2020 wedding trying to loose weight

Hi All, 

I'm new here and have very much enjoyed reading all your planning threads and seeing what a wonderful variety of things people do to celebrate their wedding.

I'm getting married on 12th September 2020 (6 months on Thursday!) and i'm sure like many of you I want to try and lose a few more pounds to look my best on my big day.

I ordered my dress in December and had to accept the lunacy that is wedding dress sizing and order a size 22 🙈, I normally wear a high street 16-18 am 5'5 and currently weigh 14st 11.5lbs. I already knew that I would need alterations when I ordered my dress so decided that I would try and lose some weight before my dress arrives (due end of May/start of June) and then once I have a fitting I will have to maintain from there. The place I have ordered my dress from have said that it can be altered down a max of 3 dress sizes, I would love to do that but realistically it will be 1 or 2 less.

So since the start of January I have lost 6.5lbs initially in 6 weeks so we pretty happy but for the last 3 weeks I have well and truly plateaued and am stuck with the same 6.5lbs in 9 weeks. My Fiance and I have been doing the healthy eating together and I am using My Fitness Pal to track my food, I have an exercise bike at home but have not been very good at using it and weather permitting I try and take my dog on a long walk each lunch time (im lucky to work based on a farm and can have my fur baby with me).

I'm trying to tell myself that I'm doing the right things food wise, I've not been cheating (even though there is a mars bar sitting in my desk draw!) so I'm a little frustrated to have got stuck at my current weight.

I'm thinking that I just need to keep what I am doing with my food and majorly up the exercise.

I was wondering if any of you have any tips, tricks or general help that can help me reach my goal in the next 3 months? Or am I mad, my dress will definitely fit as i have the original measurements and i have lost a couple of inches from those and should i just accept that this is what i will look like on my wedding day?

• Hullass1972Hullass1972 Posts: 606 New bride
    What is your calorie intake set at? I used MFP when I lost my weight and it was set at 1200 calories a day which meant I was losing regularly. Upping the exercise is probably the next step. I discovered running and have found it a fantastic way to lose the weight, along with kettle bells and strengthening sessions at the gym, although these can also be done at home. I lost 5 stone in 2 years starting in 2015, dropping from a size 20 to a regular 10/12 depending on what I'm wearing and have maintained that since. I'm a weird bride who lost my weight after my wedding!!

• Hullass1972  wow thats a fantastic achievement.

My calories are set at 1500 per day and im averaging 1400 at the moment. I really dont feel that i can cut down much more without feeling totally deprived!

I hate exercise but I know I just have to get on with it, it would be good to find something that I can get my teeth into, just dont want to spend a fortune on the gym in the run up to the wedding
  • OmRumOmRum Posts: 933 New bride
    Well done on the weight loss so far, MrsE2be2020. I know how frustrating it is when you feel like you're getting somewhere and then plateau! It's great that you and your husband-to-be are in it together, as the support must help a lot!

When I was losing weight I used to go to the gym or exercise classes minimum twice a week, plus a lot of walking (I don't drive). But what I found helped the most was mixing up the exercise, so sometimes I would weight train, sometimes swim, sometimes go for a run, but the classes I really loved were yoga and Zumba. It's worth checking out local classes, because sometimes they let you have the first one for free, so you can get a lot of free exercise, and hopefully find something you love (or rule out certain things - I did a free boot camp thing and I HATED it, but at least I gave it a go!).
  • @OmRum thank you, I was really pleased with progress to start with but I alway seem to get ‘stuck’ and plateau for ages!

thats a really good idea looking out for freebies! My H2B wants to rejoin a gym so maybe we can get some passes to try a few out. He is being amazing, my absolute rock and best friend, I have tried to loose weight before when I was in a previous relationship and my ex didn’t want to help so having F right by my side is such a blessing
  • Pisces91Pisces91 Posts: 211 New bride
    I've found taking other measurements can be helpful? 

Sometimes when you're exercising, it plateaus because muscle weighs more than fat! I've been measuring my waist and hips also and some weeks, even when I haven't lost weight on the scales, I've got smaller there so I wonder if it's just toning things up. It's encouraging anyway! 
  • Well something obviously went right last week, after 6 weeks of plateau (half a pound up and down again through the week but ending up the same overall) I managed to lose 2.5lbs this week  :)