Forum home Weight loss for your wedding

All tips/help much appreciated!

Morning ladies!

I just wondered if I can ask some advice from you all on successful diet/wight loss plans that actually work?? I have put on about a stone and a half over the past year (mainly due to being very comfortable with my now fiancé & enjoying too many meals out!) and would really like to shift it in time to be a bridesmaid this May and then of course for my own wedding next year.

I've been dieting (1200 cals a day, maybe more at the weekend!) and exercising regularly for the past 6 weeks but haven't lost a pound! Am I just not being script enough on myself?? I do love food (and a glass of wine!) but don't eat badly, many meals are cooked from scratch and eat lots of fruit & veg etc.

I've never tried WW or Slimming World, only counting calories (which has worked for me in the past but doesnt seem to at the moment) but would love to know if anyone can recommend either of these? I work long hours so probably couldn't attend a meeting as they are all early eve near me but could join online. Alternatively if anyone has a great exercise program they can recommend that would be great! I would prefer not to join the gym but have god local parks near me I should utilise and have an exercise bike at home!

Sorry for the rant, just feeling very demotivated after stepping on the scales this morning!

xx

• I can absolutely recommend slimming world! my MIL, Sister, and I have all hit it - we do stay to group most weeks which i personally do find helps but i think that is down to the actual group. MIL has lost 4 stone since last april, my sister has lost 2 1/2 stone since september, i've lost 1/12 stones since october (we all gained at christmas due to indulging for 5 days solid, but all managed to shift the christmas weight in 2 weeks)  We all eat really really well, still are able to have our treats and more importantly for me i am NEVER hungry. I actually cant sing SW's praises enough its fab!

Just to add, their website is brilliant, theres loads of support, hundreds and hundreds of recepies, its called life line on line and it really is! I'm on it all the time! xx

• I do slimming world online and I've lost over 4 st since may. It's the best thing I've ever done! I also go spinning about 3 times a week too.
  • Wife2b13Wife2b13 Posts: 166

I have been a SW member for 3 years in May. Really recommend it - have struggled lately but thats my own fault! I still go every week to get weighed and i stay to group as and when i can! image 

• Hi, I struggled with weight loss for years always going up and down between weights and then last year knowing the wedding was booked I decided I was in for the long haul and made a massive push to lose weight. I would say exercise is the key,and the key to keeping it off!

I have been on soo many different diets,ww,slimming world,atkins,cambridge,slim fast and each time I would lose about a stone and a half,then get bored of dieting and slowy put it all back on.

Last year I just downloaded myfitnesspal (a free app on your phone) you can track everything you eat on there to make sure you dont go over reccomended calories for the day,and track all exercise you do. It's really good!

I also took up zumba 3 times a week and swimming once a week - the weight melted off but whats more,when I had a diet break over christmas I only put 2 pounds back on,when normally a month off my diet I'd put a stone back on lol I've managed to keep it off by keeping up the exercise.

Ive lost 32 pounds so far,but am now just startin on my journey to lose the last stone,I intend on hitting the gym 3 times a week and swimming once a week to shift it.

Good luck,try a few things out and see what you like best,I know people who have done ww and lost 3 stone,I know people who have done slimming world and lost loads,but I think if you couple one of these with a regular exercise routine you'll get there image

And don't be too upset if you don't see a big difference on the scales,I always do measurements of my hips,waist,legs and arms too so that on weeks when I havent lost a lot of pounds,you may have gained muscle and doing your measurements lets you see how your bodies changing image

• PoppinsPoppins Posts: 3,146
    I go to rosemary Conley classes and I can't recommend it enough! It's counting calories so if you are used to that it should be easy for you to follow. In each class you get weighed, have a helpful chat then do an exercise class! I've lost 3 stone so far and it's been easy (ish, obviously I've had weeks where I've lost motivation but that's my fault not the diets!) Good luck xx
  • MrsJCMrsJC Posts: 2,204

I've been doing WeightWatchers since December, and I LOVE it! I have lost 13lb so far, and it's still coming off.image

I don't go to classes, just do it online. I find it really easy to follow, and I eat really well - I really don't feel deprived. All foods have a points value and you are allocated a certain number of points per day, so you simply decide what to eat to use up your points. You can't carry points forward from one day to the next, but you do get a generous weekly allowance as well that you can use for treats, or to help on things like meals out.

I've also been going to the gym a lot, mostly doing cardio exercise, but I'm looking in to building in some weights as well.

• *nikki**nikki* Posts: 193

I do Slimming World, lost 4 stone in about a year (3 1/2 of that was in 9 months, it was the last bit that was slow!) Went from size 16/18 to now 8/10!

Slipped out of target weight over Xmas but it's my own fault and lack of focus that's hindering me getting the 7lb back off.

Boyfriend also joined when I joined and lost 6 stones in the same time.  My dad then joined and lost 3stones in about 6 months (he doesn't know a carrot from a custard creme!) and boyfriend's mum has also done about 3 stones too.

Even if you don't join, there are simple tips:

Swap cooking oil for Fry light
    Sugar for sweetener
    Fat cheese for low fat cheese
    Milk to skim/semi skimmed
    Choose lighter crisps such as Snack a Jacks/French Fries

Include 1/3 of fruit of veg with EVERY meal. Excluding peas & sweetcorn.
    Stop drinking fruit juices!!!
    Stop eating pre-packaged sandwiches/pastas etc from shops - swap for sushi!
    Don't eat microwave/ready meals

Good Luck!