Slimming Down For The Gown - August 2017 Bride

Hi Everyone,

I am getting married in August 2017 and have about 20 pounds to lose before the big day. I know I’ve got a while to lose it, but I’d rather lose it slowly then, rush it with a few months to go (mainly because I suck at diets, so the longer I have, the better!)

Is anyone else getting married next year and wants to join me, so we can all motivate each other? I was thinking we could use this forum as a bit of support network, as I know I definitely need the support! (Currently sat eating a bag of crisps as I write this)

My plan is start going running, using the coach to 5k app, plus do an exercise class once a week.

Eating wise, I think to start off with I'll just cut down on all the junk food, and make a conscious effort to eat better

Anyway, I’ll be starting officially on Monday 19th September, as I have a hen party this weekend, and diets and hen parties just don’t go together!

It would be great to have some of you lovely ladies on board too if you’re looking to do the same.

xxxx

• Bims09Bims09 Posts: 240 New bride

I'd love to join you! I'm a July 2017 bride, not got too much weight to lose but I would definitely like to tone up and feel more confident about myself before the big day. Like you I want to take it slowly and get into a good routine (one that will hopefully last post-wedding), as I've never been good at dieting.

So far I have joined a gym and have started going to cxworx classes twice a week - I would recommend these for a good core workout, it's hard but they're only 30 minutes! I'd also like to start swimming regularly and eating healthier meals. I haven't got any apps, have they got good reviews?

My main issues are being lazy (I love my sofa and will happily spend all evening watching crap tv) and snacking - I'm a nightmare.

Let's do it :)

xx

• Hi Bims09,

Glad to have someone else on board :)

Oh wow, my issues sounds the same as yours, the sofa is difficult to resist!! :)

I've not heard of cxworx, I’ll have to look it up. I recently started a Bounce class, which is basically aerobics on a trampoline. It’s a lot of fun and a pretty hard work out!

I've used Coach to 5k a couple of years ago, and I really enjoyed it, but then when winter came around I got out of the habit of going for a run, and have really struggled to get back into it. Winter can’t stop me this year though!

How’s your wedding planning going? Can’t believe how fast time is moving. It will be 2017 in no time!

xxx

• Count me in ladies!! I dont have a set amount to lose but I HATE my arms and really want to see about sorting those out so I feel confident on the day! X

• Yay! I also hate my arms, Littlespice, so if I find any good exercises. i'll let you know! :)

xxx

Bounce sounds really fun! Brings back memories of doing seat drops in school PE lessons, haha. I've heard that pole dancing is supposed to be a good work out but not sure I'd be particularly graceful! I think keeping it enjoyable is the key, I don't want to be slogging it out in the gym every day and resenting it.

Yeah, it's so hard to get motivated once it starts to get colder. I've never been much of a runner but might give it a go this year! Perhaps a bit of variety will help?

Oh my goodness, this year has flown by. We've got the church and reception venue sorted, and have sent out save the date cards... that's about it so far  hopefully going dress shopping in the next few weeks, and photographer is next on the list. How about you?

Littlespice - ditto on the arms! I have always hated mine in photos. Arms and hips are my target areas!

From Monday it's on...

xxx

• I'm totally in on this :) I'm an unconfirmed date bride but hoping for around February (will be booked late because of Granddads health). 

I started my diet and fitness last week so hopefully you don't mind me joining in still. 

So far I've joined the local swimming pool swam a few lengths then chickened out because someone was splashing and I didn't like it haha, Oh and I've cut back on my fizzy drinks :S

• You've read my mind, I was thinking about starting a post to round up some motivation for fitness! 

I "follow" an exercise programme called Bikini Body Guide, it is pretty intense, 3 resistant workouts a week, plus 4 to 5 LISS workouts and 1 HIIT workout. It is a 12 week DIY programme, but I've not actually done any of the workouts since the beginning of summer and need a bit of push to get back into exercising. I'm not trying to lose weight, just want to destress and feel healthier and more confident. 

I've also found Instagram to be quite motivating to follow other fitness girls on there, but I'm not a regular social media stalker, so miss out on lots of motivating posts. 

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

Count me in :) i don't get married till Nov 2017 but figure i need to lose the weight sooner rather than later for the dress - dont want to be panicking last minute. I have just got back on the diet train, just cutting out the crap and eating healthy as much as i can, i'm aiming to lose a stone between now and xmas which is a pound a week so hopefully do-able! i am terrible for being lazy too and def need to improve the arms so would be very grateful of any tips on that front, i don't do gyms so i need to do something i can do at home, i can do it if i have the motivation i think, just need to get started and make it routine!

• Mrs17Mrs17 Posts: 788 New bride

I love this thread. There have been a few threads along the weight loss lines on here, but nothing continuous. One of the other forums I (occasionally!) frequent has a weight loss board, and regular postings with diet/exercise updates - which I find very motivational.

I run a couple of times a week (started with Couch 2 k5 a few years ago FJClose), do a spin class, a kettlebell class and usually find time for a swim too... My diet is letting me down though  I reward myself for exercise with food!!! It's a vicious circle, and I would love to lose a stone before getting married next June. If anyone has any diet tips or meal ideas, I would love to hear them. x

• sonia9sonia9 Posts: 243

count me in too please. I get married May 2017. Would like to lose 10 pounds and tone up, especially arms. It's only my head and arms sticking out of the dress haha.

I've always exercised but I've stepped it up the last few weeks. I've just done week 2 of the couch 2 5k app and I'm trying to do 3 gym classes but I too am a sofa fan and last week was 1 gym class!!xx

• So happy so many of you are on board! I think this is the kick up the butt that I needed.

I'm rubbish with gyms, they just don’t motivate me at all, so I have to really enjoy exercise before I’ll do it willingly. Swimming I love, and the bounce classes are great fun, so hopefully I find a few more things that I enjoy.

A friend told me about this app you can get to help you with running called ZombieRun. Apparently it’s like a story book, and you're a character in the story, and it tells you when you are being chased my zombies and you have to run faster. Not sure if I’ll love that or end up running into traffic in fear haha! Has anyone heard of it?

How is everyone’s wedding plans coming on? Does everyone have their dress??

xx

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

I'm in! I was part of another awesome fitness and weight loss thread on another forum, and then all the brides got married and I was the only one left for 2017. They all left the forum 

So my date is 1st July 2017 and I want to loose at least a stone beforehand. Mostly for the skimpy honeymoon outifts rather then my dress. And also want to loose from my face for the wedding pics. 

I started in June hoping to loose half a stone...ive lost 4 pounds grrrr! But people have noticed a visual change and I am a lot fitter too. The exercise I am doing is very high intensity so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm gaining more weight in muscle then I'm loosing in fat. If that is the case I dont mind, but I should be taking measurements. I can just never be assed when I have my clothes off (! i.e. rushed in the morning or tired for bed!)

Might post some minging pics of me on here soon ish to encourage motivation. 

CherryCokeQueen, keep up with the swimming! I'd recommend going to adult lane only sessions if you can, public swims always have too much splashing and too many kids in the way for me. Good job on the fizzy drinks, I'm trying to cut down on the odd glass of wine in the evening  can never believe how many calories are in alcohol!

Janey - that sounds really intense! Is it a bit like insanity? My ex-housemate used to do that but I avoided it at all cost because it sounded brutal.

Wed172b - I think a pound a week is definitely doable, perhaps try some of these apps the other girls have suggested or workout dvds?

Wibble, I would love to try a kettlebell class but the one at my gym is always full! Do you find it helps to tone you up?

Sonia - the sofa is actually lethal. Once I've sat down at the end of the day, that's it! I have to keep moving so try to do gym classes straight after work if possible. But it's a struggle!

FJClose - the zombie app sounds awesome, I may have to try that. Never been great with horror films, but maybe that will help...

Jenni, I saw a great facebook post a little while back about how measuring your body weight isn't necessarily helpful when you are exercising as you gain muscle instead, but you can really see the difference in body shape. The girl who posted it was inspiring, I'll try to find it later

I haven't got my dress yet!

• Ooooo count me in!

Im a Nov 2017 bride, I want to drop a dress size ideally but mostly want to  just feel better about myself! I really need that kick up the bum! I do so well for a few days then I fall back into old habits! 

Most annoyingly (for myself) I struggle with exercise due to back pain so all I can do is yoga and even that hurts my back quite badly but I'm so determined to do this! 

• Bims - it's not as intense as insanity!!

Each resistance workout is two circuits of 7 minutes you repeat (ie. circuit 1 for 7 mins, circuit 2 for 7 minutes, then back to 1 and then 2 for the last one) totals 28 minutes with 30 seconds rest between each circuit. 

Wibble - I am also a June 2017 bride! What date are you? I'm the 3rd June. 

Jenni - I find taking progress photos help, always take at the same time of day, and take every 2 to 4 weeks. You can then use an app to compare the two photos next to one another. It's a bit deflating at first because there is always something we want to improve, but it is really rewarding when you see how far you've come when you compare them. 

FJClose - I have my dress! I just need to make sure my waist doesn't change as my dress is technically half an inch too small on the waist to make the bust area more reasonable (tiny boobs!). It was the shop assistants recommendation and there is some give in the fabric.  

Also I cannot recommend Lean in 15 for food choices that are good value, great taste and quick and easy to make. Plus everything is clean eating!

• I have my dress! It's relatively low cut and fit and flare so actually doesn't look that great on girls with no curves! It's sheer back so not much structure for the old belly but it's mainly my arms I want to sort out.

The sample fit me almost perfectly but I asked them to order it in a size up - thats how confident I am that ill lose weight for the wedding 😂

I do the Les Mills classes at my gym, when I motivate myself to go it really makes a difference! Too scared to try Insanity! My tip is go first thing, otherwise you have all day to talk yourself out of it x

• Count me in!! July 2017 bride! And I'm struggling to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I did so well  a month ago but i have fallen of the band wagon and I am currently at work stuffing my face with chocolate chips cookies 🙈 ..  I detest the gym so I try to attend 4 exercise classes a week ( body blitz, Zumba and body conditioning) which I love!! I'm also trying to keep a food diary by using the S health app on my Samsung. It helps me keep a record of my calorie intake and suggests how many calories im supposed to have based on the amount I want to lose. I've also made food substitutes I.e brown rice instead of white., bulgar wheat or cauliflower rice instead of rice. Treats only on the weekends. And plenty of water. 

One of my main problem is I eat late, so I'm trying to have dinner by 8pm latest. Easier said than done haha xx

• Hi Neeks Bride to Be! I'm terrible for eating late too. Going to an exercise class shortly so won't eat till 9 tonight 

I've found a spin class I want to do, but no one will do it with me . Might have to put my big girl pants on and go it alone! Haha. 

I'm excited now to get going, I already feel more motivated talking to you lovely ladies! Roll on Monday (bet I never say that again)

Love your tip Littlespice about doing a workout on a morning! I'm so bloody lazy though I'd rather have an extra half hour in bed haha!! Maybe once I'm properly into this exercise regime I'll be more willing xxx

• Woohoo count me in!! I'm getting married October 2017 and as its a destination wedding I'm feeling the pressure to look good in a bikini! Xx

I also love Les Mills classes, just got back from Body Balance this eve! Really, really wish I was a morning exercise person but it's too easy to snooze the alarm lol.

Yay Neeks, another July 2017 bride! What day are you getting married?

Hadn't even thought about bikini pics, eek. Does anyone else find it harder because their other half doesn't need to/isn't really bothered about losing any weight? 

• Yes Bims!!! My OH just doesn't gain weight even though he eats loads. And he rarely works out yet looks great all the time. Boils my blood haha. 

I only have to look at food to gain weight. 

I keep telling him that I  can't wait for the day it catches up with him and he gets fat haha 

Xx

JaneytoMrsK - thanks for that tip - I will get H2B to take some more tomorrow I think. My last (and first) ones about 3 months ago were in the evening just after my class so I guess I'll do the same. Whats the app please?

FJClose - I have my dress! It is a sample which literally JUST does up. If I stay the way I am now, it will need to get taken out about an inch to allow for me breathing and eating food lol. But I am hoping I will loose enough for it to either not require altering (at the waist/hips) or taken in ideally! The bust needs to get taken in a LOT as I have rather small boobies! They're trying to convince me to put in huge cups to fill it out, but I would rather be true to my body shape and size. I prefer my small chest and would rather look like me in my dress!

I love this thread. It's motivating me already. We can do it. We all want to look and more importantly feel our best for our big day and our honeymoons. I went to kettlebell blast last night which is basically 30 mins hiit with kettlebells, I nearly die every time. Tonight it's Week 3 Run 1 of Couch to 5k for me. Diet wise I really need to keep myself in check as I lose it at the weekends or picking at things. I'm trying not to 'diet; as I've tried and failed in the past. So I'm sticking to 3 good meals and two snacks. Yesterday for example was: Porridge for breakfast, Boiled egg mid morning, Homemade soup and pieces of chicken for lunch, 12 almonds for the afternoon. Then for dinner it was jacket potato with tuna, veg and a small amount of light mayo. Before bed I had an options hot choc, 40 cals and really helps xx

FJClose wrote (see post):

Yes Bims!!! My OH just doesn't gain weight even though he eats loads. And he rarely works out yet looks great all the time. Boils my blood haha. 

I only have to look at food to gain weight. 

I keep telling him that I  can't wait for the day it catches up with him and he gets fat haha 

Xx

Urgh, I swear blokes can eat anything and still look exactly the same. It will catch up with them one day for sure!

I'm going to try and encourage smaller portion sizes at dinner time, we're terrible for it and end up eating faaaaar too much xx

I'm exactly the same re. large portions and I think this is my biggest downfall to be honest as I have a pretty good diet otherwise, like not snacking and healthy home cooked food. 

Anyway, this thread prompted me to weight myself as I've only done it twice since I started "dieting" and exercising - the first one (horrendous) then about 2 months in and I'd lost 4 pounds, I've now lost another 6 without realising taking a total loss of 10lbs over just over 3 months. I didn't really expect that to be honest. Got a nice run of 5/6 weeks that I can make my class twice a week so I am going to try and nail the diet in that time too to aim for the 1 stone loss mark! yay! I said I'd be happy with a stone loss but I could loose up to 3 to be honest. 

• that's the same with me because all my classes are after work, by the time I get home I end up eating late.. I've been to a couple spin classes its my least favourite class its so painful!! lool but worth it. You'll have a good time!!
    FJClose wrote (see post):

Hi Neeks Bride to Be! I'm terrible for eating late too. Going to an exercise class shortly so won't eat till 9 tonight 

I've found a spin class I want to do, but no one will do it with me . Might have to put my big girl pants on and go it alone! Haha. 

I'm excited now to get going, I already feel more motivated talking to you lovely ladies! Roll on Monday (bet I never say that again)

Love your tip Littlespice about doing a workout on a morning! I'm so bloody lazy though I'd rather have an extra half hour in bed haha!! Maybe once I'm properly into this exercise regime I'll be more willing xxx

• Bims09 wrote (see post):

I also love Les Mills classes, just got back from Body Balance this eve! Really, really wish I was a morning exercise person but it's too easy to snooze the alarm lol.

Yay Neeks, another July 2017 bride! What day are you getting married?

Hadn't even thought about bikini pics, eek. Does anyone else find it harder because their other half doesn't need to/isn't really bothered about losing any weight? 

July 15th!! whens Yours?

• AJ16AJ16 Posts: 89

Hi ladies

Love this forum I need something to keep me motivated! I'm getting married in June 2017 so am trying to tone and shape up to feel happy and comfortable in my dress!

I've been doing well for about a month but had a massive fail at the weekend with Chinese takeaway, cookies, ice cream and sweeties all in one weekend :-( I've been allowing myself a treat at weekends but not that many! haha

So this has given me the kick I need to get back on the healthy eating this week! I've stuck to my 4-5 gym classes a week at least so that's something! x

• Morning ladies, I am getting married April 2018 but I have started now as I have 3 stone to lose and I want to start looking at dresses this time next year.

I have been doing slimming world and exercising 5 times a week and so far I have lost 5lbs in 3 weeks  some days are tricky and I just want to eat junk but so far so good.

COME ON WE CAN DO THIS  xxx

we are all doing so well. I'm trying to remember that one bad meal doesn't make us gain weight, it's when the meal turns into a day or days of meals, the old 'start again tomorrow' mentality. We can do it.x