Pelvic scans

Hi everyone. Hope the baby planning is all coming along nicely. I went for a pelvic scan today as my GP was wondering about cysts. Marvellous! Anyway the lady who did it wouldn't tell me anything at all- even if it looked clear or not. Is this normal? She was intently staring at the screen and it beeped now and again. She wasn't overly friendly either. I have to wait a minimum of a week to find out from my GP. It just gets better! I feel even worse though as I was hoping this was our month and she'd tell me I was already pregnant. Anyway that's another story. Has anyone had pelvis scans and what happened for you? Thanks

• Mrs-L-2bMrs-L-2b Posts: 1,702
    Try not to read too much into it all. I have been for a couple of scans before (not just on my lady bits, but a general abdominal scan) and they told me there and then that everything was ok, but this was private so not sure if that makes any difference.

Easier said that done, but try and put it to the back of your mind until a week or so and then ring the doctors to see if results are available.
  • JHyamsJHyams Posts: 1,848
    I had one a while ago and the lady told me there and then that I had pcos and it was nhs (didn't have a problem conceiving though image )

Just try and relax and give the docs a call in a week x
  • PeasnCarrotsPeasnCarrots Posts: 1,831
    I think the beeps are when they are freezing the scan so they can take a proper look, try not to worry about it (easy for me to say I know) I think its normal to have to wait for the results. Good luck x
  • Thanks ladies. I'm just going to have to be patient on this one. I'm certain there is a problem though- I get odd twinges just recently and I'm almost sure they weren't there before. Oh well once I know we can get the ball rolling. x
  • sweetjouksweetjouk Posts: 792
    It is common in scans or xrays for things like this for them not to tell you anything - good or bad. In some NHS trust areas staff can be disciplined for giving info on outcome there and then because a consultant has to look at and ok the diagnosis before it can be confirmed and passed onto patient. Some NHS trusts do this cos they've been sued by people who have been told everything is ok / not ok by scanner and then later told scanner was wrong and shouldn't have said anything.

My 12 week scan pics had to be stamped on the back with a rubber stamp saying, 'Not for use in litigation' so clearly they're a paranoid lot too!

Try not to read too much into it.

Fingers crossed for you xxx
  • MiaLeaceyMiaLeacey Posts: 1,184
    My husband had a chest xray and they wouldn't tell him anything, which panicked him, but all turned out to be fine!

Whatever the result Emmie at least you can move forward image

Good luck x
  • hufrihufri Posts: 146
    I think it depends on who carries out the scans. I've observed a variety of scans at work (I work at a hospital) and from experience, if a doctor carries out the scan then they feedback there and then but if a radiographer does it they can't comment on what they see. I wouldn't worry about the beeps, the machine makes various noises throughout the scan.
  • hufrihufri Posts: 146
    I think it depends on who carries out the scans. I've observed a variety of scans at work (I work at a hospital) and from experience, if a doctor carries out the scan then they feedback there and then but if a radiographer does it they can't comment on what they see. I wouldn't worry about the beeps, the machine makes various noises throughout the scan.
  • chick-basschick-bass Posts: 563
    I had a scan for pcos. The lady who did it basically told me there and then that I looked fine and that my ovaries were a normal size so it was unlikely I had pcos. I still had to see my gp a week later though, who confirmed this.