My Fitness Pal

Hi ladies

Does anyone use My Fitness Pal for tracking food, exercise etc?

I've just started using it and I'm not finding it as easy as everyone else seems to.  Do you weigh everything you eat so you can put it in accurately as that seems a bit time consuming.

Also when you want to add exercise in it asks for you to select cardio or strength but when I do a HIIT workout for example that combines the two so tried to enter it under cardio but then it wanted me to enter how many calories I'd burnt but I'd no idea!

Any suggestions/tips on how to make this work successfully would be most appreciated!

Thanks

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,279 New bride

Hi 

I use it. I weigh everything such as meat, fish, carbs. It's not too hard once you get in the swing of it, and it makes you aware of exactly what you are eating. It has lots of things already in there eg you can chose the brand of bread and put in one slice without having to weigh. If you have tuna it will put the right value in if you choose the brand. 

I don't track exercise through the app because I have a fitbit and that records it automatically for me. Be aware that the MFP app massively overestimates the calories that you burn when you select their exercise, so be sure not to eat all of the allowance back. I'd really recommend getting a fitness tracker if you can. 

Good luck! 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • I lost 5 stone using MFP so am a massive advocate for it. It's a pain in the arse at first because you do need to weigh loose foods, however, it does store your past choices and by weighing foods you soon get to know your portion sizes so don't need to weigh regular meals anymore, just new foods.

The exercise is a little trickier, especially session like HIIT because they aren't so black and white as say running a 5k in a set time. Google to see roughly how many calories an average session burns but don't stress about it as the main thing is just ensuring all your foods are logged. I started with a Fitbit and now have a Garmin as I have concentrated on running and would totally recommend the fitness tracker route as it does it all for you.

Good luck!

• Ozzy2bOzzy2b Posts: 143

I use it, although I find for Exercise tracking it's not that effective. I have it linked to my Fitbit and track exercise there. Have a look at the app integrations as there are better tools for tracking exercise that My Fitness Pal will take data from.

For food, there is a bit of guesstimating going on -  although if I have anything with a barcode I scan it, and the search function is quite good if you are specific enough with it.  I do add in recipes sometimes for the stuff I cook to try and get an accurate read. I follow Slimming World principles so try to stick to set weights for things like cheese, porridge oats etc.

You could try weighing portions of what you eat regularly so you get an idea of how much your servings are and what that looks like? Once the app has one entry it defaults to that - so every time I add brown rice for lunch it defaults to my 50g serving. If I have more or less I just adjust the serving amount from there. It does get easier in time especially if you eat the same things regularly!

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

Thanks all.  I guess I just need to stick with it and I'm sure it will become easier.

I've also got a Garmin Hullass1972 as I do quite a bit of running but typically my first exercise I wanted to enter was a HIIT session - does your Garmin give you an accurate calorie burn when you run?

• Kelly224Hullass1972 wrote (see post):

Thanks all.  I guess I just need to stick with it and I'm sure it will become easier.

I've also got a Garmin Hullass1972 as I do quite a bit of running but typically my first exercise I wanted to enter was a HIIT session - does your Garmin give you an accurate calorie burn when you run?

I think it's hard to say as you never truly know how many calories you've burnt. I do know it isn't as generous as MFP or even Fitbit but that can only be a good thing because at least you aren't filling your face full of treats thinking you have the spare calories when you don't hahaha

• It is a pain to weigh everything in the beginning, but now it's like second nature.

I use kettlebells and log it under circuit training which might be an idea for HIIT, however as others have said, the calories seem to be over the top.

Feel free for anyone to add me (Timetogetstarted) as I'm trying to get to my best shape for my wedding in May 2019.

• I also find the barcode scanner helpful for getting the correct values for food. 

• Roman5Roman5 Posts: 4

Too so I think