How long did it take?

We get married in just under four months and are keen to try for a baby straight away!

I've been on the pill for about 15 years and wondered if you would mind sharing with me how long it took you to get pregnant after stopping the pill?

Tbh we'd happily start trying now but my periods were so erratic and painful before taking the pill I don't want to clash with the wedding and our honeymoon. We plan to stop taking it the week before the wedding so any bleed is before the day and we can TTC on honeymoon.

Any and all advice gratefully received image

• mistyscottmistyscott Posts: 729
    I was on the pill for about 15yrs, before which I had very painful periods every two weeks image

Came off the pill two yrs before conceiving (due to interaction with meds) and periods were quite erratic, cycle varying from 26-37 days.

We got married at Christmas time last year, and conceived two weeks before that (unknowingly!) on my hen weekend (OH came to spend the sunday night with me after hens all went home). We're possibly not very representative as that was the only time we did the deed in about 4 months (another story...) and we fell pregnant a couple days later when I ovulated (and his little fellas were hanging around waiting still image )

Prior to that, I was getting concerned about TTC, partly due to the infrequency of dtd, and partly cos the doc had suggested I wasn't ovulating every month (PCO potentially). Turned out to be unecessary worrying and we have the 20wk scan tomorrow image

Have a fabulous wedding and enjoy the baby-making image
  • I came off the pill in November after being on it for 16 years. This is our 5th month of TTC. I'm currently on the 2ww so will find out next week if I'm pregnant although have a feeling I'm not so will be going onto month 6 for us.

But I think it all depends on each person as my firned came off the pill and caught two weeks later so you just never know.

Good luck with baby making.

Baby dust to you

Glitters x
  • DuddersDudders Posts: 1,659 New bride
    Thankyou ladies.

Good luck tomorrow misty and I hope you're lucky soon glitters xx
  • Hi,

I came off the pill in Sept after about 10 years and found out I'm pregnant a few days ago so 7 months for us.

XXX
    Congratulations Mrs B xx
  • Thank you. X
  • JHyamsJHyams Posts: 1,848
    I came off the pill after 7 years and conceived in 2 weeks. (my mum always warned me that fertility rates are high in my family!) x
  • Sam1982ukSam1982uk Posts: 555
    I stopped taking the pill at xmas and just got my period again image To be fair Feb we didn't really try but I am a bit gutted x
  • MiaLeaceyMiaLeacey Posts: 1,184
    I came off the pill about 18 months ish before we ttc-ed, so it's hard to answer your question. However a friend of mine got pregnant straight away. Be warned though - with twins! All those years of not releasing eggs, her ovaries started firing them out two at once!
    Hehe Mia - there's twins on both sides so we know that's already a possibility!

Doc told me the other day that many women have a super fertile period in the first six weeks of stopping the pill so we'll have to wait and see.

It seems that for some people it is absolutely ages and for quite a lot it's really quick. We'd quite like two kids (so twins might be handy!) but I'm a bit worried about time as I turn 35 the day before the wedding. That clock has started ticking VERY loudly in the last few days!

Good luck to everyone TTC and happy healthy pregnancies to all of you that have been blessed with a little bundle of joy. xx
  • Lainey_emLainey_em Posts: 167
    came off pill in sept after about 8 yrs got period as normal and pregnant in nov I know we were very lucky was so worried it would takes us ages good luck image
  • I came off the pill in septmeber after 6 years of being on it and started trying in November. I wish I had stopped pill when we were ready to start to make the most of the fertile period. Af returned straight away but still no BFP.
  • leighh5ukleighh5uk Posts: 278
    I came off my pill after 10years in the february and got pregnant the follwing february so 12months for me, and my beautiful baby boy is 5months old already flies by!!!x
  • cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    I came off my pill in December 5 days later had my first AF, so don't assume it will be over and done with by the time you have your wedding if you come off a week before, next one was then 29 days later now still TTC
    My problem is that I'm so impatient and I hate not knowing. If someone said it will take x amount of time, I could (just about!) live with that.

We don't really want to wait but know it's for the best - 3 and a half months and counting! image
  • sparkle640sparkle640 Posts: 206
    Chicken Soup UK - I'm in the exact same situation as you. Came off the pill in September (after being on it for 10 years) & started trying in Novemeber. Still no BFP & it's so frustrating! To be fair AF is all over the place, only actually had AF twice in the 5 months we've been trying. Anyone else had the same problem with AF after coming off the pill? xx Good luck everyone xx