Inexpensive alternatives to wedding car?

I don't want a "wedding car", or more to the point, I don't want to pay for one! All I need is the journey from my mum's in Caerphilly to my wedding venue. No one will see me arrive and I think it would be a massive waste of money.

That said, I'd like something a bit nicer than a minicab. I don't really care what it is, although I don't like limos and am unreasonably prejudiced against BMWs. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• DreameramaDreamerama Posts: 52
    Any friends/relatives with decent cars? I'm using my sister's Jag and my H2Bs friends' Audi.
  • DreameramaDreamerama Posts: 52
    Saying that my next door neighbour took his workmates bride to the church today in his mondeo - he'd scrubbed it immaculate and put the ribbon on the front and the flowers on the back seat and it looked fab! As long as its not a car you normally ride in then it will still feel special I'm sure!!
  • PeasnCarrotsPeasnCarrots Posts: 1,831
    I was going to suggest a black cab - ask the taxi driver to stick a suit on and put ribbon on his car! I think this is what we'll do.

Or like the other B2B said, ask friends with nice cars image

• walk image
  • I'm going in my Dad's car, looks good with all the ribbon on. My venue is about 5 mins away from home so I really didn't want to waste the money.

My uncle is going to drive and pick up H2B and best man/usher first, then come for us.
  • Miss_PenguinMiss_Penguin Posts: 1,021
    There are nice cars within the family (which are washed obsessively) but it's not really practical as I don't want them left at the venue. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Not sure where I'd get a black cab but will have a look.
  • hannahheartshannahhearts Posts: 620
    I'm not bothered about a wedding car either - and also looking for something alternative to arrive in.

I thought about a tractor...

Going to have to ring round taxi companies and find a 'nice' car. Could you do that miss penguin?

I'd love a black cab if anyone knows where I can find one in North Wales? Would be perfect actually...

Sorry for hijacking miss penguin!
    A tractor would be so fun, that's what Cerys Matthews did. Sadly I have to do about 20 miles of motorway so not an option! I will ring round taxi firms.
  • Hi! yeh I am having same prob. Am having a bit of horsey theme so did look at horse and carriage but nearly keeled over at the price. £850 to take me 3 or 4 miles! (my venues further away from reception than that but windy country road means they'd have to pack it up, drive most of it then unpack and ride up the last bit of road to marquee!!)

Me n h2b dont really like "old, traditional" wedding cars and did consider the tractor but then thought it wouldnt b practical coz its guarenteed to rain in Pembrokeshire!!

Thought of maybe looking into "novelty" type cars. I know they have though VW "hippy" type vans and sporty looking things etc about 4 weddings but not sure of cost.

so i really dont know and I'd be glad of any suggestions too lol. Sorry not much help but i thought id let u no ur not alone!! Hope it works out.
  • cripes I know a contact with 2 welsh grey ponies who would charge you much less than that! Try Kates Carriages, lovely people to deal with.

http://www.katesweddingcarriages.co.uk/
  • I'm looking for a black cab too but I'm in South Wales. They're really popular wedding cars in england but no one in Wales seems to do it. If anyone knows of any companies who would do this I'd be super grateful to know.

Thanks ladies x
  • I'm getting married in a car museum, so all the beautiful cars will be inside and nobody will see me arrive.

I think wedding cars will be a waste of money, so my dad will be driving myself, my sister and 5 bridesmaid to the venue in a posh minibus! I know it's not the traditional done thing, but that's me - I know I'll be nervous so we're planning a bit of a singsong on the way to stop me from crying. I'm really looking forward to it!!

In the end, I booked with http://www.capitalchauffeurs.co.uk/Chauffeurs-Cardiff.shtml and was really pleased with them. They were very competitvely priced. We had a new clean Mercedes people carrier which had plenty of room for me, mum, dad and sister. We sat opposite each other (rather than all facing the front) so were able to chat during the journey. Our driver was friendly and very professional so I would recommend the company.
  • I think I'd like a push bike, well one of those taxi bike things because I am litteraly about a mile and a half from my venue, although if it rains that would be a massive nightmare, but I have no idea where to find one, any thoughts ladies?

• Samantha265Samantha265 Posts: 299 New bride
    Yet more spam on a dino thread. Reported