The Orangery MArgam Park

Anybody else getting married there??

We booked it cuz we really liked the venue, but now im getting worried we only have around 75 guests and it will look really empty image

• feejeelfeejeel Posts: 53 New bride
    Im getting married at the Orangery! I am so glad to find someone else who is. Its a stunning venue. We originally wanted somewhere with accomodation on site, but loved the orangery so much we had to compromise.

I think 75 will be a good number. We are about that for the day and a few more at night. When i went to visit there was about 60 people attending a wedding and the room was laid out nicely. There was a bit of a gap at the far end, but I thought it would actually work out quite well as the bar is up that end so you could put a few tables down there which were more relaxed than the reception dining bit.

My concern is that when the music starts later in the evening, theres no where for the oldies to escape to.
  • 5ftbride5ftbride Posts: 120
    Hi Ladies

My friend married at Margam Orangery and it was lovely.

It certainly won't look empty with 75 guests. Once the tables are all set out and dressed it is transformed.

It was a lovely venue and a lot of people stood outside in the evening.

The only downside was the bar. It is very small and they only had one man serving, who wasn't the most helpful of chaps.

Aside from that, it is a stunning venue.
  • EKASEKAS Posts: 87
    Hi, is there website with wedding information for the Orangery, I have searcged but cant seem to find anything? Mnay thanks, Emma
  • LydiaB2808LydiaB2808 Posts: 389
    Hi EKAS. As far as am aware they dont have their own website as it is part of the County, so you would have to go via Neath Port Talbot council website.
  • NatandLukeNatandLuke Posts: 25
    I'm getting married in the Orangery May 21st next year. I have quite a few guests coming from cardiff and London so they'll need accommodation - any good suggestions that aren't too far away?
  • talkharduktalkharduk Posts: 10
    I'm also having my reception in Margam Orangery girls. 75 guests will look perfectly fine- I've known much smaller parties to have their reception there. We're having the minimum of 60 guests.

Back to your query Natalie- I'm a local girl also and I can recommend Blancos Hotel which is located max. of 10 minutes away in Port Talbot.

Twelve Knights (google SA Brains pubs) is basic but around 10 mins away also.

If you're looking for more 4* or 5* then there is The BlueBell in Neath, around 20 minutes away or Morgans Hotel in Swansea, around 20/30 minutes away depending on traffic.

Hope this is helpful x

If people want cheap hotel there is a Travellodge in Baglan next to the Bagle Brook. Although the Bagle Brook is closed at the moment, so not entirely sure if it is open.

Another option for hotel is Aberavon Beach Hotel (its a Best Western), located on the beach, staff are lovely.
    If people want cheap hotel there is a Travellodge in Baglan next to the Bagle Brook. Although the Bagle Brook is closed at the moment, so not entirely sure if it is open.

Another option for hotel is Aberavon Beach Hotel (its a Best Western), located on the beach, staff are lovely.

• feejeelfeejeel Posts: 53 New bride
    Thanks for the hotel info - i actually went to look at the hotels recently, but got a bit down about it as Blanco's looked perfect on their website, but as we turned into a industrial estate i thought the signs must be wrong, but they werent. My OH was really concerned about leaving his car there, as the bit you drive through looks as though it is disused and doesnt look that great an area. Do any of you locals know what its like? Were not from the area, so don't know whether we are worried about nothing and the cars/guests would be perfectly safe? Thanks

• talkharduktalkharduk Posts: 10
    Hi Feejee,

I'm local to the area and I wouldn't worry at all about leaving your car there. The hotel is very enclosed and there is no passing trade which makes it much more secure in itself. You wouldn't access that area unless you were visiting some of the businesses that operate there and thats only in the day. The businesses are mostly building trade.

Its a very popular hotel. And once you get inside, the hotel is great.

Good luck with it all,

Best wishes.
    I agree with Fork. Am local as well and always see plenty of cars around there. It is apparently lovely in there. (Ive not ever been in there since it been refurbished, but hear its lovely for food etc...)

If you want a little further afield, there is the Towers Hotel which is Jersey Marine (about 15 mins by motorway to the Orangery). That is nice... They have a website as well, if you type Towers Hotel and Spa into google, it should come up.
    Unfortunately we had a horrendous experience trying to book our honeymoon night in the towers, they are the rudest people ever! And rooms are definitely not worth £250. So I think we'll try Morgans for us now.

Is anyone else getting married there next year? I love love love the venue but have been worried all along that the people arent very helpful - too late now though, its booked! image They don't do tastings and I've never even seen a pic of the standard of the food and when you're spending over £50 a head on food, that really frustrates me. Has anyone else attended a wedding there?
  • ankzishereankzishere Posts: 119
    Hello Nat & Luke!

We arranged a deal with the Marriot in Swansea Marina and we're just putting a coach on to pick up guests and drop them back off. If anybody needs to leave early, they can book a cab with the staff (so I've been told!). It was the only hotel we could find in Swansea with free parking. And we're planning on going on to a nightclub after so Swansea was our best bet!

I agree that the Orangery staff are not as helpfull as private venues ones. I had to proper battle with them to get them to allow us to have a bouncy castle and bacon butties for buffet instead of canapes!

But when we met them in person they were lovely and really good. Personally, I think that at the end of the day you are dealing with council staff not that concerned in making a profit?

I am a bit worried what the food will be like and we are paying £47 per head. But I guess I can tell you in a few weeks if it was nice as the wedding is only 4 weeks away!
  • feejeelifefeejeelife Posts: 79
    Ankzishere - I definitely look forward to hearing how your day went, food, etc and any of your throughts on the orangery from your wedding day - in just a few weeks. You must be very excited now!

Nat and Luke - I discovered that in July the Orangery are putting on a couple of events for the Margam Festival. We are going to the opera evening in the Orangery, as they are doing a 4 course meal and we really wanted to try the food out before our wedding. We stopped by the orangery a few weeks ago and there was a wedding on, and I have to say the food smelt absolutely lovely. Hoping this opera evening thing will give us a good idea what menu items to go for.
    Oh good luck for the wedding! 4 weeks eh?! You must be stressed! image Let me know what the food was like! I'm glad to hear they do eventually give in and let you have what you want - we are paying them after all! x
    feejeelife, that sounds like a really good idea! I'd love to experience what the place is like when an event is on. let me know how it goes, have fun! x
    What idea's have you got to decorate the Orangery, and how are you keeping your guests entertained?

I dont really know what to do with such a huge place. I was pleased when i saw that another wedding there had tea-lights, so i can involve some candles as table decorations.

So i went to the Orangery for the Margam classical opera evening this week. Im really impressed with the orangery and all the staff there. If the service and food is equal to that which we experienced on Thursday then our weddings at the Orangery will be amazing. I am really excited now. On Thursday they had decked the tables and chairs out with chair covers and simple centrepieces, a champagne reception, and a 4 course meal. It was fantastic. We had the deep fried camembert for starter, the Welsh leg of lamb with rosemary for main, and little individual round rasberry cheesecakes for dessert, followed by cheese platters and coffee and welshcakes. The food was really good - its not haute cuisine, but it is good tasty food and you plenty.

The dance floor is absolutely massive too! I really really can't wait to get married there now!
  • Oo great, glad the food was lovely! Not that I'll be eating any on the day, no room in my dress!! image