First Midwife Appointment

Ive got my first midwife appt on Thursday and i was wondering if my Hubby should come with me?

What will happen at this appointment and does he need to be there?

• JHyamsJHyams Posts: 1,848
    My hubby wasn't with me, but only because she rang me the night before saying that she would come over the next morning, so hubby didn't have time to rearrange work.

There is no need for him to come. The mw will ask about family history from both sides (learning difficulties, asthma, cancer etc) as well as your hubby's details, so as long as you know all this, you can see her on your own.

I think, if its not practical for your hubby to be there, he doesn't need to be. Its far more important for him to be there for the scans, heartbeat check and obviously, the birth!

• Hiya

Congrats on your pregnancy!

My hubby didn't come with me, he doesn't really need to be there tbh. She just fills in a book that will be filled in throughout your pregnancy and gives you some literature! It's just really an information session, she doesn't do anything til about 14 weeks which is your first midwife appointment after your scan where she listens to heartbeat...hubby was there for them it was lovely listening to his little heart!

Hope you have a fab pregnancy x
  • MrsH2128MrsH2128 Posts: 566
    My husdand didn't come with me, it was mostly form fiilling and family history etc. She also took my bloods and told me when my scan was, asked if I wanted the downs check. As long as you know family history you should be fine.
  • hey mines is on thursday aswell!image ill be 12 weeks by then so i was wondering when my first scan will be as my midwife appointment is at the health centre. So i called the hospital to find out and they said i will get it at my thursday appointment.So glad i called now cause it only said on the letter you could bring a friend or relative and as my husband works alot as its his business i was just going to say to him its not the end of the world if you cant be there prob just some blood tests and a wee chat about pregnancy! he would have been gutted if he had actually missed first scan. I mean i know the word husband is like a foreign word these days with pregnancy but couldnt they have even written partner lol
  • supertabbysupertabby Posts: 1,125 New bride
    My first appointment with midwife was at home on a sunday so hubby was there anyway, but I'm glad he was. The appt is for about an hour and although it's all general there is a lot of information covered. I thought it was good for hubby to be involved.

He doesn't come to the check ups with the midwife, they're generally fairly quick and just checking blood pressure etc, but I think the first one was valuable.

And for scans you definately want hubby there if possible.
  • jomcbridejomcbride Posts: 128
    Hi there

My first appointment was at 10 weeks and Im glad my hubby came with me because we had our first scan at that appointment also. I think different hospitals etc do it different ways but our appointment letter did say to have a full bladder as we would be getting a scan so im glad he was with me. Nice for support too as I was nervous and didnt know what to expect.