Taking Vitamins

Hi, just wondered if anyone know if its safe to carry on taking vitamins while try to, and then hopefully getting pregnant. I have been taking a multi-vit with cod liver oil and evening primrose oil for years.

Hope someone can help I had a quick look on line but couldn't find a straight answer. Thanks

• PeasnCarrotsPeasnCarrots Posts: 1,831
    You need to take folic acid and avoid any vitamins that include vit A. I took pregnacare whilst trying and also throughout the whole of my pregnancy (You can stop after 3 months but my midwife said it wont harm baby if I took them throughout so I thought that the extra vits would help me through my working day and be a bonus for the baby!!)

Not sure about cod liver oil or evening primrose though. Try your local Holland and Barret

Good luck with getting pregnant

You need to take folic acid and avoid any vitamins that include vit A. I took pregnacare whilst trying and also throughout the whole of my pregnancy (You can stop after 3 months but my midwife said it wont harm baby if I took them throughout so I thought that the extra vits would help me through my working day and be a bonus for the baby!!)

Not sure about cod liver oil or evening primrose though. Try your local Holland and Barret

Good luck with getting pregnant

• CBAUMECBAUME Posts: 68
    ok will have a look for that one, started taking Folic acid when I came off the pill. Thank you for the advise xx
    Your welcome, good luck x
  • AmberLseAmberLse Posts: 96
    I think Cod Liver Oil is a no-no once you are pregnant, as you shouldn't consume anything that is Liver-related, as it contains high levels of Vitamin A.

No idea on Evening Primrose...

I'm taking the Boots "Mum-to-be" version of Vitamins, as at least I know they shouldn't contain anything that will be harmful when we get pregnant...

As MrsMc says, ask in H&B, just to check!

Good luck!