Forum home You & Your Baby

Feeling down- and vain

JHyamsJHyams Posts: 1,848
I've been feeling great throughout this pregnancy (am now coming up to 34 weeks), but today was not a good day.

I've started to get really bad backache so haven't worn a bra all day. Plus, I brought a dress a few weeks ago to wear for my cousin's wedding, when I'll be 38 weeks. I hate hate hate maternity clothes, they are so old and frumpy, despite all these designers claiming to design fashionable clothes... they aren't to my taste.

So I brought an LK Bennett dress in a size 12 (I'm pre pregnancy size 6). It looked OK in the shop, but I tried it on again today and I cried when I looked in the mirror. Its probably a mixture of hormones and being so sick of being pregnant. I'm happy to show off my bump, but in a way that doesn't make me feel fat and frumpy. I can't take the dress back because it was from Bicester, so was in the sale as last season. So will have a look when I go shopping tomorrow, otherwise I'll get a dress from asos.

Just wanted a moan really. 9 months is too long!

• NewMrsDaviesNewMrsDavies Posts: 660
    AW chin up chick!!!

Im sure you look lovely, a size 12 is nothing, a lovely bump and a summery outfit I envy you!!

Stay positive, think what you have to come very soon, enjoy all the attenetion now, have a hot bath, burn some candles, stick on a face mask and eat some chocolate and all will be well again!!!!

Sending a cwtch!x
  • cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    Have another look at the dress when not feeling so emotional, or is there someone that can come and give you some honest feedback?
  • JvLwithBabyBoyJvLwithBabyBoy Posts: 2,740 New bride
    oh hun i think all pregnant women feel this way sometimes. im 30+3 and like you i was a size 6 normally before pregnancy and although i also normally feel good about my pregnant body, i do have my days and moments where i feel like a total whale. i still have 2 more months to go and i know i will still grow lots and probably get more water retention and all sorts of lovely things that make it really hard to feel glowing and all that. pregnancy is a wonderful amazing experience and i am soooo grateful and cant wait to have this baby, but its not always a walk in the park. and maternity clothes mostly do suck, you are so right!
  • poppet12poppet12 Posts: 357
    Pregnancy is the time to really show off your bump! You can wear tight fitted stuff without worrying if your belly sticking out. ASOS do some nice maternity clothes. Plus whatever you wear most people will tell you that you are glowing.

So make the most of it, show off your bump and enjoy the remainder of your pregnancy. You will find that after your pregnancy you will miss your bump and being pregnant - I do at times. Even though I was huge by the end of it.

Hope you find an outfit, am sure you will look lovely.
  • NowMrsMNowMrsM Posts: 536
    I feel your pain..... I was a size 8/10 before I got pregnant and by the time I went on maternity leave at 34 weeks I felt fat and blobby and horrible... By the end of each day I resigned to wearing jogging bottoms which I hated as I was usually a member of the skinny jeans and heels brigade! I know some people love being pregnant but I can honestly say I hated it by the end! Unlike poppet I don't miss my bump one bit!

But now my little boy is 16 weeks, the skinny jeans are back in full force- tho the heels aren't quite yet image and I feel like myself again. I wouldn't change my little boy for the world but I certainly didn't enjoy the last stages in terms of my size and appearance...

Before you know it your bundle will be here and you'll be a fabulous yummy mummy!

I found that I got some real second hand bargain maternity dresses on eBay- some stuff which has barely been worn... I didn't want to spend loads as I knew I wouldn't be wearing it again!

Good luck x
  • mistyscottmistyscott Posts: 729
    Might be worth looking at non-maternity dresses in a stretchy jersey material? I've got one from Oasis (I think) and got loads of compliments the other day image Oh, and I was a size 14 pre-pregnancy so a 12 would be lovely! I know I'm not as far along as you, but he's a big boy so quite a bump already (as people love to point out to me...). Even though it can seem a waste of money buying mat clothes, I think the resulting confidence boost when wearing something that shows off bump is worth it. Hope you're feeling better x
  • JHyamsJHyams Posts: 1,848
    Thnaks for your replies ladies.

I put the dress on in front of my hubby and he did say that it didn't flatter me... and he is never normally honest about these things!

I brought another dress from coast. Again in a size 12, because the size 10 gave me too much of a page 3 look!!! But its a maxi dress so flows nicely. Plus I can get it altered when I (hopefully) return to my pre- pregnancy dress size. Hopefully, LK Bennett will give me a refund.

Can't wait to meet my little man. Brought a massage thing yesterday for my back from Body Shop... it has 2 balls on a stick... so you can imagine what it looks like image