Forum home You & Your Baby

Names, need help!!!

We have just over 2 half weeks before EDD and we still haven't decided on names. We don't know the sex yet. So trying to think of both names is becoming hard.

I also have a lot of boys in my family cousin etc who I'm close with so many names are taken. Any name suggestions would be great. Last name is Grant so goes with most things.

Thank you x

• cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    Hiya

Do you have any family middle names that you will pass down as that will possibly influence the first names.

My only request is that you don't call the baby if a boy Grant, as I have seen people do this.

Do you like modern names, traditional etc? When our time comes I am going to write a list of boy names I like, and get hubby to do the same and see if any crossovers.

I loved the name Harry but my friend has called her little boy this and we see him enough to not copy. Other names I can't have are Max, Zach, Owen,Emelia and Amelie.
  • ajb205ajb205 Posts: 141
    Lol don't worry I wouldn't call him Grant.. We both like modern names but nothing to out there.

My granddads middle name is George so we said if we had a boy this would be his middle name.

We already have a Jake, Jack, Harry, Harrison, Ethan, Sam, Lewis, luke, Tom, Noah and a Kane in the family. So wanted something different.

Maybe we should write a list again and see what we come up with.

Thank you
    Ah George works well with a lot of names

Good job Ethan has gone as Ethan George Grant would have the initials Egg!! Though if you like that idea you could call him something else with the initial E

How about Jamie? My godson is Owen George, I like Charlie too, Ayden/ Aiden

Tricky to put forward ideas for someone don't know

Girls I like Lucy and Emily, more traditional. My cousin is on about calling her daughter Tallulah!!
  • mrsleggomrsleggo Posts: 807
    My choice of boys name was Jack George, unfortunately (for my hubby who wanted a boy) we had a little girl and called her Nell Grace

One of my friends has just called her little boy Sebastian

Dawn x
  • lbarr10lbarr10 Posts: 586
    Not that im pregnant or anything but me and h2b have talked about names and we like, Owen William for a boy and Charlotte Anne for a girl. I also really like the names Evie, Niamh and Lucie for a girl and David, Henry and Kaylum for a boy.
  • lucelalucela Posts: 551
    Harry Scott and Jensen Jimmy if ours is a boy and freya, renee or Olivia if it's a girl! The best is I'm not even having a baby yet lol but you have to think of these things ha ha! A couple of girls I know liked the name Isla for a girl which is my friends name! image x
    I'm liking Aiden it's nice and goes well with George.

We both had Evie on our list for a girl but we had a few friend in the last month call their little girls Evie or Eve. It seems to have got really popular at the moment.

I never thought it would be this hard to come up with a name!!

Thank you for the suggestions x x
  • HRoper2bHRoper2b Posts: 563
    We are due in 4.5 weeks and I thought picking a name would be easy (we used to talk about it all the time) but when it came down to actually having to choose we have also struggled! Particularly with girls names!

Think we are going for Samuel James for a boy (unless he looks like an Oliver, when he will become Oliver William) and Isabelle Emma for a girl, although I keep picking at this as im not really sure about it! I think the Emma might sound a bit sharp with our surname - Roper! we are considering Emily at the moment for not sure if that might be too much of a mouthful!

Our other names were Luke, Daniel, Catherine (Katy), Madelaine, Evie, Rebecca, Amy and Holly!

I am sure that even if you cant find something pre-baby arriving then as soon as you see him/her that something will spring into your mind!

Good luck with everything!

Hx
  • ezz100ezz100 Posts: 1,029 New bride
    As someone suggested Jenson Grant sounds brilliant....and destined for success ! I also like Alfie, Noah, Jamie, Joshua and Rudy

Girls ...I like Morwenna, Evie, Imogen, and Florence
  • TheWifeTheWife Posts: 188
    I'm a big fan of traditional names but I suppose you never know until your time comes...which for us will be a few more years!

Personally, I like Lucy or Eleanor for a girl and Luke or Max for a boy. My friend just called her son Quinn which I think is lovely. It's so unusual - I've never heard it before and as a teacher, that's saying something!
  • LouQLouQ Posts: 77
    What about Samuel? Samuel George Grant sounds like a movie star!
  • SteampunkbrideSteampunkbride Posts: 1,748
    Our little monster is Morgan James Stanley. We only decided on Morgan about 4 weeks before he arrived, the Stanley was a name personal to me and I had to have then when he was a few hours old we realised we needed to break up the Morgan Stanley (so he wasn't named after a bank...). We've chosen Megan if we have a girl next time.

How about Oscar? Lloyd? Ptolomey? (Ok, being silly now...).

Honestly though, you'll find a name. You'll look at your baby and now it's a ******** (insert name here). When I held Morgan, I knew that was his name and it couldn't have been anything else.

Good luck!
  • Hello,

I like Elsie, Mae, Lottie and Florence for a girl. Boys I find far more tricky. OH likes Efion, I like Oscar, Milo (although Tweenies springs to mind) and Alfie.

I'm also a teacher and couldn't ever use the name of someone I have taught, or even know of!
  • hev1980hev1980 Posts: 146
    We've chosen Rory Dallas for a boy, and Erin Grace if its a girl...

We also have Milo and Nate in the mix for boys and Lyra and Evie for girls..
  • Hubby and I both wrote a list of 5 names and then we crossed off any that we really hated from each others lists and agreed on our final one from the remainder.

Our daughter is Constance Victoria, if she had been a boy she would have been Joseph Daniel.

For boys I like Samuel and Nathaniel.

For girls I like Erin, Freya, Phoebe, Clara.

GOOD LUCK! X
    Thank you for all the suggestions, we both wrote a list of 5 girl and boy names we both liked last night and we both had Finley for a boy and Olivia and Evie for a girl. The thing is I'm still not 100% sure maybe I won't know untill I met the little one. X
  • Lovely names!

On my list for when we have kids are:

Girls - Polly

Alice

Elizabeth

Ada

Cecily

Matilda

Boys - Harry

Henry

William

Sam

Ben

George
    My friend thought she had the name sussed until her son was born then he went 20 hours with no name as none of the ones they had picked they thought would suit him.

one tip is to go register the birth together though, I run a course and we do a thing about how did you get the name and on most courses I have someone where there name should have been one thing but the dad changed it when registering the birth - I have run this course approx 20 times so it is a big thing!!
  • Love Rory!
  • Mi-LiMi-Li Posts: 71
    I'm the same as Chicken! I work in a nursery and i've seen hundreds of kids come through.... thats why i like unique names:

Boy- Chase, Hayden, Ethan

Girl- Jaymi, Coral, Luna

• ezz100ezz100 Posts: 1,029 New bride
    I think the names you have picked are lovely
  • Mi-LiMi-Li Posts: 71
    Also, you've got to bare in mind surnames.... for example, you can't have Tom Thomas or Sam Samuels etc

If/When we decide to have children and are blessed with a son, we will have Hayden Hardy...it flows through image
  • NowMrsMNowMrsM Posts: 536
    Names is mega hard!

We've got Noah Benjamin for our little boy, who would have been Isla Grace if he was a she!

We didn't even get as far as having more than one option for each sex as struggled so much!

Good luck x
  • shelldoddsshelldodds Posts: 2,679
    Ooh I like Jenson! I've texted the hub to ask him!! We're struggling to agree on boys names or girls names argh image I have 13 weeks left though but can't see it getting much easierimage Our surname is Dodds and find a lot are tricky to match that to!

I LOVED Lydia Grace forever but hubby has gone off Lydia much to my dismay image sniff. He likes Emily but I think it's too popular at the moment and although lovely I can't put my finger on why it's not quite right. I'd like to have James or George as a middle name for a boy as James was my grandad and is my dads and bro's middle name, and George is hubbys dads name. And Grace is my mums middle name which I love image

Other than that, totally stuck! Boo!

xxx
  • shelldoddsshelldodds Posts: 2,679
    OOps! Sorry, I overdid the smileys ha ha ha xxx
  • MrsJMrsJ Posts: 122
    Oooo i love this thread!!

Girls names - Isla, Evie, Georgia, Ava, Harriet, Lucy, Susie, Emily, Sophia, Lilly, Poppy, Rosie, Madison, Hannah

Boys names - Ethan, Daniel, Caeleb, Bradley, Cole, Logan, Owen, Ollie, Alfie, Flynn, Zayn, Rilley, Harrison

I could go on all day! I'll have to have many chilldren to use all the names i like!

I really like Isla but husbands best friend has a daughter called that. I know we could use the same names but I would like something different

It would be really interesting to hear what is really popular at the moment from nursery workers, teachers and midwives etc... X
  • PBubsPBubs Posts: 333
    Not TTC yet (after the wedding in June image) but I found the website babynames.co.uk tonight and you can register and then just add names to your favourites which I thought was a great

idea!

As our surname will be one syllable I think a 2 syllable first name and one syllable middle name sounds best.

Boys - Ethan, Dylan, Max, Ashton, Finlay, Louis(Louie), Zach, Carter, Cole, Finn, Marley, Deacon, Bailey, Devon

Girls (some I prefer as middle names) - Ruby, Sophie, Ella, Leah, Scarlett, Ava, Mollie, Nicole, Summer, Elle, Robyn, Ada, Neve, Lia, Emmie, Hallie (Halle), Emme.

xxx