Forum home You & Your Baby

work related advice please

Morning,

I'm just wondering if someone can help me. I'm looking at the possibality of a starting a new job but I'm also looking to start TC at the end of the year.

How long do you have to be employed before you benifit materinty rights.. ive had a look through my current contract but it's so complicated !!

thanks Ladies xx

• AnnaNicole1AnnaNicole1 Posts: 2,435
    You could try rining the Careers Advice Service? Im currently 25+4 weks pregnant and i have a book abotu money an entitlements ect and its says For advice on returning to work, changing career, getting training and help with child care costs called Careers Advice Servce.

The number for them is 0800 100 900 and their website is www.careersadvice.direct.gov.uk

Hope that helped hun xx
  • Minnie128Minnie128 Posts: 186
    You will be entitled to maternity leave, no matter how long you have been working for. You are entitled to up to 1 year.

To get statutory maternity pay, you need to have been in your job for at least 26 weeks 15 weeks before the baby is due (so when you are about 25 weeks pregnant). You also need to be paid more than £97 a week. You will be entitled to this for 9 months. The first 6 weeks are paid at 90% of your salary, and the rest is paid at the rate of £125 gross a week or 90% of your salary if that's less than £125). Your new employer may provide a better package but you usually have to be employed for about a year or more before you get it.

If you are not entitled to this, you may be entitled to maternity allowance depending on your circumstances.

I hope that helps!