Forum home Weight loss for your wedding

need to loose belly weight

Im getting married in august and need to loose this belly that i have got (ive got one even before having kids) - any ideas.

• tinkymootinkymoo Posts: 419

My belly is my kids....my bum however only myself to blame lol have you tried the dreaded sit ups? 

I've just started the 5:2 diet and the 30 day shred. Willing to try anything at the mo image 

• BexgreenBexgreen Posts: 505

Thanks for replying - ill give them ago.

• NuggyNuggy Posts: 527

crunches are good image I also do squats to tone legs and bum. image x

I struggle with squats.. well anything to do with hips. Developed probs with them after having my bambinos so cant even jog anymore. I think cutting out the junk and wine may help but i like it hahaha x

• Mrs pickleMrs pickle Posts: 319

I have this exact same problem that I also need to sort by August! 

What date are you in august  mrs pickle?

• Mrs pickleMrs pickle Posts: 319

Monday 4th! Strange I know, but we're going to Santorini so it doesn't matter abroad lol. How about you?

22nd x ive found that there are no strange days to have a wedding on - my friends had theres on a tuesday x how exciting santorini looks beautiful

I'm wed 14th jan! And in the uk so strange lol x

• :D:D Posts: 1,805

I have a tummy too. Been exercising and trying to eat healthier but not getting v far the the mo image

• Snowy78Snowy78 Posts: 453

Me too - all of my weight goes to my tummy. At the moment my dress doesn't even do up image and I am August too.....!

I have been tempted by the 30 day shred....I think I might give it a try too.

I have been going to Zumba once a week and that has made a (small) difference.....

What date in august are you?

I am the 2nd August - getting closer now and the impending weight loss is looming......so I feel your pain! image x

Not long now - my friend gets married the day before you one 1st

• Bridetobe2017Bridetobe2017 Posts: 237

Pilates is good as it tones you really quickly. xx

• VictoriaLouiseBVictoriaLouiseB Posts: 2,951 New bride

Belly weight it mainly to do with sugar, try and cut out sugar from your diet, look at the clean and lean diet plan for some tips but basically just before my wedding i cut down sugar and ate brown rice/pasta/bread instead of white and the weight was just falling off my stomach which was always my problem area. I lost 11 inches and 7lbs in 2 weeks

Omg mrs brown thats fab!! Did you just eat normal other than that? Im currently doing 5:2 diet x

• VictoriaLouiseBVictoriaLouiseB Posts: 2,951 New bride

Yeah totally the same just swapped white stuff for brown and cut out biscuits/sweets etc

I tried the 5:2 diet but could never stick to the low calories lol 

• You probably know this, but you can't spot reduce fat, so you will need to lose weight all over if you want to see a specific area shrink. If your stomach is the first place it goes too, then it might also be the last place it seems to come off (I'm the same with my thighs and hips, sigh).

The 30 day shred would be a great start (I actually just started it today as well!) but it's effectiveness will depend on a couple of other factors:

1) How active you are otherwise during the day. If you spend a lot of the time walking around then it should be okay, but if you commute by car and spend lots of time sat in an office, then you will probably need to add in some more cardio as well to see results. 20 minutes a day is a great start, but it's not even the recommended minimum!

2) What you eat - although it's true that it's calories that make the final difference, where you get your calories will also make a pretty big impact. Things which are very high in saturated fats and sugar will leave you feeling even hungrier. Try and eat lots of fresh fruit (not the stuff in a can....) and have half a plate of vegetables with every meal. Fibre is really good for you and helps you feel full too!

3) Finding something that works for you in the long term. Ultimately, I'm assuming that you'd like to stay in shape AFTER the wedding as well, which means finding a routine and an eating pattern that works for you in the long run. The 5:2 that everyone harps on about might be great for the 6 months before the wedding, but you can't do that when pregnant. Or breastfeeding. It's better to find a normal eating pattern to last you in the long run. If you're going to be making changes now you might as well make them for the long run image

You've got three months, and that is plenty of time. If they offer them where you are I would strongly recommend that you try a body pump class. It's like a weight's class basically (normally predominately women) and it really makes a difference to your shape if you do it regularly.

• Spam88Spam88 Posts: 1,001

Not that I can really talk, because I have a rather large belly given the size of the rest of me, I am incapable of sticking to an exercise routine, and I am firmly against not eating what I want - but have you tried doing reverse crunches? (In my defence...mostly the issue is self control, but I also can't do the whole starvation diet thing or eating whole grains and loads of veg because of IBS!)

Sorry if I'm preaching at the converted here!  But a normal crunch works your upper abdominal muscles so isn't going to do much to tone your lower abdominals.  In case you don't know, for a reverse crunch you have your legs up in the air perpendicular to the floor, cross your ankles over, and then instead of where you'd normally lift your head, you lift your bum off the floor (if you google it you'll find a better explanation).  There are also bicycle crunches that work your obliques.  So if you do a set of regular crunches, oblique crunches and reverse crunches every night you should start to see a bit of a change image  As has been said above, you'll need to do some cardio as well to really burn fat, but doing the crunches without cardio is better than doing nothing at all!

Thanks everyone for these tips, cutting out sugar and swapping for brown rice/pasta  - easy changes - body pump sounds like a great idea and I will def be trying the reverse crunches.....I will keep you posted on progress.

Well done Mrs Brown - that is amazing.....congratulations on your pregnancy - I hope all is going well - enjoy this exciting time image

Hopefully by combining a few things and actually doing something about it I will fit in my dress!

• K2bHolK2bHol Posts: 83

Hi ,

I have the same problem - it's my tummy that I want to get a little flatter than it is! 

My h2b's friend is very into his fitness (does marathons/trains others etc) and he told me that along with sit-ups, planking is great to tone the stomach muscles. You'll have to Google it though as i'll be useless trying to explain it like he did. I thought it would be sooo easy compared to sit ups .....but it hurts a lot more than expected! It is working though image 

Thanks guys for all the advice image