Forum home You & Your Baby

When to start buying baby items?

Hi ladies, I am 12 weeks tomorrow and have heard that you are not supposed to buy things for your baby until atleast 6 months. We will be moving into our new house next month and face the prospect of seeing an empty room until May! Just wondering when you are planning to buy furniture, prams, clothes etc. image

• Hi,

It's sending me mad not buying anything yet and I'm only about 5 weeks gone! I have promised hubbie that I won't until I'm 12 weeks so thats what I'm doing my sister bought her pram at 12 weeks but didnt keep it in the house. But she has everything they need now and she is only 28 weeks she started buying on the day of the scan!!!

Victoria
  • poppet12poppet12 Posts: 357
    I did not buy anything until I was 30 weeks - guess I was just overly cautious and wanted to make sure everything was OK. Pram I ordered on my 32nd week but only just got it delivered and is now in my garage. My due date is meant to be tomo!

However, I started to do all my research on what I wanted to buy from 20 weeks onwards. Start making a list, do price comparison etc - that will make you feel you are doing something.

My mother-in-law bought me baby clothes on my 14th week but told I did not want it until the baby arrives. We have decided not to find out the sex of our baby so I just asked her to get neutral stuff.

The only thing I have not bought is lotion for the baby as not sure how their skin will react. Plus when you start maternity leave - you have all this to look forward to. I went on maternity leave 6 weeks before my due date and I used that time to buy all the little accessories which I picked up in the sale.

I know it is difficult when you see so many cute things but it is worth the wait and look out for the sale as you will save lots.

Good luck but for now just enjoy your first trimester and focus on your health. Shopping can come later, plus people will get you things too.
  • HRoper2bHRoper2b Posts: 563
    We have the opposite problem - we are moving (fingers crossed) when I will be 7 months into a house that is much bigger and needs some work!

We have been truiny to sort everything out and get stuff pon order so that when we move we can have a month of sorting out the house without worrying that we have to find all the baby stuff as well!

I think it depends how you feel generally. Im usually overly cautious but I also like to be planned and I would feel quite stressed about us not using the time that we have now to do my research and make use of the sales!
    We have the opposite problem - we are moving (fingers crossed) when I will be 7 months into a house that is much bigger and needs some work!

We have been truiny to sort everything out and get stuff pon order so that when we move we can have a month of sorting out the house without worrying that we have to find all the baby stuff as well!

I think it depends how you feel generally. Im usually overly cautious but I also like to be planned and I would feel quite stressed about us not using the time that we have now to do my research and make use of the sales!
  • jomcbridejomcbride Posts: 128
    Hi there

Im not superstitious or anything but want to wait till June to buy big things like furniture pram etc. Baby due 28th July.

I have recently bought some babygrows, vests, bibs etc and a lovely wee blanket just to cheer myself up as I was sick and feeling down. Its hard to resist buying stuff but its up to everyone how they feel. I know unfortunately some people miscarry but you must think positive....thats what hubby tells me - whats the point in thinking the worst all the time. My Dad thinks we shouldnt even buy things like pram, furniture until baby comes home!...he says sure it doesnt even go in its own room for 6 months but I would rather have the nursery prepared than my husband have to do it all when we have a newborn in tow! If you want to buy some small things after your 12 week scan do it! It does cheer u up if feeling down too...
  • JHyamsJHyams Posts: 1,848
    I'm 16+2 and have only brought 1 baby grow and 1 bib and bottle that came in a set.

I've done my research on what pram I want and will be getting it within a month or so. Its gone up by £60 because of the VAT, so part of me thinks I shouldn't have waited!

We are going to find out the sex, which will be around the 20th Feb, so will start buying blankets, clothes and things then and start decorating nursery

• MrsH2128MrsH2128 Posts: 566
    Thanks for your replies. Hubby wants to lay off buying things until 6 months but I know once I tell my mum there will be no stopping her!

I'm going to plan and resaerch everything we need and price it up and maybe buy all the big items in one go. No point buying yet until we move next month.
  • Hiya,

I'm 31 weeks tomorrow & have only really just started buying stuff. We went out the other week & bought a ton of babygros as I had a dream that bubsy was born & I had nothing to dress junior in! We bought a crib & some bedding in the sales, but that's about it. Thankfully I'm getting a lot of bits from my sister in law including Pram & Cot, but still to sort things like hospital bag which I'm planning on doing when I'm on maternity leave.

Mx
    We have been the other way round! We are hoping to move house in the first couple of weeks of March when I will be 7 months! We did not buy anything until 12 weeks and not much before the 20 week scan but after that we have really started in earnest!

We know there is stuff that we need to do in the new house before the baby comes along and I am enjoying spending this time researching and planning the things that we need and then when we move I can have peace of mind knowing that it is all sorted. Many of the items we have just placed orders for but doing it this way we have also got some deals in the sales! This weekend we will be ordering the cot and the car seat ready for collection in April (when hopefully we will have a bit more space!)

Im generally a supersticious person but with this my main concern has been not having the time to research stuff properly!