One stone to lose in six weeks - Help!

Can anyone offer the best advice to lose a stone in a short period of time please? My dress alterations start in June and I just have that last stone to lose accept my weight loss has come to a stand still and has been the same for weeks!! Any help would be great thanks x

• nicki126nicki126 Posts: 248

This doesn't work for everyone, but just to give you an idea of my story!!

Back in 2012 I planned a big party for my 30th birthday.....in the September I realised that I was never going to feel confident for it and needed to do something.  I googled and found the Cambridge diet and met up with a consultant that week - I started September 2012 at 13 stone.  By my party at end of November 2012 I was 10 stone 9lbs.  I felt amazing.  

I didn't follow the plan through and obviously put the weight back on gradually! Then got pregnant in 2015 so am now the biggest I've ever been, but I made the decision to restart Cambridge last Tuesday and it's going well!  I hope to lose a couple of stone before I go and try dresses on in June!  

I am then going to combine it with healthy eating and exercise, as ultimately that's what we all need to keep in shape and feel good!  And that will be more sustainable long term!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! x

• I lost a stone in just under 6 weeks for my wedding and its definitely doable! I swam and ran on the treadmill 4 x a week and pretty much cut all sugar out of my diet. I still allowed myself a little treat at weekends otherwise I would of gone crazy. Good luck, you can do it, just got to be strict  and focus on how you want to look on your day! 

• HelenNHelenN Posts: 131 New bride

I guess it depends on your weight to begin with. I lost a stone in 4 weeks when I joined slimming world. I'm not one for exercise x

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

Very Low Calorie Diets work - they are extreme but they do work and you loose approx 1 stone in the first month. I think Cambridge that has been mentioned above is one of them but there are others such as Exante and Lighter Life. 

xxx

• I also used the Cambridge diet and lost 2st in 6 weeks- I was 15st 5 to start with, so how much you lose at a time does depend on your weight but if you follow it properly it works either way.

• Hi there, May I ask how you have managed your current weight loss? heres the thing....A lot depends on which methods you have used to get to where you are now. Some diets involve unhealthy calorie intake. When crash dieting, our bodie's metabolism slows down to adjust to how many calories it needs. I always advise training your mind and behaviour to eat healthy as opposed to dieting, that way your eating habits are sustainable and so the weight stays off with ease.  If you'd like to message me with an honest typical days food diary and weekly exercise regime, I can help you back on track :)....

love n luck, Annette x

message on here or [email protected]

• A stone in 6 weeks is doable, depending on your weight to begin with.

I'm a member of my local Slimming World group - I joined just before Christmas (silly me, I know!) and I've lost 1st 11lb to date. Unfortunately, things have slowed down now. My current weight is 9st 12.5lb and I want to be 9 stone for my wedding on 2nd June (I'm only 5ft 3). I've been trying their 'SP' plan, which is essentially a low-carb diet, and it's supposed to give much quicker results. If it encourages you, I lost half a stone in my first week. No crash-dieting involved, though I can't say I haven't been tempted as the wedding draws near.

Best of luck to you.

• Becky111Becky111 Posts: 222 New bride

Hi I'm a lifelong yoyo dieter. I diet for my holidays and the summer and generally 'fluff up' in winter (eat whatever I want). I usually fluctuate by a stone but this year I have at least two to lose thanks to a new medication :(

Anyway this is what I do...

Increase water intake -  at least two litres a day

Download myfitness pal - I eat at least 1500 calories a day. Do not eat less than 1200, it's just not worth it. You'll be miserable and more likely to cheat. 

Eat little and often - try eating 6 small meals (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack)

No carbs after lunch - unless you are in an very active job you wont need the energy. 

Fasted cardio in the morning - I do a 45 minute fast paced walk on a treadmill watching my fave show (6 days a week - have a quick google to find out what your optimum fat burning heart rate is)

ONE cheat meal a week.

Alcohol is the devil. It's much harder for your body to appropriately manage fat and carbs whilst its processing alcohol.

This is just what I do and it works for me every year. I'm currently about to start my 5th cycle. 10 weeks out from a holiday.

• Firstly I am sure you look amazing with or without the stone!!

My go to to lose weight is The Body Coach - I lost a lot of weight with that programme.  It's a tiny bit pricey (£98 for 12 weeks) but so worth it in my opinion :) !

• stacey147stacey147 Posts: 108 New bride

Eat less, move more and cut out sugar! 

• I agree with what bohobride0719 says - in the grand scheme of things, a stone is not a lot to lose, and I'm sure you will still look great on the day!

I've been trying to cut back on carbs as well - good advice there. I was told not more than one portion of pasta, rice, potatoes or bread a day, and only comprising a quarter of your plate - the other quarter being protein, and the other half veggies. If you're in an active job, I'd agree that lunchtime is the best time to do this, to avoid the dreaded afternoon slump!

Let us know how you get on, or come here if you just want to get anything off your chest, and I'm sure a lot of people will be there to listen. Dieting is not at all easy, and I too am guilty of yo-yoing (I was put on a new medication 4 years ago that really increased my weight, having never struggled with it before), but just remember that it's great that you're attempting to find something that works for you and you should be proud of yourself for trying - we're all human and have wobbles occasionally, but it often helps to look at the bigger picture.

• If it reassures you further, I've lost almost 2 stone (1 stone 13lb) since November last year, and it's probably only taken this long because Christmas was in the middle (I had a 5lb gain, due to indulging a bit too much)!

You can do it!

• I use MyFitnessPal to track what I'm eating and to measure my exercise through my FitBit - calorie control is the scientific and easy way to do it as you can still eat what you want, but you'll know what your limits are. 

I'm losing around 3lbs a week at the moment (end of Aug wedding) and everyone is saying that I'm slimming down quickly.

I am caning the exercise mind - I do a Bodycoach 20 minute HIIT from YouTube during my lunch break at work and then I go to the gym to do some cardio and some arm weights (sleeveless dress). You'll have to be disciplined but you can do it! x

• MrsThimboMrsThimbo Posts: 222

Another fan of the myfitnesspal app here! 

Willpower, water, exercise 3+ times a week and eat the right things! 

• MrsT2Be wrote (see post):

Another fan of the myfitnesspal app here! 

Willpower, water, exercise 3+ times a week and eat the right things! 

It's great isn't it - it's the only thing in the past that's ever helped me lose anything!x

• Hullass1972Hullass1972 Posts: 600 New bride

Another MFP advocate here, I lost 5 stone over 2 years by calorie counting and exercise. If your weight loss has come to a stand still you need to change what you're doing as your body gets comfortable. If you don't exercise then definitely pick up on that, if you already do, then change what you're doing. Don't forget that final stone can be an absolute bitch to lose so don't be too hard on yourself and maybe concentrate on inches rather than pounds.

• Kath2703Kath2703 Posts: 18
    Hullass1972 wrote (see post):

Another MFP advocate here, I lost 5 stone over 2 years by calorie counting and exercise. If your weight loss has come to a stand still you need to change what you're doing as your body gets comfortable. If you don't exercise then definitely pick up on that, if you already do, then change what you're doing. Don't forget that final stone can be an absolute bitch to lose so don't be too hard on yourself and maybe concentrate on inches rather than pounds.

Hi, can I ask how you used it? Like did you set your calorie goal and then stick to it? Did you weigh all your food out etc? Also did you use the full membership and therefore watched your protein/carbs etc intake? Sorry so many questions lol!x