When to order dress....?

I have about 4 stone to lose between now and July 08....the biggest worry I have is when I should order my dress. Options as I see them:

(1) Order now in my current size...but if I manage to lose 4 stone the dress might be spoilt by massive alterations

(2) Order now in a smaller size...but if I don't lose weight it will be a disaster (I have actually been married before & chose this option - ended up having to buy a different dress 3 weeks before the wedding as I put on weight instead of losing it - oh dear!)

(3) Wait until I've lost a couple of stone and then order a dress....but in which size, refer to options 1 & 2 above

(4) Wait until I've lost all/most of the weight, but this is likely to be quite close to the wedding with all the problems of rush orders

(5) Wiring up my jaw and living only on cabbage soup for the next 7 months....well, maybe not!

So I'd like to know which options other brides to be have gone for....and does anyone regret the decision they made, or is really happy with their decision....what worked for you?

• Hi Imaginary Annie

I have exactly the same problem as you!

I am getting married in August 08 and I have 3 stone to lose. I started dress shopping yesterday and got the same advice from each shop. They said that I should see how much weight I lose between now and end of January (probably none). I should then go back, try on the dress then order it in then size and have alterations later. However, I have decided to risk it and order the dress in a size 14 as an incentive to get in it. I thought that having 3 slim bridesmaids would give me the motivation I needed to get started but I just cant stop munching.

Let me know what you decide.

Lucky Girl
  • I have the same dilemma. I need to loose about 3 stones for my wedding in Dec 08 which seems ages away but I really want to try on dresses and order mine. I dabble with a diet called 'The Cambridge Diet' which is a really radical diet but also harsh and difficult. I have lost a total of 3 stones on it...and it is possible to loose a lot...quickly... but it's expensive and the most boring diet in the world. But it works. Google the diet to read more ans speak to a local counsellor. It's the only diet I can really do. The results are drastic so keep you motivated. But life is seriously dull whilst you are on it!!! I won't be on it over christmas!!!

xxx
  • I'm in the same situation too, getting married in Oct 2008 and really don't want to leave the dress shopping too late. At the same time, I want to lose weight before I even start shopping for the dress or I know I'll feel rubbish when I'm trying them on!
  • I know exactly what you mean missy-ellie - plus everyone says wedding dress sizes are smaller than usual, so having to try on an even bigger size (if they even have them in my current size) is just too depressing to think about. Not that any of this stopped me stuffing my face yesterday, obviously!
  • Quoted:
    I'm in the same situation too, getting married in Oct 2008 and really don't want to leave the dress shopping too late. At the same time, I want to lose weight before I even start shopping for the dress or I know I'll feel rubbish when I'm trying them on!

Me too!

I get married in October and I have set a date to go dress shopping 12th January but I am worried it won't be the best experience because I don't feel happy or confident about my size at the moment.

I have told myself that I need to be super strict with myself after Christmas (starting tomorrow) I am joining the gym and am actually going to go. I managed to lose weight a long time ago (in my teens) and I know I cam do it again I just need to get my motivation back.
  • Quoted:

Me too!

I get married in October and I have set a date to go dress shopping 12th January but I am worried it won't be the best experience because I don't feel happy or confident about my size at the moment.

I have told myself that I need to be super strict with myself after Christmas (starting tomorrow) I am joining the gym and am actually going to go. I managed to lose weight a long time ago (in my teens) and I know I cam do it again I just need to get my motivation back.

Same here, I'm so annoyed with myself for not forcing myself to lose a bit of weight before now, we've been engaged about 6 weeks so I'm thinking I should have started going to the gym from then! Have not pigged out too much this Christmas, I feel like if I at least lose a couple of pounds then I'm heading in the right direction and will feel better about dress shopping!
  • I have lost a stone and a half since I ordered my dress in July I didnt expect to loose that amount as Id already lost 3 stone when I went to try dresses on I have to say I am now slightly worried how my dress will look when it comes in and wish I had ordered it a size smaller than I did.
  • I'm getting married in October too, and am going to try on dresses next Wednesday. I've been told I can lose 4 stone by the lady at the gym (please may it be true!) so haven't a clue about sizes. I also didn't realise that wedding dress sizes were any different to normal...

I think I'll try some dresses, write down ones that I like and go back again at Easter (hopefull I'll have lost some by then and will be able to judge if I can lose any more!)

Good luck with your decision. x
  • katel...congratulations on your fantastic weight loss! What's your secret?

maybe you can let us know how it goes when you go for your fitting? I'm sure they will be able to alter you dress so it fits beautifully.
  • Thanks imaginaryannie

No secret really its taken me about 18 months to loose four and half stone which Im hoping is a good thing as in the past I have been such a yo yo dieter! In the early days I did go to the gym a lot however I have to admit in the last couple of months I havent been and I have been able to maintain my weight loss. The main change to my diet is that I dont eat carbohydrates I eat loads of vegetables and I eat all meats and fish but I dont eat things like bread, potatoes and pasta Ive found it works wonders although I know some would say its unhealthy! But I just feel people need to find what works for them and this works for me!