Ceremony readings

Hiya Looking for suggestions for non religious readings in either welsh or English getting a bit stuck and ideas running low Ta xxx

• We had 'I Love You Much (Most Beautiful Darling) by EE Cummings at ours. 

http://loveandliterature.tumblr.com/post/22449360653/i-love-you-much-most-beautiful-darling-more

I've also read 'I Carry Your Heart (I Carry it in My Heart)' by EE Cummings at another wedding.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/179622

It was pretty difficult to find readings that we liked that weren't *too* soppy or out of context! image Good luck with it.

• LilygirlLilygirl Posts: 429

We are having Dr Seuss, The Places You WIll Go (short version) an something fairly sweet and funny, which is officially called If a Dog Were Your Partner, but we are phrasing it so it comes from our dog, so if you have a pet it could be an option...

If a dog were your partner, this is what you'd learn...
    • When the person you love comes home, always run to meet them
    • Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your hair to be pure joy
    • When it's in your best interest, do what you are asked
    • Stretch before you get up in the morning and take lots of naps during the day
    • Every day, run and have fun, and play with each other
    • Thrive on attention, and let the person you love touch you
    • Don't over-react to things you don't like; avoid biting, when a simple growl will do
    • On warm days, lie together on the grass
    • On hot days drink lots of water and sit together under a shady tree
    • When you're happy, dance around, and wag your entire body
    • When things go wrong, don't pout and sulk - run right back and make friends again
    • Delight in the simple joy of a long walk
    • Eat with enthusiasm and stop when you've had enough
    • Be loyal
    • Never pretend to be something you're not
    • If what you want in life is hidden and buried, dig until you find it
    And MOST of all
    • When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and offer a gentle nuzzle

• MrsJCMrsJC Posts: 2,204

We are having A Lovely Love Story by Edward Monckton:

The fierce Dinosaur was trapped inside his cage of ice. Although it was cold he was happy in there. It was, after all, his cage.

Then along came the Lovely Other Dinosaur. The Lovely Other Dinosaur melted the Dinosaur’s cage with kind words and loving thoughts.

I like this Dinosaur thought the Lovely Other Dinosaur. Although he is fierce he is also tender and he is funny. He is also quite clever though I will not tell him this for now.

I like this Lovely Other Dinosaur, thought the Dinosaur. She is beautiful and she is different and she smells so nice. She is also a free spirit which is a quality I much admire in a dinosaur.

But he can be so distant and so peculiar at times, thought the Lovely Other Dinosaur. He is also overly fond of things. Are all Dinosaurs so overly fond of things?

But her mind skips from here to there so quickly thought the Dinosaur. She is also uncommonly keen on shopping. Are all Lovely Other Dinosaurs so uncommonly keen on shopping?

I will forgive his peculiarity and his concern for things, thought the Lovely Other Dinosaur. For they are part of what makes him a richly charactered individual.

I will forgive her skipping mind and her fondness for shopping, thought the Dinosaur. For she fills our life with beautiful thoughts and wonderful surprises. Besides, I am not unkeen on shopping either.

Now the Dinosaur and the Lovely Other Dinosaur are old. Look at them. Together they stand on the hill telling each other stories and feeling the warmth of the sun on their backs.

And that, my friends, is how it is with love. Let us all be Dinosaurs and Lovely Other Dinosaurs together. For the sun is warm. And the world is a beautiful place 

And also Union by Robert Fulghum:

You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes, to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making commitments in an informal way. All of those conversations that were held in a car, or over a meal, or during long walks – all those conversations that began with, “When we’re married”, and continued with “I will” and “you will” and “we will” – all those late night talks that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe” – and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding.

The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “You know all those things that we’ve promised, and hoped, and dreamed – well, I meant it all, every word.”

Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this 

moment you have been many things to one another – acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, even teacher, for you have learned much from one another. Shortly you shall say a few words that will take you across a threshold of life, and things between you will never quite be the same.

For after today you shall say to the world – This is my husband. This is my wife.

Then there's this one, which I totally loved, but H2B vetoed:

The Promise by Eileen Rafter.

The sun danced on the snow with a sparkling smile;

As two lovers sat quietly, alone for a while.

Then he turned and said, with a casual air

(though he blushed from his chin to the tips of his hair),

“I think I might like to get married to you.”

“Well then,” she said, “there’s a thought.

But what if we can’t promise to be all that we ought?

Can you promise me, say, that you won’t rage and shout,

If I’m late yet again, when we plan to go out,

For I know I can’t promise I’ll learn to ignore

Dirty socks or damp towels strewn all over the floor.

So if we can’t vow to be all that we should

I’m not sure what to do though the idea’s quite good.”

But he gently smiled and tilted his head

Till his lips met her ear and softly he said

“I promise to weave my dreams into your own,

that wherever you breathe will be my heart’s home.

I promise that, whether with rags or with gold I am blessed,

Your smile is the jewel I will treasure the best.

Do you think then, my love, we should marry – do you?”

“Yes, she said smiling, “I do.”

--------------------------------------------

Sorry for the multiple posts - would have hit the word limitimage

• MrsM2b13MrsM2b13 Posts: 29
    Thank you do much, I love the union one xx
  • We used 'the relationship promise' by Luke wright, my godmother read it and introduced it as some 'extra promises' to make to each other. I lived the story behind it that the write travelled the country asking people what makes a relationship work and the wrote a poem about it. No-one at our wedding had heard it before and it was very 'us'

I promise, my darling, to be your best friend

to settle the quarrels before the day ends

to teach you new things and learn in return

halve debts, colds and baths, and share laughs and concerns.

I promise, my love, to be silly with you

to giggle in restaurants and cinema queues

the romance and hum-drum all blended to bliss

a life battle-plan that???s sealed with a kiss.

From school runs and house work to sweet pillow talk

from mortgage repayments to long country walks

a cuppa in bed when the morning begins

and then when it???s over, I???ll pour you a gin.

I promise I???ll seek to avoid nasty schisms

I know that at times we???ll need two televisions

I love you so much that whenever we fight

I???ll learn to repeat: I was wrong, you were right.

I???ll cook for you darling, that???s what love???s about

a meal made from scratch is worth one hundred out

I???ll shield you from worries that swing overhead

I promise I???ll try to be awesome in bed.

I promise, my darling, I???ll give you your space

when you???re on the loo, dear, I???ll spare you my face

but know that I???ll be there when your spirit sinks

to match you for messiness, cuddles and drinks.

I love you, my darling, so let???s live together

stack days into decades to make our forever.