Help with losing weight.........

Hi guys - I live for calorie counting and wanted to share it may help someone out there! x

There is literally a scientific calculation for losing weight. Every 1lb of fat = 3,500 calories. So lose 3,500 calories out of your diet and you lose 1lb.

For example to maintain my current weight I need to eat approx 2,000 calories per day (some people less some more) so if I want to lose 2lbs per week I need a daily deficite of 1,000 calories. The days I go to the gym I wear a heart rate monitor that tells me how many calories I have burned so these days if I burn 400-500 cals I eat about 1,500 cals so I still have a 1,000 deficite. The days I don't go to the gym I stick at around 1,000 cals.

May seem long winded but really works for me. Basically if you cut 3,500 calories from your diet in any 1 week you will lose 1lb.

Hope this helps someone

Good luck to everyone wwanting to lose weight for their big day.

Paula xx

• ellybeeellybee Posts: 1,381
    that's cool, thanks zebedee.

I always like to watch how many calories are being burnt on the machines at the gym and I now have some framework for what those figures actually mean!

I usually burn 450 cals per gym trip so that's nearly half a pound just from that each week if I go 3 times. So if I cut 450-ish cals off each days meals that would make my pound a week - genius!

I love figures and making the diet and weight loss scientific rather than emotional!

Many thanks image
  • saf28saf28 Posts: 645
    Woah... there's NO way you should be eating just 1000 cals per day. THAT is the base number of calories that your body needs to live. I've never had to diet, so tell me to shove off if you like, but I do know a bit about nutrition and weight loss through the sport that I participate in, which has weight limits.

The calculation of 3500 cals = 1lb in weight is CORRECT... BUT you shouldn't really aim to lose more than 1lb per week (which is a daily deficit of 500cals). If you eat too few calories then your body will go into 'starvation mode' and basically cling onto anything bad that you eat - i.e. any fat in the food with be taken up by your body straight away, and you'll struggle to lose the weight at all.

Also (having been restricted to 1500 cals for a few days once) 1000cals isn't very much food at all. If you're seriously sticking to this, I can't believe that you'd be anything other than miserable and hungry. Its best to keep weight loss slow and steady, than losing huge amounts for a few weeks and then putting it all back on again.

Sarahx
    I thought that was the basic principle behind losing weight? That you consume fewer calories than your body needs to live on so it takes the rest from your fat stores?
  • Seraaahhhh - thanks for the concern but I have had this cleared by the doctor. The only time I stick to 1,000-1,100 cals are 2 days a week when I don't go to the gym and sit at my desk all day doing nothing.

2lbs per week weight loss is a heathly amount of weight to lose. I eat so many leafy veg, salads, pulses, fibre, protein and carbs etc... I am never hungry and are certainly not miserable. image see...........

P.S - I have the metabolism of a slug!

Paula
    Zebedee: if you've spoken to your GP then thats cool, I'm just concerned that others acting on this advice might not have done.

elly.bee: yes that is the principle, but 1000cals is what your body consumes not doing anything - ie. staying in bed all day, not moving, and there is a thing called 'starvation mode' as I mentioned before that your body might start to go into if you don't have enough calories.

I was led to understand (by a nutritionist who works with the GB rowing squad) that you can't physically lose more than 1lb (0.5kg) of stored bodyfat per week - any more than that and you'd be losing glycogen (which is the energy stored in your muscles) and water, which can have the consequence of weakening yourself both physically and immune system-wise.

Anyway, good luck with the weight loss image

Sarah

Oh I'm with you now Sarah, that makes sense when you put it like that. Thanks for the advice.
  • Just thought I'd add my tuppence worth on this. I have had many years of dieting and this is purely my experience, and not based at all on science!!

I have tried eating very little of a calorific value, at times dropping to around 600 calories per day I was so desperate. My body did go into the 'starvation mode' that Sarah referred to. I did not lose weight throught this but I did through the various illnesses that I encountered because my body was not strong enough to fight them. Without wanting to be overly dramatic it got pretty serious.

I would say before embarking on this sort of diet make sure you check with your doctor and get their approval first. I wouldn't want anyone to end up how I did.

Corinna x
  • Hi Seraaahhh

I used to row too, which club are you at?

I too was told about the "starvation mode" thing, but I was also told that you should not reduce what you eat by more then 15%, alongside not going below 1000 Kcals. I think that should be the important thing here for everyone, especially those whose current intake may be more then other people.

When I stopped rowing I found changing my diet the hardest thing. After 10 years of eating whatever I liked (was a heavyweight), I found I could just smell ice-cream and would put on a lb! Because of my lack of will power and a silly refusal to believe that I had to reduce the things I wanted, I put on far too many pounds. It is a common thing I have seen amongst people I remember from the rowing scene, I'm not excusing it though.

I like the idea about keeping an allowance of calories in mind. It is one of those things that we all know, but often forget.

Good luck all

Kittycat

• I used to row as well (only for fun rather than professionally, at Fowey). LOL, seems to be a theme running here, and I also found I put on a lot of weight when I stopped.

I think the moral of this thread has to be to check with a doctor or nutritionalist before embarking on a calorie controlled diet so that you make sure you are still giving your body what it needs and cutting out what it doesn't.

Corinna x
    Ok, so now we've totally taken over the thread - boaties, huh!?

The past two years I've rowed for Cambridge University Lightweight Women (the latter of which I was captain) which involved some pretty heavy training schedules, so now I'm enjoying the fact that I no longer need to get up to catch the 05.59 train to Ely, and am taking a bit of a break.

Its difficult though because the 6 months before I first rowed lightweights I was learning to scull, and doing a similarly high volume of training, so now after 2 1/2 years I'm feeling really unfit by not doing much! I'm going sculling from my college boat club a few times a week (I say that, though I've not actually been out for 3 weeks!) and trying to do a bit of running too.. to fight the impending loss of body tone!

What about you?

Sarahx

PS: I'm soooooo happy that I've just realised that the ranks have been fixed and I'm back to being a wedding addict! :\)

[Modified by: Seraaahhhh on November 08, 2006 08:36 PM]

[Modified by: Seraaahhhh on November 08, 2006 08:36 PM]

[Modified by: Seraaahhhh on November 08, 2006 08:37 PM]
  • Hi

Sorry for not coming back, was busy with work.

Glad you pointed that out, I am now a newbride2B, I feel better, as I would hope I only get to bridezilla next year!

So glad there are boaties here!! shall we ask for a new thread for people who used to do obscene amounts of training??

Sounds great rowing for the lightweight women. I knew someone who rowed for them some years ago, Flos Townend, must have been a good 9 years ago though!

I rowed for Eton Excelsior RC for almost 10 years, and was president of the Uni of Essex RC. However I stopped rowing two years ago, when a number of factors (hand psorisis,(no ability to keep caluses), having to start again with a new crew, move of job to London, wish to discover what else you could do with weekends.....etc). Sold my boat then, but when I drive over the river and I see the mist just hanging there, or when it is a perfectly still and bright day, I really miss it!!

Good luck with holding that muscle tone! I think mine is well and truly gone, so am building it anew.

Do you both find that even though you feel unfit, your basic fitness level is still loads higher then others? I can still lift weights, cycle for a couple of hour and swim 60lengths, and I put on 2 stone since stopping!

Kitty

Ah, a quick bit of internet stalking reveals that she rowed at bow in the Lwt VIII in '97!! (I think!)

Yes I know what you mean about still being able to do things... I kept a friend company while she did a rate capped 5k on the erg the other week and I surprised myself how fast I was able to go... I think its more about being able to know mentally that you can keep pushing yourself even though it hurts a ridiculous amount! I fell off the ergo in a heap afterwards though and she was walking about - obviously wasn't trying hard enough image

Sarah

x

• If she could walk afterwards, def was not working hard enough!

I think your right, it is a mental thing. I remember my coach telling me Exhaustion was only a state of mind and to get over it!..have to admit I told people I used to coach that too.

Oh well, I'm back to everyday training now....well 1hr walks and 30min swims alternatively...at least it is something! Will join gym next week.

Kitty