Telling family

Anyone think you should wait until baby is 12 weeks before revealing to close family? My last baby we held off until about 14weeks!!! It was nice sharing the secret just between me and hubby but this time I just want to tell the people closest to us. I went for my first doctors visit there today (she did a urine test and using my dates confirmed Im 5weeks) and I just feel like I want to talk about it to people, the first time I was really cagey about it an worried it would tempt fate to tell people but now I feel like if the worst is going to happen it will happen regardless of whether I've told people or not. What are you girls doing?

• poppet12poppet12 Posts: 357
    I waited to tell family until after I had the scan. My sister guessed when I was 8 weeks and she was sworn to secrecy until I told my parents after the scan.

I told work after the scan too - I was lucky I was able to disguise it. Remember your first trimester should be stress free and taking it easy - I decided not to tell anyone as I wanted to enjoy it with my hubby. Focus on being healthy and you will know when the time is right to tell people.
  • MrsH2128MrsH2128 Posts: 566
    We have decided to wait until after the scan (next Wednesday) to tell our family. My parents are away until mid-Feb so will have to wait until then anyway. May wait a little longer to tell work as I don't think myboss will be very sympathetic.

I understand how you are feeling, I went to visit my nan on Sunday and just wanted to blurt it out to her as I know how happy she will be for us but restrained myself. I think it will be nice to show everyone the scan picture when we tell them and I want to make sure everything is ok too.

You should tell people when you feel right about it, for the moment its nice sharing a secret with hubby.
  • mrsleggomrsleggo Posts: 807
    I told my mum and dad early on but my mum guessed any way due to me being really bad with morning sickness. And work guessed too as I work in a small office and was running to the loo to be sick at least 10 times a day

I guess it is upto the individual who and when you tell, but I wanted my mum to know as I would have wanted her there if anything were to go wrong.

Dawn x
  • I told my Mum straight away as I had the test in my hand, we boguht their house of them last summer and they are living with us at the mo to save some of the massive discount they gave us image So I felt we had to tell them, plus my Nan as she lives with me too so couldnt keep it quiet. So only fair to tell the inlaws also.. A few close friends know for support as they have kids but toher than that we are waiting for 12 week mark for siblings etc

• Thanks everyone! I guess it is down to personal preferance so I guess we'll see how we feel when we are around our close family and take it from there. I loved keeping the secret between me and hubby last time but this time Im just desperate to tell for some reason! image
  • We are telling my parents tonight and telling hubby's parents tomorrow. Im 7 weeks pregnant. We probably would've waited until i was closer to 10 weeks - but hubby's parents live quite a distance away and we are going down to visit them this weeked - so we decided to tell them now. Had first appointment with midwife today, so we can share all the information we've been given!
  • JHyamsJHyams Posts: 1,848
    We told parents when I was 8 weeks, told siblings/ grandparents a couple of weeks later and told the wider family and friends when I was nearing 12 weeks. We found out I was pregnant at about 4 weeks, so waiting 4 weeks to tell parents was hard enough!