Forum home You & Your Baby

Changing jobs after maternity leave

Anybody know where I would stand with this? I have only received statutory pay and it's my understanding that I wouldn't have to return to my current employers once my maternity leave finished. Is this correct?

At the moment I am due to return end of October and think I may start looking for a new job starting January, just out of decency really rather than leaving them in the lurch, but I don't want to continue in a job which has such long hours and often includes 6 day weeks.

Is it an awful, outdated idea that I don't care about a career anymore and would be happy with a job that will just cover the bills? x

• soon2bmrswsoon2bmrsw Posts: 520
    when i had my first child i was paid smp and it was paid from the social not my work im unsure why but it was. I never returned back to my job but got another job towards the end of my maternity leave and started straight there. I never had to pay anything back. weather things have changed over the past few years im not sure. x
  • cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    I have read for my work I get 6 weeks 90% pay, 12 weeks of half pay plus SMP, if I don't go back then I have to pay this 12 weeks of half pay back but not the SMP. As it suggests it is statutory. So I will go back for at least 13 weeks, but this can be part time.

I am toying with the idea of becoming a childminder once I get to this point
  • If you get the standard SMP 90% for first 6 weeks then £124.17 (or what it is) for the remaining 26 weeks you should be fine at handing your notice in. It's only when the employer give above the SMP (like the post above) you normally have to go back - for instance some council jobs pay 50% for x amount of time on the condition you return to work for 12 weeks or pay it back.
  • poppet12poppet12 Posts: 357
    You don't have to return your SMP and you would have to tell your employer 8 weeks before your official due date if you are going back. By then you would have exhausted your SMP.

I am in two minds too - whether to return to my job (I am head of a department) or find a local job just to cover the bills as I know I will never get the time back with my son. My career I can always pick up at a later stage.
  • NowMrsMNowMrsM Posts: 536
    Our maternity policy- NHS- says that if you don't return and do 3 months service then you have to pay all your maternity pay back...... But then they are quite generous, unlike our normal pay! So I'd check your companies policy.....

Its likely I'm going to lose my clinical speciality when I go back to work... Which before I had Noah I was very upset about as I'd worked hard to skill up for my extended role and really enjoyed it. Now however, I want a job where I can get in on time, leave bang on time, have no emotional need to work late to troubleshoot and can spend all the time I possibly can with Noah! What a change!

Xx
  • fruitpastille25fruitpastille25 Posts: 1,030
    Quoted:
    Now however, I want a job where I can get in on time, leave bang on time, have no emotional need to work late to troubleshoot and can spend all the time I possibly can with Noah! What a change!

Xx

My sentiments exactly!