Forum home You & Your Baby

HOW LONG BEFORE OVULATION/AF AFTER COMING OFF MICROGYNON?

Hi ladies,

I came off the microgynon pill middle of May and am now on day 15 of my cycle. I have been doing ovulation sticks for the past few days with no positive result. I realise it may take some time for my cycles to become 'regular' but just wondered how long it took any of you to either ovulate or get your first AF?

I got my ovulation sticks from Amazon as they were £5.50 for 30 sticks. I'm wondering if maybe they aren't as accurate or even work at all for that price, think i'm getting a bit inpatient and it's only our first month of TTC! Any advice would be much appreciated!

• meadowbrook2meadowbrook2 Posts: 362
    Hi Nicki, im in exactly the same position as u!.. I too bought 'cheap' ovulation sticks due to the fact that as its our first month of trying I just thought it's not that important at this stage as I havent had a true period yet..just the one after finishing the pill.

the pack does say its over 99% accurate so I think they are as accurate as any make.

Good Luck!!
  • SifreynirSifreynir Posts: 560
    you can ovulate the day after your period. There is no set date/time hun.

Why are you using this stuff when you only just come off the pill? Give yourself a chance and save some flippin money...you going to need it all when bubs gets here.

When I came off microgoyn I was pregnant within the same cycle. No ovulations sticks required. That was the same all 4 times.

Each woman is different. Your cycles are unique to you and do not fit any books or averages.
  • NIKKINOOSNIKKINOOS Posts: 1,279
    Meadowbrook2, i'm glad i'm not the only one in this position! I'm so inpatient it's untrue! I want instant results!!

Sifreynir, i totally get where your coming from. I maybe need to be a bit more relaxed about the whole thing and let nature take it's course but i have no patience!

x

• When I came off microgynon (sp) i didnt have a period for around 2 or 3 months! So it will take a while, also it isnt usual to fall pregnant for the first year after coming off the pill (of any sort). Thats why they suggest you come off a while before trying! Contary to belief you are most fertile straight after you period, so thats the best time to try! Dont know if that helps,! Good luck xxx
  • SifreynirSifreynir Posts: 560
    Quoted:

Sifreynir, i totally get where your coming from. I maybe need to be a bit more relaxed about the whole thing and let nature take it's course but i have no patience!

me neither lol. Actually I been thinking about this since I posted. Its not entirely correct.

I came off the pill in October of 2007 and we started to 'try' for a baby and it didn't happen. Which freaked me out as before I only had to use the wrong towel and voila!

So...we stopped 'trying', just enjoyed making love...October 2009 I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy.

I really don't like this 'trying' mularky. It makes it sound such a laborious task...and it shouldn't be like that. Sure some people have problems, I just don't think couples should go into starting a family assuming they are going to have them.

I can't tell you the number of stories where 'trying' couples have stopped and then gottten pregnant. Taken a break just before starting IVF...and got pregnant without 'assistence'.

okay...will get off my soapbox now. Concentrate on your love making, not what it will create ;\)
    When you put it like that, it puts things into perspective! I don't think i'll be buying any more ovulation sticks for a few months and see what happens. The temptation isn't there to use them then! Fingers crossed! x
  • meadowbrook2meadowbrook2 Posts: 362
    Hi guys.. yes Nikki there sure is a temptation to use the sticks!!

I have done lots of reading this aft about coming off the pill etc.. when I asked my doctor & family planning they both advised that I didnt need to come off the pill months before & that it is straight out of ur system once u stop taking it.. I have read various different statements about this so who knows what to believe really!

I totally agree about the baby making comment!! make love as u normally would.. easy to say ha

Enjoy!! image

I agree meadowbrook2, it really is hard to know what to believe, me and my husband have just been talking about it and think we should let nature take it's course and things will happen when they happen. Fingers crossed it's soon though. I'm sure my mum already has a secret case of baby clothes waiting in the loft for when we announce the big news eventually!
  • MsBrushMsBrush Posts: 163
    Well I came off Mircrogynon in mid-April with the intention of giving my body a chance to get into a regular cycle before our wedding in November when we would start TTC.

Seven weeks later and I'm pregnant, so I'm testament to the fact that once you're off it, it really can be all systems go...!
  • PurpleSpringPurpleSpring Posts: 2,897
    I was on Marvelon until 4rd April, my 1st natural AF came 2nd May (exactly 28 days later! I used to have a 24 day cycle). I used ovulation sticks from CD 7 and got a positive CD10, I got my BFP last thursday. I would wait until AF arrives and then start testing from CD7 or 8 onwards.

Mrs Allen 4+2

[/url
    Wow, congratulations MsBrush and Mrs Allen! That certainly was quick! I hope we get a quick result! Have decided to leave the ovulation sticks for now and see how we get on.
  • ShewardSheward Posts: 395
    Hi Nikkinoos, I came off microgynon Sept 08 just after our wedding and i'm gutted to say we're still not pg. to be honest though my cycles are all over the place, so it's really hard to know when to BD. Although i'm loving the comment from one poster who said "you are most fertile after AF" - hope this is true, Me and hubby BD'd last night which was right after AF dissapeared - (fingers crossed!)

Good luck angel, keep us updated xxxxxxx
    I'm hoping it won't take too long for my cycle to return to normal but i was on microgynon for so long i'm worried it may take some time. Felt some cramping in my lower abdomen last night and today, ?may be a sign of ovulation?
  • Hi there I'm on microgynon and my wedding is SEPTEMBER next year , I'm just wandering when is best to come off the pill , as we would like a honeymoon baby but I've read that it's best to come off before to get your body to return to normal . Any suggestions when I should come off ? 

• BabyZebedeeBabyZebedee Posts: 2,421

Hi Helen,

I was one microgyon for 20 years. First cycle was 40-odd days, second was 50-odd and they never really settled after that. I also had a short luteal phase which is common after the pill. It took me 14 months (11 cycles) to conceive so there really is no rhyme or reason to how long it would take.

Personally I'd say come off 6 months before and use something else (non-hormonal) as contraception until you're ready to try. Try using a mooncup if you're worried about AF on your wedding day (which there's sure to be a good chance of if you want to be ovulating on honeymoon)

There really is no way you can predict if you'll get a honeymoon baby or not. Cycles can vary due to stress and weddings can be stressful not to mention there's only a 25% chance of conception in any cycle even if you time it perfectly and happen to both be peak fertility in your mid-20s

Just don't get too focussed on it is my advice. TTC is one of the few things in life you can't do much about.