Willpower and eating

ok I need help. So ive mentioned on here before that I had an accident and subsequent operation meant I was sofa and house bound for about a month. I'm back at work now and still in a boot and crutches but I STILL can't exercise and it's 3 months till my wedding.

while I was at home I controlled my food a lot and could manage it really well - to the point that I lost weight! Now I'm back at work and they feed us breakfast and lunch - full blown buffets. My problem is - I see it, I eat it. I've tried so so hard but I'm terrified im going to pile it back on. I've already moved my first fitting 3 weeks later to give me a chance to loose weight .... What I need is some practical tips to train willpower. Does anyone have experience of getting themselves out of a 'see it eat it' mindless eating thing?! Do you have a successful mantra you chant?! I'm feeling so panicky about this. Any advice or support hugely appreciated! 

• MC98MC98 Posts: 211

Could you try and take packed up breakfasts/lunches with you if budget allows? I work in an office so my situation is slightly different in that I'd have to go out and buy lunch if I didn't bring it with me, but I find that bringing with me the only food I can eat for the day stops me from going out at lunch and buying "extras".. Other than that, it really is just being strict with yourself I think - thinking about what you're going to have before you get there, trying not to leave it til you're really really hungry (a bit like going to the supermarket on an empty stomach - never ends well!!)...

Good luck!!! :)

• Sarah398Sarah398 Posts: 266

I'm a bit ashamed to say that I chant to myself the very controversial Kate Moss slogan:

"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels".

I would like to make disclaimer that I do not support Anorexia in any shape or form, its just it helps me to focus on not eating the things I want to, but shouldnt.

If I fancy something sweet I allow myself a few pix n mix sweets but not whole bag as they are my favourites.  I keep them in my glove box not in my handbag so I have to make effort to get to them.

Good Luck xx

• Drink lots of water too. Sometimes you'll eat more if you're actually thirsty so make sure you drink lots of water with meals and as MC98 suggests, can you take your own meals in? That way you're prepared. Make sure you have healthy snacks available such as nuts or cucumber sticks and hummus. That way, if you are still hungry you're reaching for good foods instead. 

• rainbooboorainbooboo Posts: 545

Is it literally in the same room as you or do you have to walk to another area ie. kitchen to get it? Because if it's literally sat across the room from me I would be dying to scoff it all!! BUT if it was in another room I would find it easier. I would ask someone else to go get me my food and portion control it OR bring my own in and eat it before the buffets arrive.

I'm hungry now

• MrsE2016MrsE2016 Posts: 1,207 New bride

I'd second what the other ladies have said - plan your meals & take all your food to work.

It's so much easier to control what you eat when you plan it and only eat what you've take with you. It's hard to avoid the biscuits/crisps/choc that is easy to pick at & buffets are a nightmare if you're trying to lose weight!

Try and keep your goal in mind - it will definitely be worth it when you feel amazing in your dress on your wedding day and allow yourself a few treats, like champagne & of course your wedding cake!

Good luck x

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

Whilst the suggestion of bringing your own food is good, I know this wouldn't work for me. When it comes to food, my willpower is so low that I would sooner sack off the pack lunch I bring in for the nice buffet food. Plus when food is free, I just grab it with both hands regardless of if I am hungry or not lol. I sound like such a fatty. 

Maybe try and bring in your own plate so that the amount of food you can take from the buffet is limited? And put a pic of a skinnier version of you up at your desk, or a pic of your dress, to encourage you to choose the healthiest choices from the buffet. 

• Kitten2014Kitten2014 Posts: 1,489

Definitely bring in your own food. Rarely if ever is nearly anything on a buffet healthy: even the salad usually has bacon crumbled, feta cheese, eggs, and other high-fat/ high-cholesterol adders. Chances are, if you even go IN that room, it's going to be impossible to pass up the fried chicken in favor for brown rice with soy sauce.

If the weather permits, go OUTSIDE and take a walk during buffet time. You'll get exercise AND avoid the hi-cal food: bonus!

Make sure to bring several HEALTHY (or low-cal, lo-fat) snack items - be sure to read the ingredient lists! SO many so-called healthy snacks are full of calories and/or fat. Apples, bananas, rice cakes, pretzels are my go-to snack items. 

Drink TONS of water. When I get tired of drinking plain water, I add lemon or those squeeze-in flavourings.

Post a pic right where you can see it of a girl in a gown that you would like to look like. When you want to pounce on the amazing smelling food, think to yourself, "If I eat that, I'll never look like this." I am also in NO way trying to create an eating disorder here, but this may provide motivation at least in the short term.

Think high-volume foods. Don't eat your brought-from-home lunch and then sneak "just a brownie" from the buffet. Do you know how much you could have to eat in a different food for the same calories as that dumb brownie bite? Think in terms of trades: I could eat ONE little brownie OR have an entire bowl of Japanese pan noodles or a huge bowl of lettuce/spinach with lo-cal Italian dressing. Try to eat for fullness and choose foods for their "volume."

Really, really learn to read food labels. That's something that helped me years ago. As I said before, so many items look or are touted as being healthy that are NOT.

I'm a skinny b*tch, in an office constantly surrounded by candy and donuts. Take it from me, these tips work.

• MrsE2016MrsE2016 Posts: 1,207 New bride

Agree with everything Kitten2014 says - unfortunately there is no easy way to get willpower, you just have to prep like a boss (as Joe Wicks would say!), be strong, keep your end goal in sight at all times & it will be worth it!

Working in an office is hard when there's treats & unhealthy food all around you (my office is a nightmare - always cakes/biscuits/sweets around - as well as work events with free alcohol that I have to avoid!) but you have to keep reminding yourself why you're doing it & stay away - it gets easier the more you practice! xx

• EJS1982EJS1982 Posts: 664

Thanks sooo much ladies. I guess I'm loathe to bring in my own food when I save so much money eating at work - plus there's the social aspect of it. I have my own office and if I ate packed lunches I wouldn't see any colleagues all day! But it's probably something I should at least try for a week.

water is a good suggestion - my empty bottle has been sitting on my desk all day! Plus I like the idea of a motivational pic up - will print one now and stick on computer! 

I knew I could rely on you ladies - so much appreciated. Maybe I could set alarms each day with motivational slogans! I like 'eat for the body you want, not the body you have'. I just want to good on the day and especially in a bikini on the honeymoon! 

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride

EJS I know how you feel. I used to work in an office where we got free lunch and breakfast. I was OK with not having the breakfast as I tended to eat before I left the house anyway but I was terrible with lunches. There used to be a joke at this company about everyone putting on the <company name> stone because of the food.

Like you it was social as well to go and see your colleagues and have lunch together in the canteen.

Afraid I have no advice for you - I let the weight creep on and didn't lose it until I left that company. All I can say is try to think about what options you are taking. Near the end of my time there I tried to stick to things that I knew the points value of on weight watchers....

• MC98MC98 Posts: 211

EJS - I'm the same re honeymoon.. I'm relatively happy with how I'm going to look in my dress - after all, a lot of me is going to be covered up, and I'll be nicely sucked in. The same CANNOT be said for honeymoon bikinis, dresses, and shorts

• EJS1982EJS1982 Posts: 664

MC98 haha I know! I think the dress will look lovely and I'm wearing some supportive underwear from marks n sparks (Mmm sexy) but I NEED to tone up and slim down these damn thighs and arse for the beach - impossible with not being able to do cardio!!! I've got the Adrian James 6 pack app which is really good but i'm so desperate to go for a run it's unreal.

Sigh. I think I need to be a lot tougher on myself when it comes to lunches especially. I was hoping 'the fear' would have kicked in by now and I'd be starving myself but alas no. I had a lovely cream and jelly dessert instead. 

• You'll get there. I've managed to drop a dress size and haven't been well so unable to run for the last few months and understand your frustration. 

Best thing I've found is having to fill in a food diary as it makes me think about what I eat a lot more. Still indulge occasionally mind. I'd recommend myfitnesspal - works well. Other motivation is taking weekly measurements rather than weighing myself. Good luck :) 

• Kimberley23Kimberley23 Posts: 167

No advice - but just to say I found reading this really useful having just snuffled a whole brownie!! Thanks everyone :) 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

I work in aldi and spend all shift scanning sweets and cakes and biscuits, making a mental list of all the foods In going to buy on my break!

Ive started taking my own breakfasts of fruit, or for later shifts eating before of after work rather than during.

Its only been a week and OH keeps buying junk for at home so theres no difference yet! I have a year to go though...

• JdotJJdotJ Posts: 196 New bride

I haven't started planning yet, but am just trying to get in shape for Summer and have started Protein World. I'm quite small anyway but have let myself go a bit, it's more for toning but i've read amazing reviews on it for weight loss. I'm only on day 4 at the moment so can let you know how it goes (the vanilla flavour does taste amazing though)

Jx

• SapphireSapphire Posts: 1

I'm useless when it comes to will power when I'm  out and about, especially if I see yummy food! 😳

Have started some new boosters which I take with water before a meal though and it helps me do some serious damage limitation as I feel full quickly before I eat too much! 

Feeling healthier and better than ever!!! 💪🏼💯🍉

Feel free to get in touch for more info! 

• Kim90Kim90 Posts: 183

I know exactly how you feel..my h2b broke his leg while redundant and has had 3 months on the sofa watching war films and snacking..lol.so he has put on weight,even now a month after cast is off he has pain which means less exercise..

anyway try to get out at lunchtimes...get fresh air, anything but look at food! 

Drink loads of water...great for your skin too

pop up a photo of a model in your dress or similar dress/ bikini that you aspire to...it will make you think twice.

take any exercise! Stairs instead of lifts...park a bit further from work or walk there..make time for a walk or bike ride at any opportunity..put on music and dance about your home..run up and down the stairs a couple more times..I even do leg lifts while blow drying my hair! Learn to pull in that tummy ..Every little helps! 

Good luck 

• Kimberley23Kimberley23 Posts: 167

How's it all going ladies? Anyone had any success with Protein World? 

• RobynxxRobynxx Posts: 658

Hi

i have been doing protein world since feb and lost 2st 4lbs. I am exercising too.

i love the shakes and vanilla tastes lovely and does keep me full. Superdrug now stock it too so it's easier to get, at the moment they have it for buy1 product get another half price so it's a good deal!