Forum home You & Your Baby

start earlier or wait?

I have a worry that keeps pushing through in my head.

I havent had a period since sept, I have been to docs rencently andhad blood test, but they said they would contact me if anything showed up, and they havent so I think its clear. I will call tomorrow!

Anyway so i know i need to go back and see what the next step it. When I last went in, the doctor said it could be PCOS and I could have trouble concieving.

Hubby knows all this, but I fobbed it off saying i'm sure all will be fine as I didnt want him to worry, but I am worrying!

What if it takes us ages to concieve?! I watched my friend go through a 2 year battle to concieve and it was awful!

We got married last year, I am 25 in oct and hubby 27 next month. We have few hols this year booked all in europe last one being in oct.

We have mortgage on a one bed ground floor flat.

My worry is, that maybe we should get going sooner rather than later? We both want kids but were happy to wait at the mo, but can we really afford to risk that? or maybe we should at least start trying near our lat holiday!?

Its really stressing me out!

• supertabbysupertabby Posts: 1,125 New bride
    You need to get to the bottom of any health problems first with your GP, especially as if there is a problem you might need treatment that can't be done in pregnancy. Frustrating as it sounds I would see what your GP can tell you about why your periods have disappeared first.

Beyond that, you are only 25 so you have loads of time left. Even if you had to wait a couple of years and have fertility treatment (which is the extreme and you'll probably be just fine) then you'll still be young enough to then have more kids after that.

I know you've posted on here before, unsure of if it's the right time in your life because of saving for a bigger place and wanting to do some travelling etc. It sounds like fear of what's happening with your body and if you'll have problems in the long term is making you want to rush something that maybe otherwise you'd wait for.

We chose to wait several months because of delayed honeymoon (and then money when I got made redundant) and I found it really hard, kept wondering if we'd have problems when we started trying - for us because of my age mostly but also a few medical issues in my history, so I understand that feeling of wanting to get on with it but also knowing you should wait. In the end we were fine.

I'd talk to your GP or maybe see if you can speak to a fertility counsellor or someone, to help you get your emotions less confused. And talk to your hubby, he needs to understand what you're feeling too.

Good luck!
  • BlaireukBlaireuk Posts: 181
    I think supertabby's advice is spot on.

You need to get to the bottom of your health problems first. Hopefully the doctor will be able to give you some advice and any treatment (if needed). Hopefully after its all sorted you can spend the next 9 months or so getting to know your body and cycles as well as enjoying the holday's you've got planned.

• NowMrsMNowMrsM Posts: 536
    Can I ask- are you taking the pill? You didn't mention it in your original post... I had a similar issue by where after years of taking it with regular (clockwork!) monthly bleeds they suddenly stopped for no reason. After a lot of to and fro-ing with a very unhelpful GP who wouldn't advise me to stop taking it- as I might fall pregnant (really?! imageimage ) - to try and regulate my hormone levels I came off it and they returned...

I think your mind would be at ease more if you know why your periods have stopped.. and then you'd get a better idea of what you may or may not face when you're trying for a baby.... And then you can use that to make a decision what you want to do! I know someone with PCOS who has successfully had 2 children with very little trouble so it can be done!

Is stressful being a woman isn't it?! Good luck xx
  • JHyamsJHyams Posts: 1,848
    I've got PCOS and conceived within 2 weeks without any fertility treatment. 50% of people with PCOS struggle to conceive naturally, so that's 50% of women who don't have any problems at all.

Don't fret! If the outcome is that you have PCOS, don't rush into ttc unless you are emotionally and financially ready. And if you do struggle to ttc, then there are loads of ways that can help women in your situation.

xx