Forum home You & Your Baby

Contraceptive Advice

Hi Girls

Me and hubby are thinking about trying for a baby next year and I'm currently on the Ortho Evra Patch, which according to online sources you should be off for 6 months before starting to try. So I thought I'd switch to something else in the mean-time, so that when we decided to go for it I could just stop taking it and not have to "plan".

So docs this morning prescribed me the Microgynon pill, but having read some horror stories about mood swings & weight gain, I'm now not so sure this is a good idea! The doc said it was very similar to the patch and used the same hormones, so I'm thinking if I was ok on that then this should be the same...

So confused image I'd love to just not take anything at all!

• JHyamsJHyams Posts: 1,848
    I wouldn't worry. There is always a risk of having side effects with anything. All pills carry a warning risk of mood swings. I was on different types for several years and never had a problem.

Don't worry about side effects, if you do, then you couldn't take any form of medication, because everything has risks! x
  • Hi why don't you ask about a NON hormonal coil.

That way you are protected but as there are no hormones your body has time to get back to normal and recover from the time its been on the pill and the minute you have the coil removed you are ready, no waiting! good luck
  • MrsPLMrsPL Posts: 417
    Hiya

I was on Microgynon pill for about 6 months a few years back and I have to say it didn't suit me - I put on over a stone - got spots which i had never had until then (still get them now booo) and worst of all i felt lower than low and really angry. Luckily my h2b is a saint. Ofcourse it is different for everyone but from woman to woman I wouldn't recommend them x
  • RRrr2011RRrr2011 Posts: 1,262
    I was on the microgynon pill and was told to come off it if i was planning on starting to try so it could get out of my system. I also had problems with weight gain and horrid mood swings.

I had a non hormone coil fitted and its great. You get a bit of pain when fitted, a bit like period pain but nothing a couple of paracetomol, hot water bottle and a good night sleep won't solve (i had mine done in the evening and by morning all pain gone)

Planning on having mine removed in a couple of weeks once our wedding is over!
  • Hey

Like everybody says pills affect people differently. I was on microgynon before I got pregnant and I'm on it again now and it's fine! No weight gain/spots/bad moods etc. It also didn't affect us conceiving...I finished it the end of may in preparation for our wedding in July and we had our first try beginning of September and we caught first time. I don't k ow if it would have been first time if we'd had tried sooner but j was only off it 3 months.

Good luck x