Baby changing tables

Hi, trying to decide on a changing table at the moment. Quick question: is it better to place it in the bathroom, where there is easy access to water, or is the nursery a better idea, to get the baby familiar with her own room?

Thanks for any advice.

Rhubarb x

• AnnaNicole1AnnaNicole1 Posts: 2,435
    I'd say own room? To be quite honest though, i knoe a fair few people who have said that they bought a changing table and never really used it. As if they're downstairs they couldn't be bothered to take the baby up just to change, so just had a portable changing mat and a bath that sat on the moses basket stand because most moses basket stands also stand a baby bath image xx

Ur choice though hun image x
  • Nicki-JadeNicki-Jade Posts: 914
    Hey Rhu!

Changing table for babies room for exactly the reason you said, after bathtime even when baby isn't sleeping in their own room to start with it IS a good idea to do as much in there as possible. I do agree with Annanicole about using a changing mat on the floor when downstairs for ease but say if bubba is starting its naps once moved into the cot, you'll need ease of access to changing mat and I prefered the height of the changing table for back ache and stuff.

I even fed baby in baby's room first time around and will do again, not all the time but sometimes.

NJ x
  • RhubarbulousRhubarbulous Posts: 1,989
    Thanks girls. This is really useful to hear. I'd been advised that the bathroom is the best place as it's near the sink, but I've just been reading Gina Ford and she says nursery. We were planning to get a cheapo changing table from Ikea this weekend, but now I'm thinking that if it's going to go in the nursery instead, I might change my mind and get a nice chest of drawers instead, that will look nice with the cot and wardrobe, and put the changing mat on top of that.

Decisions, decisions...

Rhu x
  • SarahSukSarahSuk Posts: 1,667
    I went to ikea and got a chest of drawers with the changing table on top - they had the cot bed to match x
  • ExcitedEllyExcitedElly Posts: 251
    We went with the bedroom as well but then have ended up barely using it (not too bad as chest of drawers really) because as soon as baby got a bit bigger I moved to floor (she can't fall off the floor being my reasoning!) and a second changing mat downstairs as well in the living room (with a set of "changing supplies) in a lovely trug so it does at least look vaguely stylish! So maybe choose something that you like as a piece of furniture in its own right as well so if you ultimately don't use it as a changing table that much you wnon't mind?
  • RhubarbulousRhubarbulous Posts: 1,989
    Loving the trug idea Elly! How's things? Is Flora growing fast?

Rhu x
  • jlee1501jlee1501 Posts: 23
    I went for the drawers with changer on top in my daughters room when its no longer needed as a changer we can keep her toys or something on it. But the best thing we bought was a cosatto changer/bath unit on wheels for downstairs it saves you changing baby on floor and breaking your back esp if you have to have section. Some say they are unsightly in a living room but at the end of the day its so much more practical than taking baby upstairs for changes. Plus the bath is high so its easier to bathe.

Hope this helps x
  • ExcitedEllyExcitedElly Posts: 251
    She's fabulous thanks Rhubarb, growing like crazy! She does the biggest most beautiful smiles ever! Not long for you now is it, hope all is well. XX