WHY CAN'T I STOP EATING?

I am in wedding week. My wedding is THIS Saturday.

I am not over eating or going out for food or takeaways.

But if Someone offers me a biscuit or cake, whatever happens I CANNOT turn it down?

I've spent so many months struggling with diet, exercise and weight loss and even now with a few days to go my motivation or will power is NIL.

Why is this? How do some people have the will power? I LOVE salads and healthy food even vegan meals and I adore a massive fresh veg shop etc.

If I never saw another cake or packet of crisps or takeaway again I would never crave one or have one. Its just if its in front of me, I work in an office sitting sedentary all day and its always someone's Birthday or whatever with cakes galore. The girls I work with also eat rubbish EVERY day.

This isn't so much a wedding post as the wedding is nearly over and life will resume, when that happens -- How do I ensure I give myself the kick up the bum I should've done when wedding was originally booked?

The next stage will be progressing into starting my own family and I want to start it healthy, fit and confident.

• Becky111Becky111 Posts: 210 New bride

Oh yes I hear you. 

I am so annoyed at myself. It's been a year since we booked and I have nine months left now to lose two stone. I know it's possible but I can't seem to help myself. 

• OmRumOmRum Posts: 693 New bride

I understand you about the sweet treats - we have them ALL THE TIME at my job and I'm sure it's one of the main reasons I can't lose weight either. Whenever I've decided to stop partaking, I've only ever lasted a couple of days. When people freshly bake stuff, it almost feels rude not to try it! Sometimes I manage to only have a half portion, which is a good compromise. I've even tried taking in fruit or nut alternatives, but when there's cake it is so difficult to resist!

One thing that concerns me is the assumption that if someone books a wedding, they must be trying to lose weight. There is so much pressure on brides to lose weight nowadays. Yes, if you want to start a family then ideally you should be a healthy weight, but this assumption that bride-to-be = losing weight is another pressure we just don't need. During my wedding planning, my weight has been commented upon several times by people it is nothing to do with, and yet no one's suggested my fiance must lose weight! I've been bombarded with so many 'bride boot camp' adverts and articles about how to quickly lose weight, that it just makes me feel bad for not really trying to diet at all. I suppose that for some people the wedding is a good excuse to lose some extra pounds, but it makes it more difficult for those of us who struggle to lose weight.

I notice there is a dieting thread on this forum, though I've not really read it. Perhaps people like us could start a weight loss support thread? It sounds like one of your main concerns is being a healthy weight to start a family, and that is a big concern of mine too, so I would welcome any support and am happy to support back!

Anyway, I'm so excited for you getting married on Saturday! I hope this doesn't take up too much of your worry, and you have an absolutely fabulous week. X

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 829 New bride

I feel you. We got engaged in December, it's now October and I have lost no weight at all. We get married in August :/

I used to be anorexic so could easily resist food for days. Yet now I cannot stop stuffing my face with shit. I eat so much sweet stuff like Doughnuts and popcorn and cheese and cookies. 

We're poor so cheap snacks are filling but also unhealthy. I'd love to have a punnet of strawberries every time I want a snack but it's not feasible in our financial situation.

Also fiances parents pay for us all to have a take away once a week so I can't really turn down a day of free food :/ 

I never realised growing up how much being poor can affect your health.

• OmRum wrote (see post):

I understand you about the sweet treats - we have them ALL THE TIME at my job and I'm sure it's one of the main reasons I can't lose weight either. Whenever I've decided to stop partaking, I've only ever lasted a couple of days. When people freshly bake stuff, it almost feels rude not to try it! Sometimes I manage to only have a half portion, which is a good compromise. I've even tried taking in fruit or nut alternatives, but when there's cake it is so difficult to resist!

One thing that concerns me is the assumption that if someone books a wedding, they must be trying to lose weight. There is so much pressure on brides to lose weight nowadays. Yes, if you want to start a family then ideally you should be a healthy weight, but this assumption that bride-to-be = losing weight is another pressure we just don't need. During my wedding planning, my weight has been commented upon several times by people it is nothing to do with, and yet no one's suggested my fiance must lose weight! I've been bombarded with so many 'bride boot camp' adverts and articles about how to quickly lose weight, that it just makes me feel bad for not really trying to diet at all. I suppose that for some people the wedding is a good excuse to lose some extra pounds, but it makes it more difficult for those of us who struggle to lose weight.

I notice there is a dieting thread on this forum, though I've not really read it. Perhaps people like us could start a weight loss support thread? It sounds like one of your main concerns is being a healthy weight to start a family, and that is a big concern of mine too, so I would welcome any support and am happy to support back!

Anyway, I'm so excited for you getting married on Saturday! I hope this doesn't take up too much of your worry, and you have an absolutely fabulous week. X

Yes OmRum -- now I have not achieved the weight loss I wanted for wedding, I have kind of let that go and feel excited for Saturday and I know I will look amazing no matter what weight I am. You are right also about the assumptions, I may be happy with my weight and so why should anyone else comment, unless its your partner or a close family member who is concerned about maybe a sudden weight gain or loss no one else has the right to comment!!

But yes starting a family and being physically fit and a healthy weight Is soooo important for me. I haven't found a decent weight loss / lifestyle forum for me to use once wedding is over and I have no excuse to be on here. xxx

• Awhelenqt wrote (see post):

I feel you. We got engaged in December, it's now October and I have lost no weight at all. We get married in August :/

I used to be anorexic so could easily resist food for days. Yet now I cannot stop stuffing my face with shit. I eat so much sweet stuff like Doughnuts and popcorn and cheese and cookies. 

We're poor so cheap snacks are filling but also unhealthy. I'd love to have a punnet of strawberries every time I want a snack but it's not feasible in our financial situation.

Also fiances parents pay for us all to have a take away once a week so I can't really turn down a day of free food :/ 

I never realised growing up how much being poor can affect your health.

I know I am in the same situation with money. When I do my weekly shop I feel great I have bought loads of lean meat, fish veg and planned my meals , but its the little top up shops I cant afford for more fresh salad and fruit etc.

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

Ive struggled with my weight all of my life really and for me I know I don’t want to look back on the wedding like I have so many other special events and wish I’d tried that bit harder. But it’s difficult. Life gets in the way and I hate being the one sat there with a soda water and salad when everyone else is enjoying wine and good food! If I feel anxious or down I turn to food too although I am trying to find new ways if dealing with that. It’s definitely made harder by wedding pressure although I am trying to forget that as I’m sure it makes me want to eat more!!

On the budget side of things - frozen veg is a life saver! Its so cheap and means you only use what you need. Plus in the winter when it’s all being thrown in casseroles or warm meals you really can’t taste the difference. I find even doing one batch cook a week helps as it stops me from reaching for something quick and unhealthy for dinner and again reduces waste. Even some frozen fruits are ok once defrosted And mixed with something else. Healthy eating can be expensive but I find buying seasonal fruit and frozen veg has made a big difference to how much I was spending.

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Its so hard when there is tempting food in the workplace, Im glad I work will men so not bakers thankfully. Can you ask them not to offer to you or would you feel abit of a grump doing that? or maybe as someone else said take half a portion, at home you have more control and if you don't buy rubbish into the house you will have actually go out to get it and might not bother? I agree it is hard to eat healthily on a budget. the frozen veg was a good suggestion, also lots of pasta and rice to bulk meals out.

• Zara29Zara29 Posts: 105

Personally I don't find it that hard to eat healthily on a budget, a whole roast chicken is no more than £4, that will last you for days, bash in some cheap veg (a broccoli head is 50p and lasts for a good few meals) and a bit of carbs (although not much as it's the least nutritionally valuable part of the meal) such as brown rice or potatoes and you can eat healthily for daaaaaaaays!!!

A takeaway or pre-packaged meal is deffo going to cost more per serving.

• When I worked in the office I used to find the same thing would happen to me. After going vegan however it's amazing how much junk food I find myself refusing, and I feel so much better for it! I realise it's not something that everyone can just do, but it's cheap and healthy, better for animals and the environment etc. My weight is healthy and stable for the first time in my life, I can see no downsides. Hope you manage to find something that works for you :)