What diet is best?

I' wanting to loose about a stone before my wedding in September and I really need to tone up and lose my mum tum. I went dress shopping and couldn' enjoy it because if was so worried about my stomach and the lady helping me into dresses seeing it. 

I've trying to stick to a clean diet and exercise but finding it really hard with a house full of treats and the meals all seem bland! 

Can anyone recommend a diet I can follow or a good work out routine? 

• redhair82redhair82 Posts: 289 New bride

I know how you feel, but I am used to getting naked in front of shop assistants now! They have seen all sorts I am sure. 

I have been doing Weightwatchers but it is a lot more restrictive than it used to be in terms of how high points are for things, but if you eat a lot of chicken, fish and eggs then you will be fine. 

If you don't want to join "a diet plan" as such then there are loads of free calorie counting apps available. Most of it isn't brain science to be honest, avoid too much bread, dairy, fatty meats, crisps and chocolates. Swap in fruits, low fat yoghurts for cereal. Swap in rice cakes or bakes crisps and popcorn for fried crisps. Swap in lean meats, chicken, fish, heck sausages for red meat or battered food. Swap in sweet potato, butternut squash and vegetables for potatoes, chips etc. Eat more pulses and chickpeas and things like that. Eat low fat cheese, low fat philadelphia instead of full fat. 

For non-bland meals get Tom Kerridge's book, he has some LOVELY ideas. We have been doing a lot of them. Like home-made curries and things like that. 

Exercise is where I fall down as I don't have the time, but Joe Wicks has a DVD of 15 minute hit training workouts and they are very effective. Good luck! 

• Hullass1972Hullass1972 Posts: 601 New bride

I downloaded My Fitness Pal which is a great way of logging everything I eat and it gives you advice on meals and all the nutrient contents in the food too. It means I can eat normal foods but it makes me think about portion size and how many calories are in foods we simply don't think about. I've lost 5st using is so it definitely works alongside a fitness regime. 

• Mrs2018Mrs2018 Posts: 398

Thank you :) I've just download an app and put in the details of what I've ate today!  660 calories already! 

I think I might get some more supportive undies for the next time I go dress shopping! 

Hullass that's an amazing loss well done!!

Now for the exercise... I'm really not a big fan! I walk everywhere but actually doing a work out is a different matter! Most days by time I've got time to do it it's about 9pm! I've done a work out I found on YouTube today as I'm child free! 

• I swear by the "just eat fewer calories" diet. I'm a workaholic so I never exercise (which obviously isn't healthy) but eating a restricted calorie diet has always kept me skinny. I don't keep treats in the house basically ever, and not at my desk or in my car either. When we have treats in my office, I avoid wherever they are. I eat multiple, small meals (more like snacks) throughout the day which prevents me from being hungry and keeps my metabolism working. My approach to food has kept me slim basically my entire adult life and I don't even think about it, it's just a way of life for me.  It definitely works and doesn't take any special meetings, apps, planning or money.

I definitely have "cheat days".  Everyone needs those .  But I plan my week accordingly and "cheat days" are definitely restricted to things like birthdays, holidays, etc. Otherwise pretty soon you begin justifying too many cheat days!

• TiaMariaTiaMaria Posts: 120

There are so many out there, but a few -

slimming world - pretty easy to follow and pretty effective if you have a reasonable amount of time.

my Fitness pal

sweat with Kayla Itsines - I love this and I love the workouts but you do need to be disciplined and have some time! 

Body coach - hated this, did cycle 1 and it made me miserable. It’s expensive and I found to be really quite unlro and not worth it. 

Youtube - if you’re looking to work out this is brilliant! Thousands of quick hiit, low impact and with weights from as little as 15 minutes if you’re short on time. My favourites are millionaire hoy and fitness blender. If I’m running short on time or can’t get to the gym this rears sure I can squeeze a quick 20 minute hiiit in! 

I would say you need 2 key tho ha for it to work - discipline and organisation. Plan your meals, prep your meals and youll be good! 

Good luck! 

Mrs2018 wrote (see post):

Thank you :) I've just download an app and put in the details of what I've ate today!  660 calories already! 

I think I might get some more supportive undies for the next time I go dress shopping! 

Hullass that's an amazing loss well done!!

Now for the exercise... I'm really not a big fan! I walk everywhere but actually doing a work out is a different matter! Most days by time I've got time to do it it's about 9pm! I've done a work out I found on YouTube today as I'm child free! 

It really is frightening how quickly those calories add up...especially when it recommends 1200 per day if you want to lose weight!! You only have a stone to lose which is more than doable, and look for specific toning workouts which really do work. As has already been said, these can be literally 15 minutes of HIIT which continue to work long after you've stopped. I'm lucky, my kids are adults now so I have the time to indulge in my passion of running, I'd be lost without it!

• There's a group on fb called Team RH fitness, they are really good at helping you pick what calories you should have and set 15k steps a day which is hard work but it means if your not a keen gym go-er you are still getting exercise. The aim is to lose 1lb a week which will help in the longevity of the weight loss, they have loads of posts for info and it really makes sense when you read it all! 😊

FutureMrsR19 wrote (see post):

There's a group on fb called Team RH fitness, they are really good at helping you pick what calories you should have and set 15k steps a day which is hard work but it means if your not a keen gym go-er you are still getting exercise. The aim is to lose 1lb a week which will help in the longevity of the weight loss, they have loads of posts for info and it really makes sense when you read it all! 😊

At the minute my step count for the day is at 14545 but I won' really do much more walking today. I've done a short work out from YouTube earlier and may robe h2b into another later 😂

I just never actually seem to loose anything no matter what I try! It's so fruatrating! 

• Mrs2018 wrote (see post):
    FutureMrsR19 wrote (see post)

At the minute my step count for the day is at 14545 but I won' really do much more walking today. I've done a short work out from YouTube earlier and may robe h2b into another later 😂

I just never actually seem to loose anything no matter what I try! It's so fruatrating! 

Ah! But they set your calories so that achieving you 15k steps puts you in a daily calorie deficit of 500. So basically the aim is to burn 500 cals a day more than you consume, doing this 7x will equal 3500 calorie deficit which =1lb of fat 😊 honestly have a look on thier fb they make so much sense, and the videos are really funny 🙊 x

Thanks I'll deffo look into them :) I've set my own calories to 1500 atm and I've cut out all the sweets. Except h2b just brought me chocolate home which I now have to resist  😂

• MrsPB2019MrsPB2019 Posts: 734 New bride

Everyone will have an opinion on what works best.  For me I’ve been following Slimming World since last June, have lost 3 stone 8.5lbs to date and looking to reach 5 stone total. I like that I don’t have to count calories for everything I eat but of course I do count my “syns” and measure things like cheese.

If you do go the counting calories route the only thing I’d add is it’s important to look at the macros as well as calories. In other words you could eat 1200 calories a day of fast food and chocolate but that’s not healthy.

MrsPBtobe wrote (see post):

Everyone will have an opinion on what works best.  For me I’ve been following Slimming World since last June, have lost 3 stone 8.5lbs to date and looking to reach 5 stone total. I like that I don’t have to count calories for everything I eat but of course I do count my “syns” and measure things like cheese.

If you do go the counting calories route the only thing I’d add is it’s important to look at the macros as well as calories. In other words you could eat 1200 calories a day of fast food and chocolate but that’s not healthy.

I'e switches to wholegrain bread (limiting 2 slices a day), wholegrain rice and wholegrain pasta. Cut out the junk and increased the fruit and veg :) I'm just kind of winging it. I'e had just over 1300 calories today  and 23g of fats 

I've looked at slimming world but I've had the 'you don't need a diet' attitude so many times of people i know that do that sort of diet that its put me off signing up.

That's the good thing about MFP, within the logged 1200 calories, you can only have 150g Carbs, 40g Fat, 60g Protein, 2300g Sodium & 45g Sugars so you have to think about what's in all the calories you're consuming.

Hullass1972 wrote (see post):

That's the good thing about MFP, within the logged 1200 calories, you can only have 150g Carbs, 40g Fat, 60g Protein, 2300g Sodium & 45g Sugars so you have to think about what's in all the calories you're consuming.

I think that's the app the mother in law suggested. She has done all sorts of diets tbh. I think her moat successful diet was slimming world but she said it took over her life abit. She even did Christmas dinner slimming world style so she has switches to a low calorie diet and uses an app now. 

I' having a cheat day as I've just started a can of pop but that's all I'll have 😂

Mrs2018 wrote (see post):
    Hullass1972 wrote (see post):

I think that's the app the mother in law suggested. She has done all sorts of diets tbh. I think her moat successful diet was slimming world but she said it took over her life abit. She even did Christmas dinner slimming world style so she has switches to a low calorie diet and uses an app now. 

I' having a cheat day as I've just started a can of pop but that's all I'll have 😂

I refuse to say no to something I fancy because all it does is make you crave it more...I just do exercise to counter balance what I've eaten!

• Anna242Anna242 Posts: 2

I lost the most weight after counting calories with apps like MyFitnessPal. I also tried exercising and eating organic food. I ordered special containers at https://allinpackaging.co.uk/food-packaging/ to take low-calorie foods even to work. It has taken me a couple months to get to where I am. I'm in pretty good shape now.

• Michelle330Michelle330 Posts: 119

I’m counting caloties. I use my fitness pal and it gives me a target of 1550 calories a day. I use the Hairy Dieters books and Tom Kerridges. Lose weight for good book for some really tasty recipe, they also list calories which makes it easy to track. 

I lose about 1lb a week when I stick to it 

Michelle330 wrote (see post):

I’m counting caloties. I use my fitness pal and it gives me a target of 1550 calories a day. I use the Hairy Dieters books and Tom Kerridges. Lose weight for good book for some really tasty recipe, they also list calories which makes it easy to track. 

I lose about 1lb a week when I stick to it 

I'm using that app now but it only allows me 1200 calories. I can' figure out how to track my steps with the app so I'm entering the manually from what Samsung health tells me which is around 18000 steps a day. I didn't weigh myself this week but last week I'd lost 3lbs. I've also gave in with the clean died as it was making my craving so bad! Now I allow myself small treats and keep my exercise up. Figures cross the weight keeps coming off! 

• Michelle330Michelle330 Posts: 119

If I increas my target to 2lb a week it will tell me 1200 calories a day but I struggled to do that so I settled for 1lb a week. It Allows me to have a bigger dinner, so I don’t cheat as much at lunchtime because I know I’m getting a satisfying meal later

I don't eat that much during the day but pig out at night so I've kept it there to stop me from munching more than anything. I was struggling when we were having alot of rice and had cut out potatoes but now I'm having them but in moderation  

• Sue93Sue93 Posts: 2

I advise trying Fitbit application. It will help you on your way to lose weight.  Fitbit app is designed to keep track of all the daily activity of the user, his training, and health. You can count all your daily steps and distance right on your mobile device.

When I start using it I track my stats and jogging routes, hiking, and walking, monitor a number of calories consumed with the help of a reliable database of foods. It is also possible to keep track of your daily diet and manage your weight! Set a goal, enter weight, sleep duration and start to carry out a meal plan. Then, view the results and track your progress with the help of light-to-understand charts and graphs. Everything is so simple!

Fitbit application: https://freeappsforme.com/health-apps-android-ios-2017/ 

• Intermittent fasting is the best way to lose weight, regardless of whether you've got a wedding ahead or not. A colleague of mine lost 7 kilos in 6 weeks using this approach and I've seen great results in other people that I know.

• think weight loss can be one of the hardest things especially after having children. When your sleep deprived and stressed it can really make losing weight a challenge. I don't know whether anyone else on hear has tried the Red Tea Detox but it has helped me to shed quite a bit of weight before my wedding me and my husband did it together. I found out about it through a friend of mine who sent me a link and to be honest it works much better than green tea hope it works for you.
    https://redteadetox732119089.wordpress.com/2018/11/05/the-red-tea-detox-review/

• Shutterbug wrote (see post):

Intermittent fasting is the best way to lose weight, regardless of whether you've got a wedding ahead or not. A colleague of mine lost 7 kilos in 6 weeks using this approach and I've seen great results in other people that I know.

Agreed - and once you get used to it, it just becomes a habit. I lost 10kgs in 3-4 months.

• For long term sustainable weight loss there is no magic trick. More more & eat better. Keep anything processed off the menu, and the more ingredients you cant pronounce, the worse it is. 

It breaks my heart seeing people putting themselves through so much struggle, denying them things they like, starving themselves, liquid diets. Its not healthy and its not sustainable. 

Long term changes mean that once the wedding or whatever other event is over, you still keep at that goal, you dont suddenly go back to what you were when you were unhappy. 

Im a qualified Personal Trainer & have an Advanced Diploma in Nutrition - PLEASE message me if you have questions and want to go about it in a healthy manner. I will not charge - i just want people to look after themselves. 

• Think about how not to lose weight as well! You may think you'll eat less if you skip meals, but that can backfire, making you so hungry that you end up eating even more. if you don't eat enough calories, your body won't burn as many calories. Extreme diets promise instant weight loss, but many are unhealthy and cut your calories so low, your body may end up holding onto fat in order to fuel itself...I heard that pills or fat burning supplements promise fast weight loss, but many don't work and they aren't regulated, so there's no way to know if you're getting what's listed in the ingredients. Stay aware Hun! Cheers!!! 

• @CoffeeDogAddict is totally right... No magic trick.

I'm not qualified, but I've been through a LOT of weight and diet issues over the past 20 years and have got myself out of it by educating myself, and seeking out the real, scientific facts. Here are the biggest things I've learned along the way...

1) Is it really about WEIGHT? Or is it size, how you look in clothes, how you feel, what you want to be able to do? Weight is a fairly arbitrary measure that may or may not be the right one for your body goals. Take some time to understand your underlying motivation and WHY you want what you want. It can be really tough to go through that level of introspection, but fundamentally you need to get to the bottom of why you want to change, and what is going to change if you do.

2) Weight loss is a very simple equation of calories in versus calories out. There is a pretty large variation in how many calories your body burns by just existing, but fundamentally any and all diets work by making sure you put in fewer calories than you are burning. Even keto and intermittent fasting. Really. Promise.

3) The best diet is one you can stick to. It's better to lose weight more slowly but in a sustainable way than crash diet and put it all back on later. Part of this piece is educating yourself about how different foods make you feel, and which foods help you feel fullest and most energetic for longest. 1,600 calories of nutritious food with wholegrains, lean protein and lots of veg will make for much happier meals than 1,600 calories of fast food or meal replacement shakes. Some people work best on carbs, some people work best on protein. Log honestly (My Fitness Pal), make notes about how you feel, review your information and see what patterns you find.

4) If My Fitness Pal tells you to eat 1,200 calories a day, it is because your weight loss goals are too aggressive. This is the absolute minimum that My Fitness Pal will ever recommend for a woman, because it's roughly the number of calories that most women need just to meet their basic bodily needs. It's not healthy unless you are teeny tiny or are under direct medical supervision. Most women will do MUCH better on something like 1,500 or 1,600 calories a day.

Science is your friend when it comes to diet. Be skeptical, don't believe all the claims of any magic diet, and make darn sure to educate yourself as much as humanly possible.

Personally, the best commercial thing I ever did was the Joe Wicks 90 day plan. I ended up too thin, but BOY did I learn a lot along the way. It equipped me much better to make better choices in the future, and I've kept up with lifting weights and tracking my macros, and haven't felt better in years. I have no clue how much I weigh. I just know which trousers I fit in.

• You can reduce your weight by naturally. Doing exercise daily. Drink Green Tea. Avoid Fastfood. 
  • I just eat clean. I dont eat bread, pasta and very little rice. 

I eat 3 clean meals a day, mostly, fruit, veg, salad, eggs, sweet potato, grains and 2 snacks, fruit, nuts etc and drink 2-3 litres of water a day. 
  • SlySly Posts: 36 New bride
    My fiance has just had a knee op and needs to lose serious weight. The aneathetist and surgeon recommended dr Michael Mosley fast 800. I am afraid they also said no bread pasta spuds or rice as these contain high sugars which convert to fat plus cut out all no added sugar foods and drinks as they contain aspartame which boosts insulin production. Watch low fat foods too as these contain higher sugar in general. No alcohol or chocolates etc... no one said the odd treat day isnt allowed and let's face it, it's pretty boring and soul destroying if we don't eh. He is losing but he has a lot to lose, it's coming off slowly though.  I have cut sugar with him and found my tum is smaller.