Folic acid questions

I'm getting married in April 2010 and we are planning to start trying to conceive straight after the wedding. I'm wondering when I should start taking a folic acid suppliment - I think I read somewhere that I should start taking it three months before conception, (but I'm not sure if I imagined I read this!) -I'm interested in how long before conception other people started taking it?

I'd also like to know what suppliments others are on and is there any you would reccomend?

Thanks!

• HuniibumpHuniibump Posts: 3,913
    Hi hun, the recommendation is to start taking it about 3 months before you start trying but the sooner you start the better really as it has time then to build up in your system.

I'm taking pregnacare original at the minute, they are quite expensive but have everything you could need (including the folic acid) The 1 thing to keep in mind is if you do take another multivitamin make sure it doesn't contain vitamin A as it should be avoided

Good luck with the wedding! xx
  • helenb2209helenb2209 Posts: 5,102
    We are going to start trying october time next year before we get married dec 2011 and was going to start as soon as i stop taking the pill xx
  • I'm not getting married till Oct, but will will start TTC straight away. I have always struggled with anaemia so my doc has told me to start straight away. I didn't think he could mean now but I spoke my my friend who is a pharmacist and she agreed with him it wouldn't be a bad idea xx
  • Quoted:
    I'm not getting married till Oct, but will will start TTC straight away. I have always struggled with anaemia so my doc has told me to start straight away. I didn't think he could mean now but I spoke my my friend who is a pharmacist and she agreed with him it wouldn't be a bad idea xx

I don't want to start trying before the wedding as I don't want to come off the pill yet and have my hormones all over the place before the wedding (I'm stressed and stroppy enough!) Plus I want to have a glass or too of champagne on my wedding day!

Its also down to work, I'm a teacher and hoping to change jobs for September, I don't want to be obviously pregnant when going for job interviews as I don't think this will help me get a job! So if we delay trying until after the wedding it gives me time to get periods to settle after coming off the pill and to secure a new job first!

.... but I know these things never go quite to plan!
  • Hi all, I would agree pregnancare is probably one of the best on the market. And as others have said take as soon as possible and at least until your 12 weeks although all the way through is safe too; Folic acid is to help the babys spine form properly and prevent spina bifida. Is is essential to avoid any supplements that are not speciafically designed for pregnancy as high levels of vitamin A in pregnancy.is dangerous. Also there is recent research that if you take folic acid for a year before conception it reduces the chances of premature labour.

Good Luck!