Consultant appointment

hi girls

I have a consultant appointment on Monday due to my raised BMI and I really don't know what to expect!

I'm quite scared that she's just gonna sit and tell me what a terrible mother I am for being fat and putting my unborn child at risk! If she's like that I really will cry!

I've had a problem with my weight for years and it's a topic I'm not comfortable talking about and am very sensitive about! I won't let my husband come to this appointment as I'm embarrassed that they'll have a go at me for being fat!

I know there are increased risks when bigger and I'll have to have a GTT at 28 weeks due to risk of gestational diabetes, so I wonder what else she'll have to say?

So far I haven't gained loads of weight and still don't look pregnant, although hubby and I can feel my stomach is alot harder than before! I'm so careful with what I'm eating and I walk the dog regularly for excersise!

I'm sooo scared image

• NowMrsMNowMrsM Posts: 536
    Awwwwww hun don't worry. In my experience most obs/gyne consultants are really nice- and used to emotional pregnant women so I doubt would be mean!

They just probably want to make sure you're aware of the risks, which you seem to be, and help you as much as they can.. It sounds as if you're already concious of your eating and exercise so I reckon you'll get a sensible pat on the back rather than an earbashing!

Quite often these appointments are a tick box exercise from your midwife/GP anyway....

Good luck xx
  • MummyR2BMummyR2B Posts: 169
    Sorry to gatecrash, my BMI was 38 when I was pregnant and I had no issues and had a home birth. It doesn't always mean the worst. Good luck hope it all goes ok for you.x
  • JHyamsJHyams Posts: 1,848
    I had the opposite problem of my bmi being too low. My mw has kept telling me to stop going to the gym, but its my hobbie and I'd be bored if I didn't go. Why don't you try doing light exercise, such as low impact aerobics, swimming, pilates, yoga and walking and do it for 30 minutes a day.

Its good for the mw to regularly check to make sure that your unborn child isn't at risk and that you're not going to do yourself any long term damage.

I have had to keep seeing my mw every fortnight throughout the pregnancy because my blood pressure kept dropping, but it went back to normal after I was doing even more exercise than normal... so I see it as a thing I have to do now! So think of seeing her regularly as a good thing to keep you in check. Hope it goes well xx
  • cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    Aqua aerobics is also really good exercise to do when pregnant. I know a girl that was following a healthy eating plan throughout her pregnancy and didn't actually then gain weight, she stayed the same, she had the baby and a week later was a stone lighter than she was when she got pregnant as she had followed this plan so you can maintain current BMI or even lower it rather than it going up
  • millscm1millscm1 Posts: 308
    Hi girls

Thanks for the support, it's too late to worry now, all I can do is make sure I'm healthy and taking regular exercise!

Gonna start aqua fit tomorrow evening and have signed up for nct pregnancy yoga too, it's supposed to help with the labour as well!

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow ???????