga daily.

gyms San Carlos

• gildiusgildius Posts: 113

I've been wondering about this - sounds interesting. I did yoga at uni and it was hard, but this sounds like another level. Maybe I'll give it a go!

• mubeemubee Posts: 1,039

I tried it a few months before getting pregnant, and I loved it, and never did yoga before that. I also recommend eating a bit before and drinking all day before the class, then sipping water in the class. To stop slipping, I would suggest not to use normal towel, but to maybe invest in a yoga towel which is non-slip and the length of the yoga mat.  I found that it tired me out in another way to normal gym workout, but it is good to do a mixture of things. Now that I am 19 weeks pregnant, I cannot wait to be able to do normal yoga, as pregnancy yoga is nothing compared to hot yoga!

• Yes i have personally practiced hot yoga and it is very beneficial.

Hot yoga is similar to traditional yoga but it is practiced in hotter environments. Practicing hot yoga results in intense sweating which acts as a catalyst in the process of detoxification.

Here are some do’s and don’ts to help you to practice hot yoga safely http://yotopia.co.uk/hot-yoga/

Hope this helps image

• BexgreenBexgreen Posts: 505
    I tried hot yoga the other week and really enjoyed it. Got my second class on monday and really looking forward to it.
  • lylelyle Posts: 1

For certain, it is good. In fact, each type of yoga in this case, hot yoga, passes you a number of unparalleled benefits and poses. Whether it is physical or mental, challenges are capable to be defeated within these time by making use of the fundamental practice of yoga.

Rather than going for a professional yoga center, I sensed that buying best yoga DVD’s online is a convenient option to a huge degree. I came across this http://itday.com/yoga/top-6-best-yoga-dvd-review-ultimate-guide-yoga-lovers/ to know that this is probably one of the better options out there as far as affordability and sustainability is regarded.

Moreover, additional benefits comprises of premium categories to choose out of, being designed to satisfy the specific needs of the common people in general.

I'd earnestly appreciate if you could kindly please share your opinion.