Forum home You & Your Baby

1st Doctors Consultation on mon...What to expect?

Hi Ladies,

I found out ladt thurs that I am expecting my 1st child and so I rang the doctors yest kind of expecting to see a nurse or something but instead i've got a doctors consultation.

I was watching a film last night and there was a lot of doctors "examining" the lady in question. Will this happen on mon??? Or is it just as i thought which is blood tests etc??

eecck. image

• supertabbysupertabby Posts: 1,125 New bride
    You'll most likely get congratulated and then given forms or a telephone number to refer you to a midwive, told to take folic acid, and that's about it. Most doctors don't do a blood test or carry out any examination as the over-the-counter tests are as reliable as anything a gp can do, so they accept that as your positive result.

If you're on prescription medicines you should check with your doctor if they're safe while you're there.
  • supertabbysupertabby Posts: 1,125 New bride
    Oh and... congratulations!
  • Your doctor will ask you when you last period was and send details to the hospital then the hospital have an idea how far you are and will send you an appointment for your 12 week scan. Like supertabby said he will tell you about folic acid he wont give you an examination or anything like that good luck and congrats at this special time image
  • Angela49ukAngela49uk Posts: 855
    Congratulations!!!

I am 7+5, and had my first doc appt a couple of weeks ago. As mentioned above, he didnt bother doing any sort of test. He asked me a few questions about my general health, did I smoke and drink? He took my BP which was a little high at the appt, so went back the following 2 weeks and it was back to normal, i think i was just a bit anxious at the first appt. He also gave me a rough due date, which will be confirmed when i have my 12 scan.

• MrsSmileyjulyMrsSmileyjuly Posts: 1,818
    1st appointment is a bit dull I'm afraid! like the others said its just for dates and folic acid - height and weight. The only examining i got was the doctor feeling my stomach a bit!

Congrats!
  • Congrats hon. I had my docs appointment yesterday & it was nothing at all what I expected. She asked the date of my last period & worked out when baby would be due, said about hospital referal & said to take folic acid & that was it! No examination, no test, nothing! Poor Hubby took the morning off to come with me & think he was expecting more. Just now waiting for scan in 5 weeks!
  • winelover79winelover79 Posts: 1,108
    Thanks ladies - Thats put my mind at rest lots!!!

Been to mothercare today, I now its early and we have promised ourselves not too buy anything major yet but it was lovely feeling all the quilts etc.

Think we've picked our nursery furniture at least, only trouble is me now!!! We have a small 2 bed house and at the mo my stuff ie dressing table has no where to go!!! image
  • mrsleggomrsleggo Posts: 807
    Congratulations!!!!

I'd take a urine sample with you just in case. You never know when they will come in handy, everytime I went to docs/midwife/hospital I took one with me.

I understand about the house and furniture, we were exactly the same...its amazing how much you have to get rid of to make way for baby.

Dawn x