Running...

We were having a discussion at work yesterday about gyms and exercise etc. Someone said running wasn't a good form of exercise to do when trying to lose weight. I couldn't get him to explain it but he said cycling or rowing machine was better. I thought that was ridiculous, surely running's a fab fat burner? Am i wrong? or is he?!

• pantaloonpantaloon Posts: 2,348
    well theoretically they are as good as each other. Running uses all your major muscles in your body and burns roughly 10 calories per minute for the average female. So if you can sustain this for a longer period of time then running is best.

Rowing is slightly better for you calorie burn wise but there are not many that can sit and row for 45 mins!! - I for one know this from experience and its hard on the butt.

Cycling is the lowest on the list as its weight bearing - ie the bike takes the brunt. Now if you train like Lance Armstrong then maybe im wrong but in the real world stick to running if you enjoy it.

I wouldn't even bother arguing with the bloke in the office - men are always right - LOL !!