Advice/Help on Slimming World

Hi All, I wondered if any of you out there are on slimming world to slim down for your wedding day? I'm after some advice really, I'm starting next Monday and would like to prepare menus and food plans this week (generally I start on a whim, never prepared and fail amazingly because I carry on eating normally) - that's where I need the advice... What is your favourite meal/thing to eat and do any of you have nuggets of advice to help me along the way? Thank you Lou xx

• I've been doing SW since 21st May and have lost over 2.5st so far. I do it online only rather than going to classes due to my shift patterns.  I fill up on lots of fresh fruit to snack on and stick to the Extra Easy plan.  I work shifts and I find it easy to stick to.  I tend to take more food than I think I need with me to work so I'm not tempted by crap in the canteen.

The things I like - Mug Shots (some flavours are syned so check), For night shifts I take a savory rice and ASDAs chickpea dhal (free).  There are lots of recipes online to choose from.

I would also advise getting the magazine as that also has lots of tips in, and it also has a whole weeks' menu plan which will give you a good starting point.

• Im doing SW . Been on it for 6 weeks and lost 18lbs so far . Struggling a bit this week as I have massive cravings for junk food . Fave meal has to be chicken stir fry or steak jacket potato and mushrooms ( all syn free ) image
  • beesbees Posts: 835

I need to get my ever increasing bum back to SW. It is a great plan but I've been on it for a couple of years and was focusing on maintaining so stupidly let it slip.

My biggest thing would be to buy some frylight, it's a low cal cooking spray that you can use for SW chips, frying meat and eggs, roasted veg and roasted new potatoes etc.

I find that I can adapt most recipes now. last night we had spag bol, tonight I made a kind of chicken kiev by putting some garlic and herb philly cheese inside a chicken breast and wrapping with bacon. It's when I'm disorganised that things go wrong so I think that you're going about it the right way by getting an idea of recipes before. I also have a fab recipe for hunters chicken if anyone wants it.  

Soups are brilliant for lunch as I can make them in bulk and heat them up at work. Also things like pasta salad (I have tuna pasta ready for tomorrow)

The new colemans and bisto gravy pastes are free too, which the granuals are not.

Good luck with it

• That's great ladies thank you xx

We can encourage each other if anyone is struggling xx
  • JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058

I think I'm going to join SW.

Have tried WW a few times; I lose a bit but then somehow hit a brick wall after a couple of months.

The wedding hasn't motivated me like I thought it would, but after being told today that H2B and I will need IVF I need to get down to a healthy BMI so I'm eligible for treatment on the NHS.  So I HAVE to do it this time! xx

Thank you wenchy image

To be honest we haven't decided whether it's a road we definitely want to go down, but I want to get healthy and at least give us that chance if and when we do decide it's the best option for us.  I don't know whether it's shock but I'm actually handling the news quite well.  I try to be quite fatalistic about these things!

It's just so hard to lose weight!  I'm convinced I have the FAT gene image xx

Oh good luck Jodielou. Our friends were on IVF for quite a while and have just had their beautiful little girl, she is perfect and my H2B (the man who cant stand children) is absolutely in love with her. I always think its nice to hear success stories when you're starting something so big.

I really wish you both the best of luck. x

Thank you beesteacher x

Sorry I must have posted at the same time as you. I cant blame the FAT gene as my family are all quite slim. I blame H2B who can eat anything and never put on an ounce. He's a VERY bad influence, personally I think that he likes the bigger boobies!

• I've been doing Slimming World for a week now and lost 5lbs so far, so I'm very happy! . It's a great plan but I think you do need to organise things in advance I'm cooking more and eating loads more vegetables and I think it's made me realise how lazy I've become since leaving uni and moving in with H2b (he does all the cooking normally) In short, I highly reccomend slimming world! One thing I've found helpful is the Mini Mins forum as there are loads of ideas and recipes on there an lots of inspirational photos and stories that I've been looking at when I feel like chocolate!!  http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/

Good luck, I hope you enjoy the plan! xx

Wenchy, I have been battling the bulge for a good 10 years so I know where you're coming from!  I want to be a 12 again, not an 18! image

Beesteacher I blame my H2B (as well as the fat gene that has obviously been lurking image) and his super-metabolism: his weight stays at around 10st 7lbs  no matter what he eats or drinks! image

wenchy wrote (see)
    I'm not a violent person but right now I could scratch his eyes out lol xx

LOL! imageimageimage

I feel like that every time he weighs himself and does a little dance in the bathroom because he's managed to reach the dizzy heights of 10st 8lbs!  He just can't put on weight; even if we go on holiday for two weeks and he really indulges he might put on a couple of pounds.  I fluctuate more than that in a day!

I hate hanging our washing out........I want MY jeans to be the smallest! image xx

• SadSack83SadSack83 Posts: 1,700

If you are able to (i.e. no medical reasons not to!) I would also build in some exercise. It can be brisk walking to start off with but then needs to get more energetic as you start losing weight. 

I have never done SW but from my understanding it accounts extra food for exercise so you'll still be eating enough to lose sensibly but how your body looks as it changes shape will be better - oh and you'll be healthier too. 

It's easy to get caught up on food only but being healthy and thinner requires a change of attitude and habits to ensure that the weight stays off. 

I lost 8 stone and am just coming up to my 5 year anniversary of keeping it off. I genuinely believe it is the exercise that makes me in the 5% or so that keeop weight off after 5 years while the remaining 95% put it back on and more!

Oh and be honest with yourself! It's easy to cheat whatever plan you do but the scales won't lie!

And drink lots of water!

Good good good luck, C

• Blimey thank you ladies, I didn't have any notifications that anyone had posted and I have loads!??

Jodielou I know how you feel I have PCOS and am always told I need to loose weight to conceive but I have an underactive thyroid too so sometimes feel like I'm fighting a loosing battle!??

I'm always joining a running club tomorrow night which is terrifying me!??

Xx

Good luck with the running club! A good one will be really supportive and help you to achieve your fitness and weight loss goals! 

If you don't like it try a different club! They are all different. I run quite a lot (do triathlons) but worked my way through 3 before I found one which had similar training/attitude as me! 

• Thanks SadSack - do you feel it's made much of a difference for you? X

I find running with the club makes me more motivated and push myself harder. They expect more of me than I would of myself on a leisurely evening run so I go all out! The competitiveness is also good and we encourage and support each other which is nice. I also think it's safer! 

I have kept all the weight off that I lost 5 years ago and while it's definitely down to exercise not sure if it's the running club specifically! 

• It is rightly said that slimming world has been really useful for most people and they also have got the results as well , that is why more and more people who are going to start it for making themselves free from fats and healthy as well .