Forum home You & Your Baby

Having to wait!

Hi Girls,

well after my few hours of crying i can do a post! we were going to try for a baby in July after our 1st anniversary however doing the sums we really cant afford it so we will now wait until the new year.... i know money isnt everything and people manage but i dont want to stress about money when im having the best exeperience of my life!!!!

Sorry had to have a winge!

• 1302kld1302kld Posts: 73
    Didn't want to read and run. I am in exactly the same situation. I have been married for 6 months and at 33 years old I was hoping to get started pretty much straight away on trying for a baby but I just dont know how we will manage financially. We have a loan and a credit card and any spare cash we have has to go towards paying these off. Me and hubby both work full time but it will be a real struggle having to live off of just one wage. I am scared that if I wait much longer I may having problems conceiving because of my age. I feel your pain, its so hard and maternity pay is so poor. x
  • 1302kld1302kld Posts: 73
    Deleted. Double post.
  • cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    It is a really tricky one, we have held off the last 2 years as my husband was starting up a business but I am 34 this year and don't want to leave it any longer to try, as it can take up to a year to conceive even if don't have issues, and if do have issues GP's want you to have been trying for a year.

WE aren't in the best financial place but we have decided having a family is more important to us than money and we will make changes as we need to
  • Mrs-L-2bMrs-L-2b Posts: 1,702
    Waiting until the new year isnt that long, we are almost into May now image

I think it depends on how much debt you actually have, but a lot of people say if you wait until you can afford a baby, you will be waiting forever! Babies are expensive, like all the stuff you have to buy and then obviously only living on one salary during maternity (apart from the statutory maternity pay you get, which is about £400 a month i think?) but people manage, especially when a baby is unplanned.

But like you say, you dont want to be stressing over money when it should be an enjoyable time. Just enjoy the rest of this year being just the 2 of you and the new year will soon be here and you can hopefully start trying image
  • MrsDMDaviesMrsDMDavies Posts: 1,794 New bride
    The new year will come around very quickly! Enjoy the rest of the year with just the 2 of you. Having said that, will 8 months make a huge difference money wise? Life is so unpredictable, I tend to just go for things when they feel right! Only you and your husband will know when the best time for you is.

Good luck

xx
  • i know 1302kld i just keep thinking other people do it how i dont know!!! xxx
  • thanks Mrs-L-to-be i know its not long at all its just frustrating! lol never mind we have a few wedings and holidays to enjoy and im sure it will whizz by xxx