Forum home You & Your Baby

Midwife Appointment

I have my first appointment with my midwife the week after next and I just wondered what is likely to happen. I know they will do blood tests and discuss family history etc but what I wondered is whether or not I will come away with any reassurance that baby is doing well? Do you know if they will listen to the heartbeat with a doppler? The wait is killing me, I'm so afraid that I'll go for my scan and there will be no baby there! image

• MiaLeaceyMiaLeacey Posts: 1,184
    I did feel a bit reassured after my appointment, as the midwife was lovely and she said that worrying is very normal! But no, no actual reassurances about bubs. She didn't listen to heartbeat, guessing it's still too little for a doppler to pick up.

Good luck!
  • mum2be2011mum2be2011 Posts: 1,172
    I've had my appointment now with my midwife and although there was no real reassurance she did assure me that all my symptoms and sometimes 'loss of symptoms' are completely normal and I've to try not to worry. I only have 6 days now until the scan so I am counting down the days! I think once a see baby on screen reality will begin to hit home that I'm actually going to be a Mummy! image

Did anyone else get really freaked out when the midwife told them they were testing their blood for HIV? It's not something I've ever realyy thought about and now I'm thinking, oh my god what if I have? Just another worry to add to what seems like a novel full at the moment... image
  • MiaLeaceyMiaLeacey Posts: 1,184
    Yay, my scan's in a week so not long to go. I know what you mean about feeling better when I see a baby though - I am freaking out!

Wasn't too freaked out about the HIV test - I know I don't have it as I got myself tested a few years ago when I first met my husband. Was just generally freaked out as I hate needles!
  • mum2be2011mum2be2011 Posts: 1,172
    I know I hate needles too and I was shocked at how much blood they actually take! I've never had an HIV test before, it's never crossed my mind until now, I'm sure my iron levels are going to come back really low too because my eating's not been great. I've gone off a lot of food and it doesn't help that we're in the process of getting a new kitchen so I have no cooking facilities at all, take aways and meals with the folks are wearing thin! Hopefully once new kitchen is in I will be able to concentrate on healthy eating as I'm very aware of how chunky I already feel! x